GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
Originally Posted by LBP
I've been using my 223's for several seasons now on deer with several different bullets.

I've used TSX's, Sciroccos, Partitions, Power Points, Sierra Gamekings (55 & 65) and the Sierra 63 gr SMP.

I've noticed on broadside shots that the Sierras, Partition and Power Points kill much quicker with more internal damage.

What do you guys think are the TSX's and Sciroccos to tough for broadside shots?

Why do you tempt fate with your consecutive list of kills by continuing to "experiement?"

Pick ONE BULLET and stick with it!

I've only killed three deer with the .223, and two deer with the .220 Swift,

but if it was me,
I'd pick the 70 grain Speer,
or the 64grn Winchester,
or the 60grn Partition

and limit my shots to 200 yards and under,

picking the one bullet I had had the best success with,
and can still buy readily for handloading.

Call it good and GO HUNT!

I like the one bullet concept but its not possible for the main part as I have rifles in several different twist rates. The best bullet in a 1-7 is not the best bullet in a 1-14.

I just started the thread to see if others had noticed the same phenomenon I have that CNC bullets seem to kill quicker on broadside shots.

This year was my first year hunting deer with a 223. I used the 70 grain Speer on all three deer this year and I may change to another load next time I take that rifle out for deer. All three shots where behind the shoulder and through the lungs. Expansion with the 70 Speer seemed to be mild and 2 of the 3 blood trails were minimal and hard to follow.

My 223 with the 70 Speer met its match last week when I jumped a large pig. I shot the pig at about 40 yards and she soaked it up pretty well. No bloodtrail except for the impact site. She ended up going unrecovered. I rushed the shot on this pig and hit it in the shoulder I think, when I should have gone with a head shot on a hog that size.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Have I told anyone I have shot a piggie with a 223???

I hated the way it dropped in it's tracks, never would I do that again! wink

Be careful, you might become a stunt shooter... wink

[Linked Image]

I want it.... Don't need it, but I want it...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=330802247

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ingwe
You're just afraid of the recoil, admit it.

Maybe... grin

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Shoulders work fine, assuming you are using a good bullet and can actually shoot.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm not typically a shoulder shooter, Steelhead. A monometal bullet may have made the difference in this instance.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've been killing deer for 25 years with 22 cals and they flat work. No amount of "I hit em behind the shoulders and they ran off" could convince me otherwise. As for bullets I've used them all, damn near. I even once shot a 200 lb hog with a 50 gr sxsp (222 Rem) while calling cats in south tx. Range was about 200 yds. The bullet made it to the offside, intact.

The last few years or so I've been shooting the 70 gr Speer. Killed around 15 out of my R-15 with all pass throughs, ranging from 30-225 yds. Strangely enough, I shot a turkey and recovered the bullet, a perfect mushroom. Range was about 220 yds.

My fav to date is the 70 Speer followed by the 62 TSX and 64 PP.

Joseph
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Good looking rifle Winnie1300,I have the Carbine and love it!
Shoots the Federal 60 Grain Partition great.
Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The 70 grain Speer is our favourite deer bullet in .223. Incidentally, it will stabilize in a 1 in 12 twist.

Here's my 'stunt shooter' son with some 70 grain Speer victims...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hi,nice pics of game.
Have you tried the Nosler 60 grain partition ?
If so how would you compare the on game performance to the 70 grain Speer?

Thanks
Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ingwesan,

I believe that there is a very informative, .223AI tread,in the hunting rifles forum ! almost as good as the original "BTE" - Military Sniper rifles !

Hope you & yours are all well.

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bcraig
Hi,nice pics of game.
Have you tried the Nosler 60 grain partition ?
If so how would you compare the on game performance to the 70 grain Speer?

Thanks
Craig

No I haven't tried the 60 grain Partition so can't comment. Might have to pick up a packet and give them a go.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
New to the forums but want to get active. I have been following threads on .22 centerfires for deer for some time. I have never used anything smaller than a .260 to kill deer but have been tempted to use my 1:9 twist Remington VTR sometime. I have the ability to pass on shots that are not good. I even do that with larger calibers. I like shooting from one hill to another at calm feeding deer. I use a table, chair and rest for most of my hunting.
I am thinking the 60 grain Partition would be a good choice
providing I can get it to shoot well.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
like someone said pick something other than a varmint bullet and go hunt. I don't like behind the shoulders as I don't like to drag the animal any further than where I shoot it, not much meat in deer shoulders anyway.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't like the partitions myself but if you have them and they shoot why not. Try the 75 grain Swift or the 64 grain Powerpoint, or the 65 grain Sierra gameking, or the 62 grain TSX.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Tiny bullets like the 223 shoots are not as humane as larger bullets nor even legal in many places for that reason.

"Use Enough Gun"

Times have changed. Bullets have too. The .22's are ethical for deer today.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
jimmyp, looks like you like about any bullet except the partition. Any reason for this? I have not bought bullets for this application so I can get whatever I decide on. So far it has been between the 60 grain Partition and the 53 grain TSX. That is what I see recommended on other forums the most.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Tiny bullets like the 223 shoots are not as humane as larger bullets nor even legal in many places for that reason.

"Use Enough Gun"

Times have changed. Bullets have too. The .22's are ethical for deer today.
that depends on the bullet used. I have found several ruined deer (with my GSP) within 300 yards of a deer feeder that didn't have an exit hole and evidently left little blood to follow.

A minimal blood trail in thick brush or weeds coupled with inexperienced (of which most are) hunters who are poor shots usually results in a lost deer.

A deer that has been gut shot with a small caliber is often lost, while one hit with a larger cal. High expansion bullet that exits usually pretty easy to find. This is not my opinion, but is my experience.

Last edited by eyeball; 03/01/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
eyeball
I am of the belief that the statement of a bad shot with a small gun is the same as one with a big gun does not hold water. The destruction to vitals with a ballistic tip bullet from a large gun is unbelievable and even a shot to the liver has gave me a DRT deer with a cavity full of soup. Things do go wrong at times. We mis calculate wind, the deer moves etc. That has been my reason to not use a .22 centerfire for deer but I know they work for many and do not disagree with it for experienced hunters. I have found myself even wanting to try it just so I have first hand experience.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The 223 is great for training your dog to trail wounded deer, IF you use a good bullet. If you use a cheap bullet you and the dog may never find it. It is great in the hands of a good hunter/ shot with a good bullet.The problem is that too many city slickers going on their rare hunt and having minimal skill and confidence end up getting a shot while using the cheapest bullet that comes apart before adequate penetration and then never find or even hunt for the deer that runs off to die days or weeks later.

If you shoot at a running deer at out to 200 or so yards and hit it in the guts with a soft point 130-180 gr. high velocity bullet it probably won't go over 200 yards before it lays down. One can see by the sign it is gut shot and come back a few hours later and trail it up and end the deal if the deer is still alive.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (22250rem, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 71 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,476 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,609
Posts18,492,450
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.