-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been relying on the Solunar tables online that one of our local TV stations puts on their website but they never seemed to predict game movements correctly.

A buddy bought a "Woods and Water" magazine a couple of days ago and he quoted their solunar major and minor feed times for that day and they didn't match my local TV station's times.

Does anyone know a good source for RELIABLE solunar tables?

BTW... I'm in the Tallahassee Florida area and the website for my local solunar tables is here and it's VERY convenient to check them on my iPhone so I wish they were right.
http://www.wctv.tv/sports/misc/6646917.html

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's an app on iPhone called isolunar, I find it to be very accurate. I hunt near Yeehaw Junction.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks... I'll check it out... Last day of muzzleloader season here so headed for lease for one last try on another freezer filler...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe them deers don't watch TV so they don't know when they are supposed to move.

Quando Omni Moritati
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Maybe them deers don't watch TV so they don't know when they are supposed to move.
ditto

i just stick with what works first 3 hours of light and last thee hours of light and every chance i can be in the woods

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. I too suggest that ones deer are not much for watching the tube. Wind, rain, cold/heat, threat presence, and available food sources have more to do with their diurnal behavior than moon phase.

There may be an exception when a population lives on an island, dines on seaweed, and they have to base their schedule on the tides. Even then, the direct effect is the tides.

Some research I was privy to suggested elk are slightly more active on full moon nights, but they were also more active during the day too.

Hunt when the season's open and forget the moon.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/24/13.

1Minute
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hi,best time to kill a deer is when you are actually hunting with a gun.
Forget all that crap and stay on stand !Or still hunt, whatever you do but just get out there.

Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
http://www.solunarforecast.com/solunarcalendar.aspx

I am a believer. Especially when unusual weather/hunting pressure are not a factor.

stumpy

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger

They do watch the calendar though, and will be out in droves the day after season is over.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by billy336
There's an app on iPhone called isolunar, I find it to be very accurate. I hunt near Yeehaw Junction.

I really like this app... I use it all the time now and have found that the predictions on feeding times seem to closely coincide with when I see game.

It's very easy and user friendly and it's so incredibly convenient to check on it anywhere you are or at any time.

Those of you that don't use an iPhone or similar pocket gadget when you hunt are missing out on a very wide range of features in a very small and extremely versatile tool. Other than my rifle it's always the first thing I reach for anytime I venture from the house.

I have the luxury of being self employed and can pretty much pick which days I hunt and constantly check weather and solunar tables and draw on my past experience in the places where I hunt to plan my trips. It's still largely luck when deer show up but I feel that I increase my odds when I pay attention to solunar and weather predictions.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I used to pay a lot of attn so the solar luner stuff.
YEARS ago. I found most of it to be unreliable.

These days the only thing I pay attn to is the full
Moon. I won't plan hunting days/trips on a full moon.

Other than that my motto is "if you ain't in the woods
You can't kill them"

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In college we did very intensive camera studies, approximately 1 camera for every 10 acres and complied thousands uppon thousands of images that were entered into a database for time etc...along with several studies we did with radio transmitters in collars on deer and we never came up with any tie to the tables at all.

Otto is my co-pilot.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sorry to hear that your study proved negative. I was hoping for a reason some days you saw a lot of deer activity and some you didn't. Last year was a lot of coincidence between movement and tables/moon for us in Goliad Co.
Maybe it was just that. Coincidence.

Was weather a part of the data? Was it during fall/winter?
Was the land hunted?
Sounds like you had a lot of activity in the area you were studying.

stumpy

Last edited by stumpy; 03/01/13.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I pay the woman down the road to read tea leaves for the best times to hunt. I find it significantly more accurate than solunar tables.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I do believe in the lunar phases. Hunting with the moon directly overhead and directly underfoot. Especially if those times occur at dawn or dusk. If possible, I plan my hunting trips accordingly. If not, I go anyway.

https://fishgame.com/article.php?ArticleID=596\

http://www.weather.com/activities/recreation/outdoors/fishing/fishingarticle.html

stumpy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LDHunter
Originally Posted by billy336

I really like this app... I use it all the time now and have found that the predictions on feeding times seem to closely coincide with when I see game.

It's very easy and user friendly and it's so incredibly convenient to check on it anywhere you are or at any time.

Those of you that don't use an iPhone or similar pocket gadget when you hunt are missing out on a very wide range of features in a very small and extremely versatile tool. Other than my rifle it's always the first thing I reach for anytime I venture from the house.

I have the luxury of being self employed and can pretty much pick which days I hunt and constantly check weather and solunar tables and draw on my past experience in the places where I hunt to plan my trips. It's still largely luck when deer show up but I feel that I increase my odds when I pay attention to solunar and weather predictions.

Uh huh ..... I'll pass on the gadgetry .... don't need it and don't want it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I find that reading my horoscope is about as accurate as the solunar tables.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute

Some research I was privy to suggested elk are slightly more active on full moon nights, but they were also more active during the day too.

Hunt when the season's open and forget the moon.

That matches my limited experience, in which times of full moon equate to more elk movement later into the morning and earlier in the evening. Could be a coincidence and nothing more.

+1 on the the second part. The biggest success factor I've found is to stay in the field during hunting hours.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The biggest success factor I've found is to stay in the field during hunting hours.

My findings too. The more time in the field, the higher the success rate. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

374 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 40 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,402 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,316
Posts18,526,374
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.