Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
WITUfan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I hope to get my little boy shooting this summer. He has a BB gun, but it is too long for him, so we have had less than satisfactory results. I will probably buy him another one and trim the stock back. However, this post is about a .22. Here are my options and my current thought process.

1) Buy one of the little Savage youth models. Pros: They seem like solid little rifles, easy to use safety, etc. Con: Someday he will outgrow it and I hate the idea of buying him something that is just going to end up sitting in the back of the safe someday.

2) A couple of years ago, I got a great deal on an older Ruger 77/22. I put it up with the plan that I would give it to him at some point. It is excellent mechanically, and shoots nice, but has been carried a good bit and the stock has quite a few dings. I could cut this stock so he can use it now and get a new stock from Midway for when he gets bigger. Pros: He could use the same rifle forever (hopefully this is one he gets attached to). Cons: I've never cut a stock, so I could mess this up!

The cost is about even on this one.

What do you think?

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Personally,I would get a new CZ 452 Scout while they are still available.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WITUfan,

You don't say how old he is? Fit is very important, but I am not keen on the 77/22 idea if he is 10 or under (kind of depends on the Kid though) as weight is a big factor if you want Him to be able to shoot offhand.

Don't worry about outgrowing a youth sized gun as there is a market for used ones or it can be a loaner for friends with small kids, etc.. Look at it as an investment in His shooting enjoyment and skill. My boy is 12 now and due to his Dad being 'into' guns and finding guns that fit him at different intervals we have been through a Crickett (4 to 7), a Savage Cub (8 to 10) and a CZ Scout and 'Compact' Ruger 10-22 (11 up). He's to the point that he can usually hit an egg at 50 yards one out of about every seven shots or thereabouts offhand (without a bit of practice I can not do much better).

Jerry

[Linked Image]

Si vis pacem, para bellum
W
WITUfan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
My son is about to be seven. I was so hung up thinking about length of pull that I clearly haven't given enough thought to the overall weight of the rifle. Thanks Jerrywoodswalker.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Don't forget Thomson Center Contenders.
A myriad of barrels and stock selections...only downfall is single shot, but that might be good for a youngster.
I'm having a .22 barrel being done for my sons T/C
When done he'll have a .22lr
A .357 maximum for Indiana deer and a 6x45 for Kentucky deer and coyotes too.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got my son a Henry Lever Action Youth model. With the exposed hammer, I can see its status easily in the field. I told him not to chamber a round or eject the empty one after he fired until he was ready to shoot again. If he did have a live round chambered, I would just have him shoot a stump or something and leave the empy case in the chamber. It has a short barrel, easing offhand shooting and is easy to operate. He has now graduated to bigger rifles, but this one will go to his kids later in life.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+2 on the CZ Scout.

The rifle comes with a single-shot "adapter" which can later be changed out to a 5 or 10 round magazine.

And, a 1" pad can be added to increase LOP as he grows.

I'm 60 and bought one of these for the "little boy" in ME!

It's one quick handling little gun, and my favorite "porch" gun.

Virgil B.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Can you really outgrow a short, light little rifle?

The hardest part is finding a big buck. The easiest part is getting "em" out. - Larry Benoit
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Personally,I would get a new CZ 452 Scout while they are still available.

Excellent choice! Mine as well.

Actually if i was outfitting a youngster with a .22LR boltgun that could last a lifetime, I'd get the kid a CZ 452 American w/ a 16.1" bbl, along with an extra "CZ Scout" youth stock and a single-shot magazene adapter (or two) that block a 452/453 magazenes rendering them singleshooters when the adapter is installed, but it immediately can be removed making the rifle a repeater again.

Also by installing the CZ Scout stock, its youth-size but without any permanent modifications, the barreled action can be used in the Scout stock when the youngun's small, but later can be put back into the adult walnut 452/453 stock with the kid has grown into it!

Probably more complicated (and expensive) than you wanted? cool

R
R
+ 1 more for the CZ Scout if it fits your boy. If not I believe their are other youth models that weigh a little less, such as the cricket, Rossi, or T/C Hot Shot. Looked at them all and went for the Scout because of the reasons mentioned above and couldn't be happier.

IC B3

W
WITUfan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I hadn't thought about the CZ. I do love my 452, so I am not sure why that one hadn't occurred to me. Thanks for all the advice. I definitely think I should just buy a youth model rather than shorten the Ruger. Now, I just have to figure out which one!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
My vote is for the Cricket. Great light rifle with safity in mind. You can buy for about $100.00 new. When done with it sell it off. Upgrade again. My Grandaughter loves the cricket with scope. She is ready for semi-auto now. I ruined her letting her shoot my Mark 2 target with Eotec.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another vote for the CZ 452 scout. Excellent quality. Perfect starter and beyond size.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
+1,000 on the CZ 452 scout. my 8 yo lil boy is scary accurate with his. when santa brought his CZ home it started an addiction as i've acquired 4 more CZ 452 american's in various calibers since then.
whitearrow

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I went a little different route....I bought my boys a Savage Cub.
Great rifle, single shot, very accurate.
My boys hate it.....however -
They both want to shoot the 15-22 my wife bought for our anniversary.
Light weight, fully adjustable stock, accurate very easy for them to hold.
Very high 'cool' factor.

The only problem is getting it away from mom

Burt2506

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Most of my friends who trained their kids on autoloaders regretted it. They said the kids just blasted away. I trained my two on a Daisy bolt action with an adjustable stock. After replacing the trigger spring with one from a ballpoint pen, they both were able to shoot tight groups easily.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by burt2506
I went a little different route....I bought my boys a Savage Cub.
Great rifle, single shot, very accurate.
My boys hate it.....however -
They both want to shoot the 15-22 my wife bought for our anniversary.
Light weight, fully adjustable stock, accurate very easy for them to hold.
Very high 'cool' factor.

The only problem is getting it away from mom

Burt2506

It's called the Rascal now but I agree completely.

Savage all the way.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Most of my friends who trained their kids on autoloaders regretted it. They said the kids just blasted away. I trained my two on a Daisy bolt action with an adjustable stock. After replacing the trigger spring with one from a ballpoint pen, they both were able to shoot tight groups easily.

That has more to do with coaching than the weapon.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WITUfan
I hate the idea of buying him something that is just going to end up sitting in the back of the safe someday.

That won't happen.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The TC Hot Shot is another I'd recommend highly. Set up exactly as the Encore/Contender and weighs only 3#. Comes with ghost ring sights and also drilled and tapped. Includes stock spacers as well for growing pains.
My son's is surprisingly accurate. With a cheap Tasco red dot it got my attention.

WarDamnEagle
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

219 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 160user, 345dl, 338rcm, 29 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,979
Posts18,499,584
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.