Good post Dave.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't have part nor lot in this deal but if I did my experience of trying,operative word try, to keep a cow buffalo that belonged to a neighbor where it was supposed to be would induce me to vote not only no but hell no.

IME there ain't nothing in the known world that will stop a buffalo from going anywhere it wants to go if it wants to go bad enoungh.

Quando Omni Moritati
FNG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There's a romantic notion to a buffalo hunt... It's how the West was won!

That said, these are times for logical, well-thought action not romantic notions. Let the tribes have their buff, and if I want one I can pay them to let me shoot it. The elk and my cows are hard enough on my fence, I can't imagine living over there and dealing with those fence busters.

Count me as a no, sir.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for all comments.

Curious to see what everyone has to say.

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/21/13.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sammo...put me down for a 'no'..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of buffalo raised around where I live. Seems they are able to keep them on their own land but honestly don't know how much effort is put into containing them. I'm yes on free ranging buffalo on public land IF it can be demonstrated they can be contained on public land - Custer park has a large herd as do other parks. Frankly I would rather see public animals on public land verses some rancher's cattle, especially ranchers that won't allow me to cross their property to hunt the public land where they range their cattle.

Buffalo ranching is increasing in our area as the demand for buffalo meat goes up.

Carole King comes to mind when I see this topic. She purchased a ranch on the north end of Idaho's White Cloud mountains and proceeded to shutdown a historic access. I believe 'reasonable access' should be provide to public land - much like they have set up South Dakota's Black Hills.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
put me down as a no aswell....leaving out ofcourse the current hunts north of the park...

Last edited by rattler; 02/21/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
nope....free range is when they escape then go shoot them.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
They are a native species. They should not just be regulated to just the park and the National Bison Range. They should be treated like the wildlife that they are instead of the livestock that they are not. That being said I also come from a family of ranchers in rural Wyoming, so I can understand their side of the issue. And I feel like most hunters can understand that the needs of ranchers must also be taken into consideration, even after the bighorn sheep transplant bill, the corner crossing bill and the like that have happened this legislative session.

I would argue that the ranchers up there need to get their act together and come to the discussion table. It is going to eventually happen. But do they want it to happen with consideration of their needs taken into account? If they do then they need to start talking with biologists, with sportsmen and sportsmen groups, and with the FWP to establish a situation that everybody can live with and profit from.

However, I don't think that is going to happen. I fear that they won't, and then a herd will be established without their say. The lunatic Tea Party Republicans aren't always going to be in power in Helena, and the muddling in the wildlife issues hopefully won't happen to the extent that it has. The world is a changing place. I hope the ranchers up there make it a change they can live with.

Nels
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yukon brough in a few free range bison a decade ago and today their is OTC tags all winter so yes its a good thing, especially if you dont put a moose in the freezer in the fall.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are a native species. They should not just be regulated to just the park and the National Bison Range. They should be treated like the wildlife that they are instead of the livestock that they are not.

difference between elk/deer and bison.....elk and deer jump a ranchers fence, no cows get out......bison tear down the fence and the ranchers cows get out.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by rattler

difference between elk/deer and bison.....elk and deer jump a ranchers fence, no cows get out......bison tear down the fence and the ranchers cows get out.....

I understand the whole concept pretty well, it isn't too hard to get. One of my favorite stories my dad tells involves my dad and my grandpa looking all over the southern Bighorns for a couple weekends because one of their bulls got loose.

But I also don't think that our civilization can't come up to a solution to that problem. I am sure that we can come up with a solution. But it is going to require ranchers coming to the table to do so.

Nels
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if you have been around the buffalo on the reservations up here you would realize its not the ranchers that are the bad neighbors and unwilling to work things out, its the ones in charge of the buffalo.....there were even native ranchers speaking out against moving the YP buffalo up here....

Last edited by rattler; 02/21/13.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
From what I can tell there is a lot of tension between landowners and hunters in MT. Its a shame they cant find some common ground and unite against these out of state, tree hugger interests. Long term the APF isnt a good thing for hunters or ranchers.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not sure on the Bison deal. It would be nice to hunt free range bison in their natural habitat but at what cost. The corner crossing bill seems like something bought and paid for by the few rich land owners. I'm far from Montana but we have our fair share of azzholes that buy land and gate off the road that goes through their acreage cutting off access to CFR, state and federal land on the other side. Much the same as what your dealing with and the jack holes are out of state foreigners. That type of behavior is bad for everyone and leads to confrontation and people getting their land/property burned down and shots being fired. The Bison issue should be looked into with input from everyone not just forced down folks throats much like the wolves or they will just get shot off and be a waste of tax payer money.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No not enough open range! But get many more Movie Stars, in Mt. and they will do what they want, look what happaned to the white House!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Those things would be hell for ranchers. My vote is a no

Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,668
Posts18,493,711
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.