Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Hello, higher fuel costs.

_______

John Kerry speech ominous for Keystone XL pipeline

First policy address urges action on climate change

The Associated Press

In yet another potentially ominous sign for TransCanada's Keystone XL pipeline, John Kerry used his first major address as secretary of state on Wednesday to make an urgent call for comprehensive action on climate change.

"We as a nation must have the foresight and courage to make the investments necessary to safeguard the most sacred trust we keep for our children and grandchildren: an environment not ravaged by rising seas, deadly superstorms, devastating droughts and the other hallmarks of a dramatically changing climate," Kerry said in a wide-ranging speech at the University of Virginia.

"If we waste this opportunity, it may be the only thing our generation � generations � are remembered for. We need to find the courage to leave a far different legacy."

While Kerry made no mention of Keystone XL specifically, his State Department will soon decide the $7-billion pipeline's ultimate fate because it crosses an international border.

Keystone XL, which would carry bitumen to the U.S. Gulf Coast from Alberta's carbon-intensive oilsands, is considered a symbol of "dirty oil" by American environmentalists. They're stepping up their efforts to urge President Barack Obama to make good on his recent rhetoric on climate change by rejecting the pipeline.

There have been signals that the pleas of environmentalists are not falling upon deaf ears at the White House.

'We need to find the courage to leave a far different legacy.'� John Kerry, U.S. secretary of state

David Jacobson, the U.S. ambassador to Canada, told The Canadian Press last week that Obama's vow to take aggressive action on climate change during his recent State of the Union address was meant in part as a challenge to Canada.

John Baird, Canada's foreign affairs minister, responded a few days later that the U.S. could stand to follow Canada's lead on several climate change fronts, in particular on coal.

"We're the only country in the world that's committed to getting out of the dirty coal electricity generation business," Baird said. "These are real meaningful steps that will either meet or even exceed the work that's been done thus far in the United States."

Kerry's remarks on Wednesday came less than two weeks after his meeting at the State Department with Baird. He was non-committal about Keystone in his joint news conference with Baird, and was rumoured to have been tepid about the pipeline during their private meeting.

The former Massachusetts senator, a fierce climate hawk during his 28 years in Congress, said he hoped to use his role as America's No. 1 diplomat to promote green energy technologies given they could propel U.S. industries into the "next great revolution in our marketplace."

"We need to commit ourselves to doing the smart thing and the right thing and to truly take on this challenge, because if we don't rise to meet it, then rising temperatures and rising sea levels will surely lead to rising costs down the road," he said.

Strings attached to pipeline approval?

There has been increasing speculation in the U.S. capital that the Obama administration might want to exact something in exchange for Keystone approval, such as a rumoured greenhouse gas emissions levy that would be imposed at the border and could raise much-needed revenue for the United States.

Obama rejected TransCanada's previous permit application due to concerns about the impact on an ecologically sensitive area in Nebraska. But Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman, previously a Keystone foe, recently gave his blessing to TransCanada's new route around a crucial state aquifer.

The State Department's latest environmental assessment of the new route is expected soon. With that report in hand, Kerry is expected to make the final decision on the pipeline in the spring.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Elections have consequences.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
This is really not that big of a deal. See below links. There are several other projects just like this in the queue..

http://www.ogj.com/articles/2013/02...convert-trunkline-segment-to-crude-.html

http://www.enbridge.com/MediaCentre/InteractiveMap.aspx

http://www.energytransfer.com/ops_map.aspx

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There it is again, [bleep] the kids.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
can u say carbon tax..........

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Parents first, then the kids later!!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Power yawn. Give me a call when we devise a method for controlling the sun.

1Minute
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't ya wish, that you could hit every person who voted for Obama in the face with a sledge hammer? HARD......

Give them an opportunity to use their new ObamaCare?

Every person in his administration, thinks they are some sort of social elitist....

and think all of us are as wealthy as Kerry is...

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
the canadians want to deal with us.

but they will sell to the chinese also if it comes to that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
Don't ya wish, that you could hit every person who voted for Obama in the face with a sledge hammer? HARD......

Every person in his administration, thinks they are some sort of social elitist....

and think all of us are as wealthy as Kerry is...

I grew up in [bleep] like that, crossed the ocean and here it is again. Greenies are like melons - green on the outside, red on the inside.

Bastards.

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Seafire

laugh Post of the day material right there.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
All the inviros need to do is send a big ck to 0 and he will shut down the pipeline just like he already has. Follow the money. The pipe line guys are being extorted for big bucks.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yeah, if they really gave a [bleep] about climate change they would not want the oil going to China where there are no pollution controls.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
Elections have consequences.

Yep

we are porked for at least 4 more years

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
There it is again, [bleep] the kids.

They never mention kids whose parents work in on a pipeline job, a refinery or anything related to it....

Otto is my co-pilot.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
WTF does the position of Secretary of State have to do with environmental issues? Dumbazz got the wrong 8-track sound bite stuck up his azz at the morning meeting! Gawd almighty!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The elections are rigged. How about it is time the fix that problem.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by renegade50

No, the corporations and their traitor stooge lackeys in Canada's current government want to continue the present NAFTA sale of raw Canadian resources to the US at less than world market prices. SOME of these creatures and the deluded, illiterate and often foreign-born "workers" in "the Tar Sands" also want this, even though "Keystone" will send Canadian jobs to Texas.....

REAL Canadians, me for example, hardline nationalist-nativist and GREEN, want to refine what WE NEED of OUR oil HERE and NOT sell it to any foreign entity. The economic advantage of this will assist Canadian international trade by making it cheaper to manufacture goods here, rather than in the US, Mexico, China or wherever.

The old days, post-WWII, are OVER, most Canadians, now, are NOT in favour of devastating our pristine wilderness to sell cheap oil to ANYONE and, many of us have not forgotten "softwood" and WILL alter Canada's policy much quicker than may seem obvious at present.

At least half of the well-educated, world-traveled and middleaged Canadians I know here in Vancouver, want to see Canada's petro-resource nationalized and kept for our own use over the long term...and, I think that this will happen within my remaining lifetime.

Oh, yeah, I have always bought and driven 4 cylinder vehicles and my current Toyota is 20 years old next month. I will be buying another basic Toy 4-banger 4x4, so, I live what I believe in and preach, no V-10 "macho" 4x4s for me.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
seriously, it doesn't much matter where the final product is outputted, the US or Canada.

it will be offered for sale on world markets. who buys it will be the highest bidder. those folks who build the pipeline and refineries will benefit for a spell.

but, where will the distillate be burned? why in the country of the highest bidder of course. that's why electric cars, while not really catching on, are being looked at with increasing interest.

i've never understood why the oil isn' processed in Canada?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by kutenay
Originally Posted by renegade50

No, the corporations and their traitor stooge lackeys in Canada's current government want to continue the present NAFTA sale of raw Canadian resources to the US at less than world market prices. SOME of these creatures and the deluded, illiterate and often foreign-born "workers" in "the Tar Sands" also want this, even though "Keystone" will send Canadian jobs to Texas.....

REAL Canadians, me for example, hardline nationalist-nativist and GREEN, want to refine what WE NEED of OUR oil HERE and NOT sell it to any foreign entity. The economic advantage of this will assist Canadian international trade by making it cheaper to manufacture goods here, rather than in the US, Mexico, China or wherever.

The old days, post-WWII, are OVER, most Canadians, now, are NOT in favour of devastating our pristine wilderness to sell cheap oil to ANYONE and, many of us have not forgotten "softwood" and WILL alter Canada's policy much quicker than may seem obvious at present.

At least half of the well-educated, world-traveled and middleaged Canadians I know here in Vancouver, want to see Canada's petro-resource nationalized and kept for our own use over the long term...and, I think that this will happen within my remaining lifetime.

Oh, yeah, I have always bought and driven 4 cylinder vehicles and my current Toyota is 20 years old next month. I will be buying another basic Toy 4-banger 4x4, so, I live what I believe in and preach, no V-10 "macho" 4x4s for me.

we love you canada (really just your oil sands)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
please keep selling us your cheap oil grin grin grin
im from maine
you all from canada devestated the american soft wood industry with your clear cutting practices...........................................................
not to mention the cross border midnight clear cutting of timber stands in maine from new brunswick and quebec loggers................................
fuggin international theives once they exhausted their woodlots......................

so consider it payback from us bad
greedy nongreen resource consuming pigs to the south of your country

you really should be driving one of those bad boy electric buggies
its much better for the enviorment than your little wind up toy toyota
and make sure the electricty you use to charge it up comes from solar
or wind
any other type of electric source and how it is generated is a mother nature no-no
nowadays

laugh laugh laugh

Last edited by renegade50; 02/27/13.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,534
Posts18,472,748
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.