Hop To
Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SLM
Exactly my point.

I do not know anything about the Montana plan but if they were looking at putting buffalo next to ground I owned I would be fighting it.

Because it's all about the dollar right?

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Free ranging, wild bison sound like a great idea to me, but not just in Montana. I'd like to see them across most of their historic range.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
Why do I have to pay for it? If the neighbors dog is chitting on my yard and I put up a fence to stop it, does the neighbor pay for it? Does the town? No.

What do you think the price difference is between fencing your 1/4 acre to keep fido out VS miles of buff proof fence is?

I could care less what it would cost them. If they don't want to fence them out they can:

1. Take pictures of them in their yards
2. Shoo them away with a broomstick
3. Sell the place and get a real job like the rest of the world

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mudhen
Originally Posted by SLM
You going to pay for it?

Montana, like many western states, is a "fence out" state. Most of the state is "free range" with the exceptions of some urban and special use areas. If you don't want livestock on your land, whether they are privately or publicly owned, it is your responsibility to fence them out. If you don't have a fence and livestock wanders onto your property, you have no recourse in law against the owner(s).

A fair number of folks purchase land in these western states not realizing this. They often become indignant or even disbelieving when they find out that keeping the neighbor's livestock off their property is their responsibility. In New Mexico, where I live, if you harm an animal that wanders onto your property either intentionally or inadvertently, you are liable for damages. This applies to livestock that you may hit on the highway, too.

^
This!

Next buff that comes out of the park, put it in a trailer and take it to the breaks!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
Why do I have to pay for it? If the neighbors dog is chitting on my yard and I put up a fence to stop it, does the neighbor pay for it? Does the town? No.

What do you think the price difference is between fencing your 1/4 acre to keep fido out VS miles of buff proof fence is?

I could care less what it would cost them. If they don't want to fence them out they can:

By that you mean get a place in town with the rest of the sheep?

MAGA
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by rl11
Originally Posted by SLM
Exactly my point.

I do not know anything about the Montana plan but if they were looking at putting buffalo next to ground I owned I would be fighting it.

Would you be for it there was a chance it would cost YOU a substantial amount of money?

Last edited by SLM; 02/22/13.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd like to see more Buffalo in Montana. However, if the government or a big group funded by ??????? is involved, you can expect the citizen/taxpayers of the State of Montana would be the losers in the long run.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SLM
Exactly my point.

No, it's about common sense, something they obviously don't teach at UM.

Randy, who is your employer?

As for the free range deal that is more or less long gone. Sure some lazy guys don't keep their fence up but most everyone else tries to keep their livestock in the pasture. That's just the way it is(and should be).

It still is funny that some of you guys want to use buff as a pawn against landowners out here in the sticks. I guess it's more sad than anything, certainly appears to be an east versus west fight as well. Sorry you westside guys have to deal with out of state pricks putting up no hunting signs every 100' but don't go blame us.

Trust me, 99% of the people who actually live out here do not want the buff.

Dinkshooter, you are one funny troll.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think the problem with something like this, is it looks good on paper. The people that are often behind projects like this are dreamers and usually live hundred's of miles from the project (or herd). While its the locals who have to live with them day in and day out dealing with all the bullchit.

If they are introduced most people will watch/photograph them from the highway, say that was neat and go home. That's it. Maybe a few tags will be issued. But if i was going to hunt one, I'd pay a rancher and get one that was fed right.

The worlds constantly evolving and the buffalo got left behind. Their fate was sealed a hundred years ago.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by SLM

By that you mean get a place in town with the rest of the sheep?

Or by that I mean be a man and defend your own property and make a honest living. Either that or move to town. Buck up and accept the cost of yourself doing business/making a living. The buff was there first, deal with it.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Free range bison?

Elk are hard as hell on fence. I can't even imagine a big herd of bison doin' their thing.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well Shane, I guess buff were here first so we're [bleep].....grin

Worst thing is a buff fence would be really hard on all the other critters. Elk, antelope and deer numbers would no doubt go down

Dinkshooter, when was the last time you were out in the area we are discussing?

Here's a couple more honest questions that I asked earlier.

Those of you who think it's a good idea, how you do propose to control herd movements? Natural winter migrations, drought conditions, etc..

Or I guess I'll come right out and ask, if they are free range wildlife shouldn't they be allowed to roam wherever they want?

The Yellowstone deal appears to be a bit of a mess, what's to prevent that from happening somewhere else?

I highly doubt a buff knows private from public ground.

Another question, how far can a (healthy/adult)buff travel in one day?

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/22/13.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by SLM
Exactly my point.

No, it's about common sense, something they obviously don't teach at UM.

Randy, who is your employer?

As for the free range deal that is more or less long gone. Sure some lazy guys don't keep their fence up but most everyone else tries to keep their livestock in the pasture. That's just the way it is(and should be).

It still is funny that some of you guys want to use buff as a pawn against landowners out here in the sticks. I guess it's more sad than anything, certainly appears to be an east versus west fight as well. Sorry you westside guys have to deal with out of state pricks putting up no hunting signs every 100' but don't go blame us.

Trust me, 99% of the people who actually live out here do not want the buff.

Dinkshooter, you are one funny troll.

It sucks being used as a pawn and then being told if you don't like it to pay up anyway.

I guess thats the new Montana way.

Dink

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dink, not another one.......laughin'!

Lemme guess, rancher's are to blame for the price increase.

This is getting funnier by the minute.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Residents are to blame and i am sure some of them were/are ranchers.

I find it ironic that now people voting to cost you/your dad money its a bad thing but when it was the other way around I was told to the pay the [bleep] up.

I guess if this goes through you will have to pay the [bleep] up or deal with those big shaggy beast.

Dink

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dink, WTF?

Sorry you can no longer afford to come hunt. I don't have alot of extra spending money either, never once hunted out of state.

Lots of free time though.

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/22/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Adult bison can jump a standard five-wire fence flat-footed--even the big bulls. The calves, however, don't jump all that well. The cows push the fences down so that the calves can follow. If you give them enough room and groceries, they are not all that prone to roam. Adding a single heavier wire to tops of the posts in a standard livestock fence is usually enough to contain a herd as long as they have forage and water.

When I lived in Kansas in the 1970s, I was asked to visit a state park north of Wichita that had a small bison herd. Their management plan dictated that if a bison got out, it was culled. Over the years, they had created a herd that would remain in the same draw and eat themselves out of house and home. The animals would not walk over the ridge to the next draw which had plenty of forage. They had to be hazed.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That herd probably was inbred, just like the Yellowstone herd.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dinkshooter and the outta state experts don't even realize things like that.

Have fun chasing the inbred buff around in your loin cloth.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Dinkshooter and the outta state experts don't even realize things like that.

Have fun chasing the inbred buff around in your loin cloth.

The people in East Central MT are inbred, why shouldn't the wildlife be? shocked

I only spent about 3 weeks there back in 2004 chasing wapiti. It was outstanding beautiful wild country that could only be improved by adding more outstanding beautiful wild critters.

Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,866
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.