Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dad was in Ft. Dix, New Jersey and about to ship to Vietnam. Some Colonel walks into the room and according to Dad, asks: "Any of you sons of b*tches type?" Dad replied in the affirmative. Colonel asks how many words and how many mistakes. Dad's answer landed him in a supply unit stateside for his entire enlistment.
I had the opposite luck answering superiors' questions. While in the Ft Leonard Wood receiving center, a bunch of us were sitting around one Sunday with nothing to do when a Sgt in a funny hat walked in. He asked if any of us liked horses. Like idiots, 3 of us said yeah. We spent the next 3 days mucking out the post riding academy.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was searching thru the building one evening after regular work hours to find a typist for an FAA document that I needed to release a plane. When I couldn't find anyone, my boss grabbed the form from me and whipped it right out on our secretary's typewriter.

When I confessed that I didn't know he could type, he "swore me to secrecy", saying;

"IF THEY KNOW YOU CAN TYPE, THEY WON'T LET YOU HAVE A SECRETARY!"

I always had a secretary.

But I manage here on the 'fire with one finger.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My cell phone has demoted me to one finger......

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nope.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Dad was in Ft. Dix, New Jersey and about to ship to Vietnam. Some Colonel walks into the room and according to Dad, asks: "Any of you sons of b*tches type?" Dad replied in the affirmative. Colonel asks how many words and how many mistakes. Dad's answer landed him in a supply unit stateside for his entire enlistment.
I had the opposite luck answering superiors' questions. While in the Ft Leonard Wood receiving center, a bunch of us were sitting around one Sunday with nothing to do when a Sgt in a funny hat walked in. He asked if any of us liked horses. Like idiots, 3 of us said yeah. We spent the next 3 days mucking out the post riding academy.

Yeah, that sounds more like my kind of "luck".

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I can text faster with 2 thumbs than I can type. Thing I like about texting is nobody pays any attention to spelling.

I got drafted in June along with a bunch of 25 and 26 year old school teachers. Them old guys all knew how to type and most of them were older than the DI's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Three or four fingers, when I'm cruising. Otherwise two or three.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by calikooknic
All ten in play with me. Well, I don't use the right thumb much now that I think about it.
Same here. Took the typing class in high school. Seem to recall it was required. Don't remember volunteering. I used my dad's old IBM electronic typewriter. Looked about like this.

[Linked Image]

Got competent with typing. Then, just a few years later got my first home computer, a Commodore 64, and the skills from that typing class served me well with that, and just kept getting better. I use a 100% orthodox method of typing, and can type pretty darn fast.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kkahmann
... texting is nobody pays any attention to spelling.

Thts 4 dmn shur!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
All ten here. Took a full year of typing in high school, well..., almost a full year, I broke my arm in a horse wreck barely into the 4th quarter and quit going to typing class. I'm pretty type A personality and competition in the speed typing is what it was all about for me. That was hosed with a broken arm in a cast so my quarter grades were A,A,A,F.

Glockin' Bob
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." -- Thomas Jefferson
"
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by calikooknic
All ten in play with me. Well, I don't use the right thumb much now that I think about it.
Same here. Took the typing class in high school. Seem to recall it was required. Don't remember volunteering. I used my dad's old IBM electronic typewriter. Looked about like this.

[Linked Image]

Got competent with typing. Then, just a few years later got my first home computer, a Commodore 64, and the skills from that typing class served me well with that, and just kept getting better. I use a 100% orthodox method of typing, and can type pretty darn fast.

We started off with old manuals and during the semester we got IBM Selectrics. We were fascinated by the twirling ball, but really missed dropping a handful of key covers into someone's machine before he arrived and watching them fly out when he started to type.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use all fingers and don't look at the keyboard! I just watch the screen.

Last edited by Darrel; 02/27/13.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
A friend and I took typing in the 11th grade just to meet girls. We were the only two guys in a class of about 40 and we sat behind two really hot girls. We spent most of out time flirting with them. I could type about 55 wpm on a mechanical typewriter. I was incredibly fast but spent most of my time clearing jammed keys. My mother could type 110wpm on a mechanical typewriter so I probably could have done much better if I hadn't spent most of my time looking at the the two girls sitting in front of me. I can type with all my fingers but only use my index finers most of the time.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
on a good day I can type 40 to 50 wpm. not fast but ok for an electrician. had to take typing in the 9th grade, required course.

Clos

NRA Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Didn't take typing in High School, but the Navy taught me to type and copy Morse code simultaneously in 6 months of school. (On manual typewriters - no electrics.)
I never did learn to copy Morse without the typewriter, but finally did learn to type without Morse code.

After the Navy, I didn't touch a keyboard for over 30 years until I was forced into using computers. It took a while for the 10 fingers to work right again, but at least I knew the keyboard layout which made hunt and peck a little faster. A bit like riding a bike - the old skills can come back.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
In '68, I took typing on Underwood manuals that I had maintained/repaired the summer before. When we had a substitute teacher (not paying attention) - I could tear down a typewriter, and leave it on the windowsill, in less than 5 minutes.
I wish I had learned to type as fast as I could do the mechanics! I peaked at 38 WPM.

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad

We started off with old manuals and during the semester we got IBM Selectrics. We were fascinated by the twirling ball, but really missed dropping a handful of key covers into someone's machine before he arrived and watching them fly out when he started to type.

We pulled the rubber silencer strips the keys landed on. Drove the teacher nuts.
A couple of the kids would rat out the guilty, so their strips usually disappeared first. All but 4 or 5 out of 20 something regularly pulled the strips, or some other clever sabotage, so the couple who liked to rat had long lists of names to recite. Then had to explain why all the strips were in their coat pocket.
With 90 % in trouble practically every day, sometimes several times a day, not much typing ever got done.

We were the worst class that poor woman ever had. Told us so many times. She had been planning to retire in the next couple years but left at the end of that semester.
Poor ole gal. She was so furious some days it's a wonder she didn't go postal on us. Gun us all down, an AK in each hand.

The class had only a couple electrics, we took turns.
Arguments broke out.
My error count actually went up, too touchy. I could hit 60-70 if ya didn't count errors, 50's otherwise.
For most these weren't typing errors but spelling and punctuation, so IMO didn't count. Which was just another of many arguments to erupt and disrupt class.
And further infuriate the teacher.
The next time you'd argue the other side of the issue. Poor girl didn't know if she was coming or going. While trying to resolve that and settle the class rubber strips disappeared again. Her little wind up timers had legs of their own, too. Everything, anything. Always something, and one thing after another. It never stopped.
Long lists of names to recite.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was about the 7th grade in the late 50's and I lasted about a week in typing class. Just long enough to learn the letters using 8 fingers and 2 thumbs. Still don't know the numbers locations without looking.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cannot imagine typing with less that 10 fingers: it is so much easier and precise, without having to look at the keyboard.

I encourage those who do not to give it a try: I am sure they will find satisfaction in it.

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

394 members (163bc, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,651
Posts18,533,818
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.