Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by mart
Thanks. It was a bit of a headache getting the old model 70 into a new model 70 stock but I was able to make it come together. Someday I hope to get it stocked in a nice piece of English walnut or maybe have someone do a copy of the old super grade stock for it. It may just stay in this stock since it shoots so well. This is one of those rifles that will be with me till I'm to old to go anymore. I have it's big brother, the 400 Whelen on a new model 70 left hand. It will be sticking around as well. Now I need another lefty 70 to build a 38(375) Whelen on and I will be set up pretty well with Whelens.

Mart

Mart, I have one of those M70 LH conversions, too. Did you use a long or short action M70 stock on yours?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know that anybody makes what I want...

I'd like a nice lefty semiauto 16ga shotgun.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by inland44
Im not asking much, a Winchester M-70 LH bored to .35Whelen.

Maybe you're not asking for much, but I certainly think you have good taste.

I've got a M70 LH Classic that I had Redneck, Pac-Nor, and McMillan get together on and it's the only 35 Whelen in the world for me.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
F
F
An inexpensive, accurate .22 left-handed bolt rifle with a buttstock-fed tubular magazine(like the Nylon 66, Browning SA, and several other oldtimers), which will feed s,l, and lr ammo (and CB Caps).
My El Cheapo Savage wooden-stocked Mark II is almost perfect for me. It is very accurate and has a light, crisp trigger. Unfortunately, its box magazine only accepts long rifle rounds. I'd be happier with a tube mag.
Oh well, nobody said being a lefty was easy!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 270Mag
Thanks. It was a bit of a headache getting the old model 70 into a new model 70 stock but I was able to make it come together. Someday I hope to get it stocked in a nice piece of English walnut or maybe have someone do a copy of the old super grade stock for it. It may just stay in this stock since it shoots so well. This is one of those rifles that will be with me till I'm to old to go anymore. I have it's big brother, the 400 Whelen on a new model 70 left hand. It will be sticking around as well. Now I need another lefty 70 to build a 38(375) Whelen on and I will be set up pretty well with Whelens.

Mart

Mart, I have one of those M70 LH conversions, too. Did you use a long or short action M70 stock on yours?

I used a long action left handed stock. It was a bit longer in the receiver area if I remember correctly. Took a bit of fitting and glass bedding but it came out alright.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
... Sedgley Springfields converted to left handed, ...

This ^^^^ There was one on Auction Arms 10 or 12 years ago. It may have even been listed/re-listed a couple times. $600 at the time. Only had about half the discretionary funds necessary. IIRC, it sold for the opening bid. Have never seen another for sale.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There was another converted Sedgley on AA two years ago but it ended up going for $1200. I bid up to $1000 but that was my limit. Two weeks later I fell into a new left hand model 70 that now wears a 400 Whelen barrel. My intention was to rebarrel and restock the Sedgley but my pockets ended up being $200 to shallow at the time. I've seen a couple more Sedgleys and G&H's since then but they were on big auction firm's sites and went for several thousand dollars. One was a G&H with a small little spline and gear drive that really looked well done. It went for 8 grand. Oh well, at least I born with exceptional looks laugh cause I sure wasn't born with money.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a left hand converted mauser that was incredibly well done...I'm guessing it was done a long time ago but it is not with the ratcheting type conversion... not my grail though... a REAL, full-up left hand, double square bridge, Kurz mauser in some crazy nice English in 250 sav... half octagon, half round barrel.

Andrew
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have 2, a Remington Mod. 7 7mm08 with 20 inch barrel and a Mauser 7x57 set up as an English stalking rifle with open sights. Both true left handed of course.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
second choice would be a Ruger 77(tang safety)LH rechambered to .257Rob and fitted with a custom manlicher style stock.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
second choice would be a Ruger 77(tang safety)LH rechambered to .257Rob and fitted with a custom manlicher style stock.
The tang safety versions were not made in left-hand configuration.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Would love to have three of the new Winchester Supergrade M70s in .300 H&H, .30-06 and .270...left-handed, of course. The new FN-made Winchesters are very nice. Don't know if Winchester/FN will ever make a lefty, though. Maybe that'll change.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 03/03/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im not asking much, a Winchester M-70 LH bored to .35Whelen.

In stainless and .375H&H

"The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
My "Holy Grail" would be seeing Winchester manufacture true LH M70 Featherweights(with FWT contour barrels)in standard calibers, both long and short. Would love to own a LH FWT in 243 Win or 7mm-08 Rem. Hell 270 or 30.06 would even do it for me. Also, in both blued and stainless versions would be nice but with the old-style trigger. However, absolutely no more WSM calibers!

Not going to hold my breath,

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 03/05/13.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LH Weatherby MkV 9 lug in 30-06.

I wanted the classic caliber, I wanted an older gun, and I wanted a Weatherby since I was old enough to read a gun rag.

It's in my cabinet now, and I haven't bought another centerfire since.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
It depends on if it is something that exists or not. If not, then it would be a Lh Kimber Montana in .260. If it could, then a really fine customized Mauser in a trim wood stock, chambered in something like .270/7x64/280 like I read about as a lad in Jack O'Connor's books.

Maybe a short action pre-64 featherweight in .257 Roberts.

Or a beat up old gun with which I have taken my sheep grand slam.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RWE

I wanted the classic caliber, I wanted an older gun, and I wanted a Weatherby since I was old enough to read a gun rag.

Got one of those beauties myself. The only thing keeping me from using it is a lefty 700 CDL 243 that is just too accurate and effective and easy on my shoulder. I thought the 30-06 was the most boring hunting cartridge until I started using the 243.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TXpitdog
Originally Posted by RWE

Got one of those beauties myself. The only thing keeping me from using it is a lefty 700 CDL 243 that is just too accurate and effective and easy on my shoulder. I thought the 30-06 was the most boring hunting cartridge until I started using the 243.

Damn. Thought I had the only one. laugh

I spent a lot of time reloading different calibers, wildcats and such, and playing around accurizing and accessorizing and realized I was spending a lot more time tinkering with my hunting guns then hunting.

So, I decided after my shoulder got well enough to handle a good round, I would just get one more big game rifle, and as it would only be "1 more" I'd get something that I always wanted.

This one came about by pure accident - unfired but without a bolt, and it just so happened Weatherby had a LH 30-06 9 lug bolt laying around their shop. What are the chances? Slim, so I bought it.

I would never consider it a boring cartridge. It simply takes the guess work out of weapon choice in a world of infinite variables. And the gun lets me load it as hot as I want.

I shoot things, they die. Now I can enjoy hunting, and whomever I got with me.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Funny you should mention it, mine was unfired too! Still is. I've got a Zeiss 3-9x40 Z600 waiting for a new home but have been too lazy to order the rings and mounts.

I have several Mark V's, but none of them - until the '06 - were in a chambering practical for Texas. So I bought it with the intent of selling my lefty ss/lam Hawkeye' 06 to offset the cost. As is usually the problem, I can't bring myself to sell the Hawkeye!

I hesitated and missed a beauty of a 460 and am still kicking myself. Didn't want to sell my 5-panel Lazermark 378, but if I see another 460 the Lazermark is going bye-bye

...on earth as it is in Texas.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Mart,

I have a springfield that has been converted to LH by a Oregon gunsmith. it is set up to be a target rifle with a accrost the course marksman type stock. Heavy target barrel of unknown mfg. It is chambered for .30-.338. I had gunsmith Sid Goodling check it over and make a mount base to match the holes in the receiver. The barrel was full of cosmoline, but cleaned up to reveal sharp nice rifling. We got it cleaned up, loaded ammo with some MK. Shoots very well, less than 1/2 for 5 shots. Weighs about 12lbs. Not sure what I am going to do with it yet....

will dig it out and post some pictures for you guys as well as the name of the gunsmith. I would guess the work was done many years ago.

Lefty C

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1234, 41 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,107
Posts18,502,189
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.