Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Damn-I sure hope it wasn't!!! Lol, was happy to find it after I set it down to strip off some clothing!
A friend suggested using car sealer of some sort-very durable according to him- anybody have any ideas about this?

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nothing like a nice camo rifle against a blaze orange coat or vest! LOL!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Yeah, kind of defeats the purpose I think but thems the rules...
Know a moose guide up here and he brings the moose in to several yards in the thick stuff-he's seen blown hunts because of everything you can imagine and insists on certain criteria, e.g oiled sling swivels, no stainless steel showing on rifles, fleece or wool-no "goretex" type clothing as it makes a lot of noise when freezing and below, and the list goes on.
Because he can't get around the orange vest he sets you up in a thick brush screen where the only thing you need to do when the moose appears is basically pull the trigger-no movement on your part or the hunt is over.
At the end of the day, game has been taken with non camo rifles the world over but if it can give you a real or perceived edge, then hey why not? ( and it sure looks cool too!)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
mp444. Oh I've done enough things with guns that really don't make any sense at all so I'm not critisizing anyone for painting their gun.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by matt_allen
I'm looking to a stock......

??

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Reelman, just shooting the breeze exchanging info-don't sweat it, it's all good ! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cerrokote is unequaled.

Polane T & Duracoat if you can't/don't want Cerrokote.

MM

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
How do they compare to Ceracote- I believe it's baked on..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cerrokote won't touch Polane T for durability.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
butchlambert1, Have you ever used it, is it easy to work with..

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have both. Polane is very expensive and you better have good breathing protection as well as having your body and hair covered.
Mountain Man probably doesn't know about Polane.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
hopin' you meant Montana man. smile

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Polane T is Duracoat.... Duracoat is Polane T.....

Cerakote is far more durable and is best for a hunting or carry gun....

Duracoat/Polane T make a gun real pretty to look at and is better than Krylon and other spray paints in a can... but not nearly as resistant to abrasion as Cerakote....

my 338 Edge is Cerakoted with the H-Series oven cure and lasted all through a really wet lotta mileage on an atv hunting season here in Alaska, it survived many miles of rough terrain in a gunboot and over the shoulder ripping on trails and through thick stuff,do not need to repaint and will probably last me a bunch more years !! my buddies Duracoat started rubbing off just sitting in the gunboot running down the trail on the first day and after the hunting season it was a total mess and needs to be sand blasted and repainted, I will be painting his rifle with Cerakote, he wont use Duracoat again...... I am notoriously rough with my hunting guns and they are but tools for me, will not use Duracoat even on my scopes and stocks, prefer the Cerakote C series air cure stuff for the no bake items

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Last two rifles I did had krylon fusion for the colors with the cerakote air cure clear matte as the top coat. So far it has been extremely durable, basicly I get the easy and cheap color availability of krylon with the abrasion resistance and durability of cerakote.

I have used polane t/duracoat before and they do not compare to cerakote on abrasion resistance or chemical resistance. I do notice the duracoat is a bit "softer" and less inclined to chip than cerakote.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
What kind of chemicals are you using that is causing issues with Polane T, I have never had any type of bore or copper cleaner that has show any signs of damage, I have rifles with both Cerakote and Polane T and don't see a clear winner!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (19rabbit52, 007FJ, 222Sako, 308xray, 29aholic, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,736 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,011
Posts18,520,664
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.