Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
For the knife makers on the forum, a hard lesson learned.

Aaahhh! Run in circles and poke my eyes out with a pencil. Aaahhh! I hate when I find out that spending money will make me better at something. Hate it.

I have been to two knife making workshops trying to learn how to hollow grind blades. I went up to Auburn, Maine on Wednesday to spend a day with Nick Rossi at the New England School of Metalworking. I had one purpose. To leave knowing how to hollow grind. I used a grinder made by Travis Weurtz. What a nice machine. I ground my first acceptable hollow ground blade at about the 4 hour mark. Nick was so good to show me where to apply pressure. What hand to lift... I got it. A couple months of practice and I'm planning on going back for another day. The grinder had an 8" wheel just like my Burr King. It had a variable speed motor, which I do not frown It seems to make life a lot easier to slow down the motor to half speed and to use your fingers to hold the blade and not a push stick. This, I am unable to do. It does appear necessary to give yourself a little tie to think about what you are doing before the material goes bye bye, especially the tip!

My machine cost me $1800. To add a Burr King kit of engine and controller to make it variable speed is another $1,000 frown My first thought was "are they kidding?" I called some nice people and found that I could use the setup on the Weurtz grinder, for a few hundred less. The motor would be a 1 1/2hp Leeson C face with a mounting foot to replace my 1 hp Baldor with it's 5/8" shaft. $247. The KBAC 27 controller is $365. So, I'm getting it done for $612 and about $50 shipping. It's still a lot of money. More money, and I have to take a perfectly good 1hp Baldor motor and put it in a box. It's not $1,000 though.

Just an observation, but to prevent future headache, frustration, and burnt off knife tips, all dedicated knife making grinders should have variable speeds! If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy a kit like the one at Polar Bear Forge for $200 & change, the $600 for my motor/controller and another $200 for shipping, parts, paint... whatever and have my variable speed grinder for $1,000. What a kick in the pants.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Big fan of Beaumont stuff here.

What does it mean when the primers fall out of the case?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Rob I just bought a TW90 a few months ago,I have a Bader and a RW Wilson grinder that I have used for years. The TW90 may be the finest knife grinder I have ever ground on.Best damn money I have ever spent on equipment for the shop.Buy one you won't be sorry!

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I used the TW at the school and it was nice. Smooth and quiet. I bought the same motor and controller for my Burr King. I think it's also a nice machine. I just welded up a new stand for it. Tomorrow I'll be painting it John Deere Green and setting my grinder on it. I'm waiting on the control and it's happy time. I can slow it down and make it more difficult for me to grind the tips off my blades.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Variable speed is the only way to go! It just gives you so much control it is hard to imagine. My brother and I use two Dozier grinders and a Bader. All are variable speed.

Harry
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That TW90 is sweeeettt! Why would you guys even post something up about that, now I want one bad. Does anyone have an 80% off coupon?

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,152
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.