Print Thread
Hop To
M
MarkG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ok I realize this question is not really a "back packing" question in terms of weight, but I did not really know where to post the question, and you guys seem the most knowledgeable on the subject.

I am looking into getting a lighter sleeping bag (synthetic) 30, 40, or 50 degree bag. That I can use during the early bow season. I have a Marmot 15 degree down bag now, that I literally sweat in just wearing underware, if temps are above 40 at night.

There are places that I really dont have to treck that far, and I like to just bring a wool blanket, and use that. But if we get some cold spells I could use the light bag and blanket in combination.

My question is how light can I go and get away with this; Say a 40 or even 50 degree bag with a wool blanket. High Twentys? Teens?? This would mainly be used in a Tarp camping situation. Fire optional.

I should add that I know all Wool blankets are not created equal.. mine is a 90/10 blanket, about 4-5 pounds

Last edited by MarkG; 02/26/13.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I use a 40 degree bag and a military poncho liner and it's good down to around 20 for comfort, 10 with some cold toes. Below that, it's not enough The bag is a Lafuma 800. It's a bit smaller than a loaf of bread and can compress to about half that size. I carry it in my three day pack and still have room for gear. Snugpak is along the same lines, but much higher. I bought the Lafuma at REI outlet for $50.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Using these by themselves or both in combination or with another sleeping bag might be what your looking for:

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=33&p_id=2321806

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...tails/mid/1916/ProductID/64/Default.aspx

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
+1, I think that either of these would be much more efficient in terms of weight/warmth than any woolen blanket might be. That said, tho', if you just happen to LIKE a blanket, why not?

M
MarkG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Yeah... I just like wool, and they are light enough for my ATV to carry..lol

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dude, you need a quilt, like that made by Mountain Laurel Design. If you can sew, you can make one yourself from a kit from Ray Jardine. A single 5oz batt of Climashield would do exactly what you require. Quilts are MUCH easier to vent than bags, which is why most people avoid them below 20F, a tad too drafty.

Another option for you might be the Hill People Gear Serape.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Agreed either use your bag like a quilt or use a quilt. I've slept from single digits to 60 in various combos with my 20 degree quilt. When it's really warm, I prefer it much more over a bag. I just unzip the foot box and use it like a blanket and even keep my five fingers on. It solves a lot of issues at one time.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lightweight bag, combined with a lightweight breathable bivy sack may help you out some too, but if you are ATVing to your site then your wool blanket should do you just fine and comfy...
I kinda developed a thing for the military wool blankets while back in the service.
johnny

No Farmers---No Food
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just try it, and if your warm enough to sleep then it worked. There are lots of variables that affect your metabolism on a given day, and many more that make yours differ from everyone else.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Get a Kifaru Woobie or a Hill People Gear serape. They are warm and are half the weight of the blanket and will compress smaller.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You'll likely have to find a way to attach it to the bag or you'll have it wadded up all the time. Sleeping in your shorts helps but it you wear anything else, you'll be tangled up all the time.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mark:
I'd advise getting a piece of polarfleece. That's what I did. Get it somewhat longer than you are tall and of course wider than your sleeping bag. Polarfleece will roll/fold into a rather small package and is very light weight and cheap. You may be able to stuff it in the same stuff bag you have for your sleeping bag. If it won't fit, just get a slightly larger stuff bag.
It is very light weight and should provide you with what you're looking for. I did this on one of our trips into the Brooks on an Aug. sheep hunt. Placed inside of my sleeping bag, it was too hot with the bag zipped up - had to unzip the bag to cool off.
Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,831
Posts18,496,693
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.