Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Anybody have experience with any of these three brands of tires? I have only bought Michelin tires for the last 25 years. But in these trying economic times I am considering a cheaper tire. To put another set of Michelins on my truck will cost me a grand. For about half that much I can get an acceptable tire from one of these other three brands.

K1500 Chevy Extra Cab 4x4. I typically run an all terrain type tire. Appreciate any insight y'all can give me.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Cooper Zeon. I have them on my Suburban and they are great. Also got great reviews everywhere I looked.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

I've bought 2 sets of tires recently. A set of General Grabber AT2's for my '96 Cherokee and a set of Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61's for the wife's '96 Blazer(our main vehicle). As far as the Grabbers go they do just what I was looking for in a tire to be used on a hunting rig but I can't recommend them if most of your driving is on 50+ mph roads. Loud and rough. The Kumho's I'm really impressed with. Very good on the unimproved shale roads we travel on and great at highway speeds up to 70+ mph at least. Quiet with a comfortable ride. So far they've handled all the weather/road conditions we've had this winter. We've had no snows over 6" though.

Last edited by EZEARL; 02/27/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My 2003 Z71 has had 3 sets of Cooper Discoverers (AT, then 2 sets of ATR). 60,000 miles each set, admittedly I run them past when they should by a few miles. Trading truck off (220,000 miles) tomorrow and kind of makes me sad.....

Only other comparison I can make is our F-250 came with BFG Rugged Terrains. We haven't put 20,000 miles on them yet and no clue how many miles were on them when we bought it. So far so good.

Many of the millwright contractors I hire are running Kumho's of one kind or another, but when asked about them they didn't give a thumbs up or down on them yet.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cheesy
My 2003 Z71 has had 3 sets of Cooper Discoverers (AT, then 2 sets of ATR). 60,000 miles each set, admittedly I run them past when they should by a few miles. Trading truck off (220,000 miles) tomorrow and kind of makes me sad.....

What are you trading into?

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm afraid you may be disappointed going from Michelins to the brands in question. I have had experience with michelins, coopers, and Hankooks. The michelins balance better, roll smoother, and wear better than the other two. The cooper ASTs I had started to 'feather' after just a couple thousand miles. The Hankooks wore evenly, but prematurely. If you are going to keep the truck long enough to wear out a set of michelins, I would go that route.

Ready, Fire, Aim
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TC1

Used Camry for the wife a daily driver rather than driving the diesel crew cab around to get groceries. I guess the good thing is, if she has a car and I no longer have my truck, I won't get in trouble for taking 'her' truck once in a while. smile

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Mich's are top shelf for sure..

I have had good luck with Cooper's in the past, can't vouch for the others.

I used to run General Grabber A/T's when I lived in the southwest and really liked them for my dirt trucks. They lasted a long time on my Toyota 4x4 and wore well...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shortleade
Anybody have experience with any of these three brands of tires? I have only bought Michelin tires for the last 25 years. But in these trying economic times I am considering a cheaper tire. To put another set of Michelins on my truck will cost me a grand. For about half that much I can get an acceptable tire from one of these other three brands.

K1500 Chevy Extra Cab 4x4. I typically run an all terrain type tire. Appreciate any insight y'all can give me.

I've had Michelin, Bridgestone and Hankooks on my Cummins. Hankooks have been far and away the best of the three for me, irrespective of price. Very smooth, very quiet and very good in inclement conditions. I ran the first set of Hankooks just short of 50k miles, and while they still had an easy 10k or more remaining, I was about to tow about 7k lb worth of truck and trailer to Colorado over the New Year and thought a new set would be a good idea in the wintertime. I have the DynaPro ATM's. I have not used Coopers so cannot offer an opinion on them.

Last edited by badger; 02/26/13.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TC1

Used Camry for the wife a daily driver rather than driving the diesel crew cab around to get groceries. I guess the good thing is, if she has a car and I no longer have my truck, I won't get in trouble for taking 'her' truck once in a while. smile

I'd be a little sad myself. I stay in trouble with my wife. whistle

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Running Hankook on CJ5 (Dynapro MT)and fall/winter on my daily driver a 4Runner--Dynapro ATM.

Been excellent. We have used them for snow tires for a number of years with good results on the kid's cars.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another tire to consider is Firestone Destination ATs. They get rave reviews and are modestly priced. I can't comment from experience on the ATs but the tires I'm currently running on my chevy P/U are Destinatin LEs.

I've only got about 6k on them but so far so good. They're very round, they balanced with minimal weights and considering the price I'm a happy camper. This is the fourth set of tires I've had on my truck (Goodyear, BFG, and Firestone previously) and they're as good or better than anything I've ran so far.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by badger

I've had Michelin, Bridgestone and Hankooks on my Cummins. Hankooks have been far and away the best of the three for me, irrespective of price.

I've had a lot of different A/Ts on my vehicles. The Hankook ATM RF10 is the best I've ever ran.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've ran a bunch of Coopers and Mastercraft tires over the years with no issues.

220 Swift still king.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have no experience with the Khumo tire. But I have run Michelins, Coopers, and Hankooks.

I'll take the Hankooks every time. Only heartburn with me is the not made in USA. But I can't deny they are the best AT tire I've run. Have them on my 2500 Ram and my CJ-7.

Bill

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A lot of people around here are running the Hankook AT tire.

One other tire you might check is the Firestone Destination AT. I am on my 2nd set on my 1/2 ton Suburban. They don't hydroplane on wet roads. They are excellent on icy snow-packed roads. Semi deep drifted snow has been their only achilles heal. So for the winter I put on Firestone Destination MTs. They go through the drifted snow like butter. If I lived in town with plowed roads I would just stick with the ATs. They are better for travel and give better milage.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I can vouch for the Cooper A/T3 on a 4wd truck. They have been quiet on the highway and good in both mud and snow this winter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have ran the Hankook MT with good success on my Tacoma. I ran the Firestone Transforce on a couple of Z71 full size, the older version lasted better than the new ones. I got a set of Cooper AT3 on a Tacoma but can't say much about them as the daughter drives it. I did see her run over a hay hook which stuck in the tire without ruining it. Our mailman, who runs on rock roads all day long in all conditions swears by the Hankook Dynapro AT. Cheezy can attest how hard our rock roads are on tires....

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Running Hankook ATM's on a Tacoma and liking em. Nice and quiet on the highway, aggressive tread and the price was too good to pass up. Have ran Coopers in the past with good results. Don't care for Michelins, even what they call an all terrain looks like a highway tire.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The Hancook might be OK for the light trucks ,but I have a set on my 98 cummins ( 8,000+ lbs empty) and I am not getting anywhere near the mileage others are claiming.I doubt I will get 30K out of these, I will be really surpised,.They are more than 3/4 worn rght now with less than 20 K. These were the AT.
I'll be going back to Goodyear next fall, although more expensive. I liked the Michelins when I had sedans.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,834
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.