Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
chance Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Maybe this has been asked before but I was just wondering if anyone sizes unfired brass before they use it. I never have but other reloaders tell me they do. To me it seens like a waste of time but they say it makes sure the necks are straight and round.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Always....not adverse to cleaning up the necks and doing the flash holes and primer pockets as well.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Never...unless the case necks are beat up, then i may run them over the expander. boattails will iron out some pretty good dents though

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Always....not adverse to cleaning up the necks and doing the flash holes and primer pockets as well.

Not adverse.........averse.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Word police gotta love em............I do size new brass to clean up the neck.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Correct...I typed that whilst serving a customer, please consider me suitably chastised.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always size brass, one less variable in the precision train.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I go with the advice of my betters who are indeed the gunwriters and who have written books and appeared in videos addressing this exact subject.

That is I typically run a carbide expander ball through the neck - carbide to avoid lubrication - or a Lyman Type M die or a neck turning mandrill or what ever seems best at the time for the particular lot of cases - which can differ with the make of case and the packaging and the handling before I got them. That is current production Lapua, old production (packaging) Lapua and bulk packaged range scrap just might get different treatment.

On the other hand believing as I do that resizing changes the brass I'm dubious that my changes improve on the maker's factory efforts

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers

On the other hand believing as I do that resizing changes the brass I'm dubious that my changes improve on the maker's factory efforts

that and avoiding unnecessary work hardening (and unnecessary work) are my thoughts also.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There's no reason to resize factory-new brass, except for straightening out and uniforming the diameter of the inside of the inside of the neck. That can be accomplished, as Clark noted, by running the neck over an expander ball. (I will note that new brass is prettyt slick, so there's no need for a carbide expander ball on new necks--though it definitely helps with fired brass.)

There are two possible negatives to sizing new brass:

1) If you adjust a full-length sizing die the way most instructiuons suggest, by screwing the die down until it firmly contacts the shell-holder, the cases may end up slightly short. This causes stretching and possible head separations. Many people who've contacted me, asking why they're getting head separations in 2-3 firings of new brass turn out to have been full-length sizing it before the first firing.

2) The standard full-length sizing die with an expander ball is fairly likely to pull the neck of the case out of alignment with the body. New brass is almost always VERY straight, because there's no expander ball involved in the final forming. So all you're doing is making the brass less straight.

If you want to demonstrate why new factory brass is straight, take the expander ball assembly out of your full-length die. Size a fired case, then measure the neck run-out. With rare exceptions, the neck straightness will be within .001" of the case body. This is EXACTLY how the final forming of factory brass is fone.

Now, put the expander ball assembly back in the die, and resize the same case. About 90% of the time neck will almost always not be as straight as it was before, and sometimes will quite crooked, as much as .005" out of round with the body.

This is why a lot of handloaders use bushing or collet dies WITHOUT expander balls. But even bushing or collet dies don't improve on the straightness of new brass. They won't hurt new brass, but they won't help it either. Which is why full-length resizing new brass is a waste of time.

All of which is exactly why I only run the neck over an expander ball, instead of running the entire case into a full-length die.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I usually only run an expander to true up the mouth and neck,chamfer and that's it..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I "resize" to get out the dents, there's no actual resizing going on.

I do trim and chamfer to get the whole lot to the same starting point. I've noticed overall length differences in brass out of the same bag and length is pretty close to maximum. Well past my usual trim-to length usually. Or maybe I'm just lucky buying brass.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've even seen new brass length beyond SAAMI maximum. But the subject of this thread was sizing unfired brass, not trimming.
They're separate subjects.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that many handloaders like to spend time on procedures that make absolutely no difference--though most of them don't have the potential to create problems, like resizing new brass.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mea culpa. I didn't recall length being addressed when prepping new brass so I meant to spark the thought.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you want to demonstrate why new factory brass is straight, take the expander ball assembly out of your full-length die. Size a fired case, then measure the neck run-out. With rare exceptions, the neck straightness will be within .001" of the case body. This is EXACTLY how the final forming of factory brass is fone.

Now, put the expander ball assembly back in the die, and resize the same case. About 90% of the time neck will almost always not be as straight as it was before, and sometimes will quite crooked, as much as .005" out of round with the body.

So Mule Deer, if the expander ball likely if not obviously violates the Handloader's Hippocratic Oath why use it at all?? If the hole in the neck is large enough to accept the bullet base why not just let the bullet be the expander?? At least for fired brass.

Last edited by shootem; 02/24/13.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm not answering for MD, but I don't want my bullets subjected to more than a .003" interference fit when I seat them. Depending on the particular brass and dies being used, a non-expanded neck may provide a lot more interference than that.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My case prep for bottleneck rifle cases includes sizing and checking for proper length (trimming if necessary) whether the case is new or has been fired several times.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Because case necks of fired brass are larger than the bullet they're going to hold.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I'm not averse to adverse comments.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Depends on the brass, Lapua, RWS, or Norma is well packed and the necks are normally straight. Remington, Federal, Winchester in the bulk pack are normally dented up some. These get run to straighten up the necks, not really sizing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (BallisticBRYAN, Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 5 invisible), 1,382 guests, and 695 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.