Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I have this Pre'64 Model 70 in 30.06 that my father got in 1951. In all I'd reasonably guess that it has only 100 or so rounds through it.

About a year ago I put it in a Bell & Carlson stock. Finally took it out today and was pretty happy with the accuracy I received.

Several times it failed to eject the spent round. The claw slipped off the rim of the case. Unfortunately I didn't separate those cases from the rest.

I removed the firing pin assembly and ran some 35 rounds thru it without a hitch.

The front of the extractor blade appears to be intact with no clips or anything broken.

Any idea what might be going on here???

If more info is needed please ask!!!

HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Doesn't sound like your typical pre 64 model 70. What gives???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have had model 70's do this due to the claw not holding the case tightly against the bolt face. Check to see if the claw will hold a empty case against the bolt face with the bolt out of the gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
rah, You say "failed to eject". Did it extract from the chamber and then fail to throw clear of port?
Or did the claw slip off and leave a stuck case?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Work briskly and see if it works correctly.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
I have this Pre'64 Model 70 in 30.06 that my father got in 1951. In all I'd reasonably guess that it has only 100 or so rounds through it.

About a year ago I put it in a Bell & Carlson stock. Finally took it out today and was pretty happy with the accuracy I received.

Several times it failed to eject the spent round. The claw slipped off the rim of the case. Unfortunately I didn't separate those cases from the rest.

I removed the firing pin assembly and ran some 35 rounds thru it without a hitch.

The front of the extractor blade appears to be intact with no clips or anything broken.

Any idea what might be going on here???

If more info is needed please ask!!!

Try a new extractor. I think Brownell's sells them. Check the ejector and ejector spring. Replace if needed.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 338Federal
rah, You say "failed to eject". Did it extract from the chamber and then fail to throw clear of port?
Or did the claw slip off and leave a stuck case?

It never failed to pull the fired case from the chamber. The case slipped off the ejector once it was above the next round!

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by raybass
Work briskly and see if it works correctly.

I removed the firing pin assembly and did work it briskly with loaded ammo, all the cases literally flew out.

At the range a couple times when a spent case slipped off I rechambered it and worked it briskly and several times it still slipped off!!!

Could the brass have any effect on this???

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I had a M70 pre 64 300 Win Mag behave in similar fashion one time when I put it in an after market stock...I put it back in the original stock and it functioned perfectly.Why I don't know but suspect it had something to do with the whole follower,ejector/timing relationship.

I tossed the after market stock in the corner...pre 64 M70's work the nuts until folks start messing around with them.

Your rifle is ejecting live ammo because there is a bullet in the front to add inertia...this is absent in fired cases.It has to be retimed in the hands of a good smith.Something got screwed up moving it to an aftermarket stock.

Sounds like the ejector is not riding up as briskly as it should when the bolt is stroked to the rear.

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/24/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I had a M70 pre 64 300 Win Mag behave in similar fashion one time when I put it in an after market stock...I put it back in the original stock and it functioned perfectly.Why I don't know but suspect it had something to do with the whole follower,ejector/timing relationship.

I tossed the after market stock in the corner...pre 64 M70's work the nuts until folks start messing around with them.

Your rifle is ejecting live ammo because there is a bullet in the front to add inertia...this is absent in fired cases.It has to be retimed in the hands of a good smith.Something got screwed up moving it to an aftermarket stock.

How do you re time a Mod 70 action ???

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BWalker
I have had model 70's do this due to the claw not holding the case tightly against the bolt face. Check to see if the claw will hold a empty case against the bolt face with the bolt out of the gun.

Just did some looking into this and at Ben's suggestion I tried a few things. I was shooting Hornady and Federal ammo. The empty Hornady cases will not stay in the end the bolt. The federal cases snapped in and stayed in!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are some rather substantial dimension differences among cartridge brands. For a year or so bags of Win 45-70 unprimed brass were arriving with 3 to 5 Horn cartridges inside. The Horns were about 1/16" shorter. A recent discussion on 6.5x55 cartridges exposed the fact that rim diameters vary substantially among makers too.

One might do some diameter and thickness measurements and get back to us with the results. Always glad to garner info here without having to do it through experience.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/24/13.

1Minute
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
1minute......I did do some measurements. The outside diameter of the extractor groove was as much as .015" bigger on the Federal brass than on the Hornady brass. The Federal ammo stuck good on the bolt....so good that even skaking it wouldn't free the brass.

The Hornady ammo is the most accurate in this rifle.....it figures!!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
1minute......I did do some measurements. The outside diameter of the extractor groove was as much as .015" bigger on the Federal brass than on the Hornady brass. The Federal ammo stuck good on the bolt....so good that even skaking it wouldn't free the brass.

The Hornady ammo is the most accurate in this rifle.....it figures!!!

I'd say .015" is quite a bit. I would call Hornady and see if that is THEIR version of SAAMI specs or a QC issue that got away from them. Keep us posted.

Nicely done here to dope out the problem before an unecessary trip to the "gun doctor".

Last edited by bigwhoop; 02/24/13.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If that extractor is balking because of minor dimensional differences in brass,I'd replace it...in over 40 years of shooting and hunting pre 64 M70's, I've never seen an extrator fail to function for that reason....matter of fact I can't recall one failing to extract and eject ...period.

I think you got a bad one, or needs adjustment....seems it is not holding the cases firmly against the bolt face when the case hits the ejector.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
rahtreelimbs,

This has been covered in the past. The first thing to check is the extractor cartridge "pinch". To do this remove the bolt from the reciver, rotate the extractor to the proper position, the extractor should hold the round on the bolt face. If not, the tail of the extractor needs to be adjusted. To adjust the extractor tail you must remove the extractor from the bolt and bend the tail to create pressure on the cartridge in the bolt face.

I hope this helps,
Headache

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Headache
rahtreelimbs,

This has been covered in the past. The first thing to check is the extractor cartridge "pinch". To do this remove the bolt from the reciver, rotate the extractor to the proper position, the extractor should hold the round on the bolt face. If not, the tail of the extractor needs to be adjusted. To adjust the extractor tail you must remove the extractor from the bolt and bend the tail to create pressure on the cartridge in the bolt face.

I hope this helps,
Headache
Just saw this thread today - and your advice is spot on..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I had a conversation with Redneck today and he told me how to make a few adjustments on the extractor. This seems to have cured my problem!!!

Thanx Redneck!!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Always willing to help a M70 owner whenever I can.. Best wishes Rich.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Redneck/Headache:
Adjusting the "tail". Does it mean you bend it closer to the bolt face? How is that done? With a small hammer? Hand pressure?
Thanks, it would be a good thing to know given the number of 'pre 64's in the sage.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 02/26/13.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 16gage, 52 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,828
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.