Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
A word of caution: If you order a used blackpowder flask off the internet, tell the sender to make sure it's empty before they plop it in a box with no padding and send it in the mail.
Nuff said...

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
wow

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's kinda awesome! Another "ignorance is bliss" story.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sheesh.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
so whacha complaining about? The powder was worth something.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jeez

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I got a TC Greyhawk in the mail from a guy on Gunbroker and he shipped it to me with a load in the barrel.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Is that more dangerous than a can of Goex?

A flask is designed to come apart under pressure. It wouldn't be a bomb.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Bombs come apart under pressure too. I don't think a flask was designed to come apart either. I think it does because of mechanical stress just like a bomb. All of these things are not legal to put in the mail (as described vs HAZMAT) and that is the point the OP is making.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
hazmat is just a way for UPS to screw us over. They do nothing different when a package comes in with a sticker on it. Maybe they throw it around less?

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
No arguments here but that has no bearing on the law and what is appropriate to ship and by what method.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
i dont think i would have been to happy either .
Im the same way when people send me loaded guns . which happens alot .
as to what�s different . well that little stamp means they are not supposed to ship in the same container as a possible ignition source .
do they do that ? who knows , myself i seriously doubt it . myself i think they charge more and do very little to anything really different then they did in the past
As to the flasks being designed a given way .
If they are , it�s probably a modern thing .
Will it still hurt someone if it goes up . Ya it will . So will a can of Goex which is in a container that�s designed to come apart at a very low pressure .

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Jezzzzzzzzz... they send loaded guns? A lot??? Oh, brother... frown frown frown

What in the he** is WRONG with people?!?

That's just plain crazy...! crazy

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
yep alot .
for muzzleloaders , gun shows are great places to find loaded rifles and handguns . infact a few years ago i purchased to long rifles at a show , from 2 diffrent venders . while looking them over i found them loaded .
but does that really suprise you Ron , look aroudn here and think about how many posts there are where people talk about leaving their rifles loaded tell next season .
some folks forget , others ,,,, well just dont get the chance to forget

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was at a pawn store a few months ago and asked the owner (FFL Dealer) to see a CVA Optima he had behind the counter. I then asked for the BP wrench for better inspection at the bore. I took out the BP and I found 2 - 50 grain pellets and a conical in the bore. I gave it back to him and asked why it was loaded and never checked before he handed it to a potential buyer? He told me it wasn't?

He actually tried to convince me it was a type of vent liner that extended the fire channel to slow down the burn rate of powder.....Enough said!

I told him to empty the damn thing before someone got hurt and start actually checking his used guns......Then I left and haven't went back!

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

MH, the point has already been made, but for the purpose of differentiating smokeless from BP, a can or any container of BP that is ignited will explode with a lot of force. I seriously doubt a person would survive having a pound of BP detonate in close proximity to their torso or head. It has different characteristics than smokeless and storage/shipping regulations reflect that.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

MH, the point has already been made, but for the purpose of differentiating smokeless from BP, a can or any container of BP that is ignited will explode with a lot of force. I seriously doubt a person would survive having a pound of BP detonate in close proximity to their torso or head. It has different characteristics than smokeless and storage/shipping regulations reflect that.

I understand the dangers of shipping BP. My point was a flask full of BP shipped is no more dangerous than a can of BP. I never mentioned smokeless.

As for my comment on the flask not blowing? I was just passing on what an old timer told me. Probably not true.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
seriously doubt a person would survive having a pound of BP detonate in close proximity to their torso or head. It has different characteristics than smokeless and storage/shipping regulations reflect that.

actually they do . every now and then someone will have a powder horn go up . if they are lucky they just get away with some burns
it actually takes quite a bit for a Can of Goex to go up . i have one out in the shop which i keep to show people .

some years back my wife and i lost out camp in a fire . i had 4lbs of goex in the bottom of my field box .
the box was completely engulfed and burning to the point the outside can had the paint burnt off and it had warped . but the powder inside did not go off .
IMO the change which then made BP a explosive for shipping while at the same time not including synthetics or Smokeless powders , was just stupid

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigblock455
hazmat is just a way for UPS to screw us over. They do nothing different when a package comes in with a sticker on it. Maybe they throw it around less?
i actually got a package with powder and primers i'd ordered. looked like the UPS boys had been playing soccer with the box. laugh

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I understand the dangers of shipping BP. My point was a flask full of BP shipped is no more dangerous than a can of BP. I never mentioned smokeless.

As for my comment on the flask not blowing? I was just passing on what an old timer told me. Probably not true.

You mean to tell me you are actually admitting to not knowing what your talking about? I mean we all knew that already but this is a big step for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,006
Posts18,500,101
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.