Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have ZERO experience with this stuff. But it looks like it might be the berries for my up & coming Merriam's hunt. Looks very packable. How durable is it ?? How rain-proof is it ??

Opinions ?? Experiences ??

Thanks in advance !!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought a set here on the campfire for my son's Christmas present last year. When they showed up, they were the cheapest looking stuff I had ever seen.

I talked to a guy that hunts Alaska alot, and he says he has a set in his backpack, 4 wheeler and cabin. He said it was the greatest, lightest raingear he had ever used. I guess it must really work. My son used it turkey hunting and thought it was great too.

It looks like a roll of camo-paper towels, but they must be tough than they look. 2 good reviews from 2 different sources...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oh, it is rain and windproof, for sure. Basspros usually keep that stuff stowed in their boats. Works in the rain in an open boat doing 65mph. That's waterproof. A lot of AT hikers like them, the pants get shredded pretty quick but the parka will last for a while. Think of them as a cheap, disposable version of Marmot Precip, which, IMO is THE most bang for the buck in rainwear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are waterproof but not very durable. If you expect rain everyday of a hunt I would pack something else. If you expect occasional rain or one day of rain they work well and are light. I keep several sets on hand, at the house, in the boat etc..

They won't last long at all up against brush and briars however.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NathanL
They are waterproof but not very durable. If you expect rain everyday of a hunt I would pack something else. If you expect occasional rain or one day of rain they work well and are light. I keep several sets on hand, at the house, in the boat etc..

They won't last long at all up against brush and briars however.

My experience as well.

IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Out of curiosity how would would they compare to Helly Hansen Impertech?

Warren

Pardon my fat fingered I-phone typing
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Different product for different uses.

Helly hansen is bomb proof, no leaks, you are dry as a bone. Plus an awesome warranty. But it doesn't breath well, so if you are moving your body sweat gets you damp/chilled.

I've never used FroggTogg personally, but have read and heard the same thing. They work, but get shredded easy in alders/thickets/oompa-loompas.

Hope that helps

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yoder409
I have ZERO experience with this stuff. But it looks like it might be the berries for my up & coming Merriam's hunt. Looks very packable. How durable is it ?? How rain-proof is it ??

Thanks in advance !!
They are lightweight and work pretty well at turning water. They breathe pretty well and that's the advantage is so much as you can stay reasonably dry & comfortable without getting soaked with sweat. The issue I've had in the field is that they are tough to get dry once soaked if you're living in a tent. They are a lot more durable than they look and reports of them shredding easy are without merit. They can be torn, but I've seen me abuse in them alders and brush without any real damage. When they could be had for $20 a set they were a bargain.......

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I recently bought one of these for $50 locally.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/store/out...dztm-hellbendertm-wading-fly-jacket.html

This version has a nylon shell that seems much more durable than the cheaper versions. I've been wearing it for a couple of weeks and like it a lot. It is not nearly as packable as many others though. I like it for general wear, but will stick to others for backpacking. Not bad quality for the money though.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used them a handful of times in the field and many times on my motorcycle as rain gear.
Super lightweight and they work as advertised to keep you dry. I haven't moved around alot while wearing them to give a report on breathability. I don't feel clammy when wearing them which is a good sign.
My experience is that as long as you don't stress the seams or the fabric really tight they work well. If you stress the fabric you will rip the seams or the fabric. Can be repaired with duct tape, but simply best to buy them oversized and use a little care not to put too much stress on them.
I see the Sportsmans guide has the motorcycle version available today for $25 top and bottom.
I noticed at a local store that the newer camo hunting version had a heavier feel to the fabric. Plus they were $70 for set.
I usually just carry the bottoms and have a different shell up top.
Good stuff if you don't put it where it doesn't want to go.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Thanks in advance !!
They are lightweight and work pretty well at turning water. They breathe pretty well and that's the advantage is so much as you can stay reasonably dry & comfortable without getting soaked with sweat. The issue I've had in the field is that they are tough to get dry once soaked if you're living in a tent. They are a lot more durable than they look and reports of them shredding easy are without merit. They can be torn, but I've seen me abuse in them alders and brush without any real damage. When they could be had for $20 a set they were a bargain.......

Guess it depends on where you use them. In no way could you use them for a hunt here as any thorn or brush will really get to them in a hurry.

They really don't shred, but after a thorn or even a sharp twig grabs them it's like the material starts to puff and come apart. Kind of like down coming out of a sleeping bag and it's no longer waterproof there. It doesn't even have to really poke a hole in the material, just scratch across it.

I use them a lot on the boat where I'm not likely to catch on something while fishing. They will not turn a thorn at all however, if you hunt where there are no thorns or sharp twigs then go for it.

Otto is my co-pilot.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a pants/top suit that I packed in my fishing gear. Got caught in an incredible downpour but I just knew my 'toggs would keep me dry. I truly believe, after it was overwith, I would have been drier had I jumped in the river. They are now my mechanic/dirty job wear.

Golden............
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I use em for fishing.
I'll stick with my bone dry for hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really good performance when new, but wear fast. Cannot take any exposure to brush. Use in a boat is probably the best.
I would consider them only for trips where I thought I would not likely need them, or not need them much.
Bought a set of Columbia SuperCell bibs & jacket last spring. They are nearly as light as the F Toggs. The Supercells are proving to be waterproof and truly durable.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Agree. I use mine for boat fishing, shoveling snow, and wore them to a football game once. Just fine for all those.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd not use them if given as a gift.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've always used mine for riding the motorcycle. They work well but you have to strap your wrists tight or you will get soaked from water coming in through the sleeves. I'll have to look into the hunting version.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've had two sets. Found them very fragile - unable to handle brush at all.

Great for sitting on a golf cart though.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I bought the new wader length fishing coat last spring. The pockets are handy for basic field work use. They are cheap. They are stiff even after a couple months of breaking in. They do not pack down really small like a pac-lite material will. The surface gets fuzzy after a summer of use. In an all day rain they will get heavier as the day progresses. They will absorb caribou blood and smell all winter. I'll be walking bear bait next summer.

At $45 locally I would buy one of these fishing specific coats again for general in town work type uses, but for back country I would prefer another material that did not gain weight as it gets wetter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
suprisingly okay...

By that I mean, I pack it in my bag if rain is in the forcast. Sounds and feels like news paper, is waterproof for the most part, but make sure there big enough...rip a hole in the seam of your ass and tell me how waterproof they are however..grins

Last edited by MK257; 02/26/13.

MK
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,289
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.