Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I penned a letter to the local paper last month and It got posted and replied on. so it required another response.

http://www.hbindependent.com/opinion/tn-hbi-0221-mailbag-20130220,0,5952196.story?page=2

Military weapons are not the problem

To those that keep saying we need to ban military weapons please do your homework.

The firearms used in Aurora, Colo. and Newtown, Conn. are semi automatic firearms just like 90% of all handguns shotguns and rifles sold in America.

They are not full auto rifles that the military uses. If you really want to ban something look at vehicles, knives and clubs they kill more people than firearms do every year.

ML

Re: "Military weapons are not the problem," Jan. 31 Mailbag:

The letter from Michael Liechty was dangerously misleading.

He substitutes the term "military weapons" for "military-style weapons." A semi-automatic AR-15 rifle is different than a selective fire or fully automatic M16 rifle. Both can be termed assault rifles that were banned in 1994 for a decade and should be banned today to the general public.

Both are specifically designed to kill people. They are not primarily hunting or recreational firearms. They both can fire large amounts of bullets quickly with high capacity magazines.

In the wrong hands, they can kill more people at one time than the "vehicles, knives, and clubs" cited by Mr. Liechty. Requiring background checks, closing loopholes and restricting high capacity magazines with armor-piercing ammunition, in addition to banning "military-style" weapons, are prudent precautions in making our society less dangerous.

Banning motor vehicles, steak knives, and cudgels not so much.

Tim Geddes

Huntington Beach

My latest reply

Re: "Military weapons are not the problem," Feb., 20 Mailbag:

The letter from Tim Geddes was extremely ignorant.

He claimed there is no difference between an M16 and the AR- 15, as for having no hunting or recreational vales. I suggest you accompany me on a predator/ varmint hunt or attend a 3-gun competition and have your eyes opened to how many use the semi auto AR- 15. Keep in mind the AR- 15 as used in aurora and sandy hook is no different than any other semi auto shotgun rifle and pistols that are used everyday. (1 bullet with each pull of the trigger) For the record armor piercing ammo has been illegal for a long time not to mention a bullet resistant vest is intended to stop hand gun ammo only and nearly every rifle round will defeat it so using your so called �armor piecing ammo� isn�t needed anyway. I have hunting rifles lots more powerful than the AR-15 so why the emphasis on the small caliber .223 semi auto rifle?

Tim is it the evil black plastic or the military looks you are so paranoid of.

ML

Last edited by Mntngoat; 02/22/13.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Post any followups. It will be interesting to see how this progresses.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like good fun! laugh

Keep up the good work!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i love to [bleep] with stupid people, it makes my day go by faster lol

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Mntngoat

Tim is it the evil black plastic or the military looks you are so paranoid terrified of.

ML

Hope you don't mind the correction. These people are terrified of their own shadow, let alone a rifle that happens to have some black plastic.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And even if you magically managed to keep guns away from monsters, they could simply turn to other weapons, explosives, etc for their crimes.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
And even if you magically managed to keep guns away from monsters, they could simply turn to other weapons, explosives, etc for their crimes.

got any gasoline??

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
just don't expect your fellow to ever give up. When logic and facts fail the left, as they already have with Geddes, he will rely solely on emotion and lies.

Sam......

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hit him with the specs of the homeland Security's recent request for quote for firearms:

short barrel/more concealable, 5.56mm, 30 round mag, pistol grip, folding stock, full auto.

All things the AWB equates to an assault weapon, yet the government calls it a Personal Defense Weapon...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SIC EM. Please post any follow ups, could be entertaining. I love pissing off people who are a little too serious about themselves.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RWE
hit him with the specs of the homeland Security's recent request for quote for firearms:

short barrel/more concealable, 5.56mm, 30 round mag, pistol grip, folding stock, full auto.

All things the AWB equates to an assault weapon, yet the government calls it a Personal Defense Weapon...

Ilike it! That next week.

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by levrluvr

Tim is it the evil black plastic or the military looks you are so paranoid terrified of.

ML

Hope you don't mind the correction. These people are terrified of their own shadow, let alone a rifle that happens to have some black plastic.

Thank you

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You've got a good start now throw some statistics at him to discredit him. Such as murders with guns vs other "tools". Numbers of deaths from drunk driving vs firearms. And percentage of murders using assault weapons vs. all other weapons.
You'll never sway him but you can point out you're providing facts and he's providing nothing based on emotion. You may sway others who are following this. We HAVE the gun owners on our side, and we'll never have the antis, regardless the facts. We need the ones in the middle, mostly ignorant masses to hear facts. So throw some facts and statistics out there.

Here's a good place to start:
http://www.gunfacts.info/
http://factcheck.org/2012/12/gun-rhetoric-vs-gun-facts/

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

Ilike it! That next week.

ML

I'll dig up the RFP number and specs and pm it to you

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The people who wrote the 2nd amendment had just fought a war in which personal firearms were key to their victory. When you read their comments it is clear the purpose of the 2nd was to allow the citizens to be able to fight against tyranny.

Obama has committed numerous violations of law and the constitution and is a tyrant. Smuggling guns to the terrorists in Mexico. Refusal to provide documents to Congress investigating Fast and Furious. Making recess appointments when the Senate was not in recess. Modifying US law to provide amnesty for illegals. Modifying US law to give himself the power to grant states waivers to the welfare work requirements in US law. All illegal and criminal actions. It is likely that we will need our assault rifles to fight against his rule.

Last edited by ConradCA; 02/22/13.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only three percent of gun related deaths involve rifles.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,814 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,739
Posts18,514,460
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.