Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sactoller
Rebarreled .30-06 ultralight to .275 Rigby, stock refinished by Karnis.
[Linked Image]

Rebarreled 7mmrem to .308 Norma in McMillan
[Linked Image]

My 9.3x62 with a Lothar Walther barrel, stock by Karnis.
[Linked Image]

Rebarreled .243Win to .257 Roberts, in McMillan Ultralight stock.
[Linked Image]

Rebarreled .270 to 6.5-06AI in McMillan, GAP pattern.
[Linked Image]

Waiting to be stocked is an 8x57 started life as a .30-06. Trying to decide whether to have Karnis reshape a stock or order a McMillan. (damn life decisions are hard eek)

My hat goes off to you my friend....You've got a damn nice Ruger collection...I was just thinking my Ruger collection isn't up there (like I'd like) since my model 70 affliction started... sick...Those Rugers are true workhorses, every bit as tough and accurate as a win model 70 and every bit as attractive...Nice collection..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
That's too cool! 275 Rigby(7X57). I've been intrigued by the round for some time now. One of our local rifle smiths chambers for it. You have a NICE collection of Rugers for sure.

Last edited by Otter6; 02/23/13.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you for the compliments. I don't have a round top yet. Had a flat bolt, but it was stolen! mad

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

This is how she did on her first outing (after bedding of course) with factory fodder....:
[Linked Image]

Still need to work up a good 130gr. noz part load for it though...Shows some promise..for a tanger I suspose... wink

Don't you love it when a rifle shoots like that with factory ammo? Especially when you haven't paid a fortune for it?

Of course, the trigger person is partly responsible, too...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

This is how she did on her first outing (after bedding of course) with factory fodder....:
[Linked Image]

Still need to work up a good 130gr. noz part load for it though...Shows some promise..for a tanger I suspose... wink

Don't you love it when a rifle shoots like that with factory ammo? Especially when you haven't paid a fortune for it?

Of course, the trigger person is partly responsible, too...

Yes, I love it when a plan comes together grin....I'm sure the bedding job helped too. I wish the weather would be more cooperative around here. I'd like to start testing some 130 noz partitions out in this ol girl grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Sorry, I can't do pictutres and I've only had one. Got it as limited run 7X57 in 1972. Hollow bolt knob, etc. Sights. Carried it and killed all sorts of stuff, my heaviest deer, my B&C pronghorn, etc.
About 2001, I had her redone as a .280. Pac-Nor barrel, McM Ruger Stock in their dark camo, etc. Had the whole thing lightend a couple of years ago. Shoots groups down to .5 MOA regularly with select loads, and now weighs 7.5 lbs. empty w/ 6X42 Leupold. One gun I won't sell. Too much history of dependable service. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many tanger's have come and gone. Here are the present tangers.

Been with me since 1973 22-250V, dog leg bolt on it's 4th barrel.
[Linked Image]

Twins - .257 Roberts
[Linked Image]

257 Roberts LT (Long Throat)
[Linked Image]

35 Whelen
[Linked Image]

7x57 Mauser
[Linked Image]

270 Win. Took it in on a trade and it's been in the closet ever since. Donor rifle for something else, maybe.
[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My 35 Whelen.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And 250 AI Savage.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Otter6;
Hopefully other than requiring a tang Ruger fix, this finds you and yours doing acceptably well.

With apologies to those folks who've seen these photos previously, I'm another hunter who indeed has a pet 77.

It started life as a Liberty Model in .338Win and in that chambering with the original stock, it accounted for at least 2 local mulie bucks and 3 black bears as far as I can recall this afternoon.

Along the way, I modified the action a wee bit so it would feed reliably, lightened the trigger and then had a Parker Hale .30 caliber barrel installed and chambered to .308 Norma. I rust blued the barreled action at that time and put it into a Ramline stock - one of the wood grain ones they made - for a very brief time.

Afterwards, I did up a stock to fit my non standard body type from a Richards Microfit semi-inletted blank and that's how it looks today.
[Linked Image]

Over the years it's proven to be one of those "lucky rifles" for me somehow. It's killed a bunch of mulie bucks that I can't find photos of and ironically even though I built it for hunting mulies in the sage brush hillsides and steep feeder creeks in the local mountains, it's ended up being particularly hard on the local whitetails.
[Linked Image]

It accounted for my first - and only - Okanagan legal spike fork bull moose.
[Linked Image]

Lastly, it was in my hands the morning I ran into the best whitetail I've taken to date.
[Linked Image]

Anyway, it does fit your description so hopefully it's OK that I've thrown up those photos again.

Thanks for the thread and all the best to you in the upcoming week.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/23/13. Reason: better sentence?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thank you Sir. Much appreciate the pics and that is a dandy old 77. I like your mods. A friend of mine has a reamer for the 30/338 that I've been trying to find a use for. Should I end up with a "Tanger" 77 for a project base,I can't think of a better chambering for it. That is a super whitetail my friend. Thanks again for posting.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Have owned a couple, one an 06, the other a .220 swift..now both long gone for many years...

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
4 of them in my safe, the first was a 338WM inherited from my grandmothers brother, I consider it a family heirloom, it'll NEVER leave and its a great elk slayer too!, it spurred my interest in them and led to the acquisition of a 300WM, 30-06 and a 7x57 that was NIB when I got it in September!, had too scrape the gunked up grease that Ruger put on it in '72 so I could shoot it!

ASE master certified engine machinist
Truck tech
REDNECK!
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I've dreamed of running across a NIB deal like that. Never have,likely never will. What a cool deal that would be. A 40 year old virgin.

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine in 30-06.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Three shot group at 100m 165 Sierra GK.
[Linked Image]

Pieter

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M77 tanger Varmint 243 Win, twisted 12 was my first varmint gun. Had it now for 28 years

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Took it to a 20 round score match last month @ 200 yards, 20 shots for record in 20 minutes ,heres the target. Still shoots good.

[Linked Image]

Swifty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice shooting swifty....

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I picked this one up a while back, M77R(rings, no sights) in 300WM, unfired with a Leupold 3X9 Vari X II on it. Came with the original box, owners manual, even the little red felt bag that the rings came in.
[Linked Image]

Serial number of 74-33XXX would put it at 1979 production. I'm kind of 'Ruger stupid' you could say, not knowing much about them. It's my understanding they had Douglas barrels for a while, there was a transition period, etc. and some of the barrels weren't the best. Can anyone tell me about the barrels, transition period and venture an educated guess as to what barrel this gun might have on it? Thanks.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
NICE 300 Wink. I can't tell you about the ins and outs of Ruger barrels. Mine were all early 80s vintage and all shot quite well. The 243 did have a crooked chamber. It bulged brass lop sided enough I'd only size them twice then pitch them. The 280V and 338 were straight as a pin and MOA or less.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My beloved 6mm Rem
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
No pic of the rifle but I did take this mulie with it too.
[Linked Image]

I think I've killed over 20 antelope and who knows how many rock chucks with it.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I had a #1 in 6mm and it was a killing machine. 100gr Hornadys and 4350 if I mind right. 70gr HPs for woodchucks. I just couldn't fall in love with the trigger though. The rifle was,and still are the most natural pointing rifles I ever owned. AND it had a TANG safety. The only place for a safety in my mind.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,187
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.