"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TwentyTwo
KFWA:

For me, as a 1961 high school graduate who took all three years of the Army JROTC program, the most important benefits of that training were that I learned the fundamentals of map and compass use and that I learned to handle and use a rifle safely and effectively. Our enlisted instructors were all combat veterans who knew that the program was preparing us for war service and they took their jobs seriously. I was and am grateful for their instruction and example.

All the Army personnel, officers and NCOs, emphasized that we needed to learn as much as we could from all our high school courses. There was no tolerance for laziness, insolence or wilful ignorance.

that is encouraging

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
JROTC is a good deal - it provides the opportunity to develop a proper discipline, gain pride in yourself, and learn some very good skills that help throughout life. Leaders are proven and, in our school's case, very professional and valuable. They get to participate in many events as role models. Ours provide color guard at minor league hockey games (free tickets!), have met with groups of Medal of Honor recipients, and have just been invited to represent our state at the 70Th D-Day reunion next year.

The prospect of adding a unit in our school district was met with a bit of controversy over costs, but I haven't heard a peep in that regard in the several years they've been here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I took three years of JROTC in high school. Our program was not a hardcore program meant to weed out the "weak", which is kinda surprising since our instructors were all Vietnam Vets.

That being said, nearly all of my friends that I've kept in touch with over the years (graduated in 1989) I met in JROTC or I knew them before and then we were in JROTC together. I can count 5 right off hand.

It is a great experience that pays dividends, especially if your son joins or eventually attends a service academy.

44henry

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As my youngest son approached 9th grade he told me he wanted to sign up for ROTC. I saw no harm in it and agreed. Turned out to be awesome. The main instructor was a Lt. Colonel that was still an instructor pilot in the AFRES. We are right next to an Air Force base, and several times during high school they went on "incentive rides" on KC135's. They went on a field trip to Florida, and their transport was a C130. My son was in a jump seat in the cockpit during one of the landings. During that flight the pilot discovered that my son wanted to be a pilot, and that he wanted to fly F15's. He asked my son,"Want to see me do something in this plane that you can't do in an F15?" ...then he got up and fixed himself and the co-pilot lunch!
Any time you approached any of the kids in that ROTC class, they would look you in the eye, shake your hand, and call you sir. My son started caring about physical fitness, hygiene, and keeping his shoes spit shined. He did ROTC all four years in high school. He excelled on the drill team, advancing to the rank of Colonel and appointment as core commander. And he earned a full ride Air Force scholarship to college.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shortleade
As my youngest son approached 9th grade he told me he wanted to sign up for ROTC. I saw no harm in it and agreed. Turned out to be awesome. The main instructor was a Lt. Colonel that was still an instructor pilot in the AFRES. We are right next to an Air Force base, and several times during high school they went on "incentive rides" on KC135's. They went on a field trip to Florida, and their transport was a C130. My son was in a jump seat in the cockpit during one of the landings. During that flight the pilot discovered that my son wanted to be a pilot, and that he wanted to fly F15's. He asked my son,"Want to see me do something in this plane that you can't do in an F15?" ...then he got up and fixed himself and the co-pilot lunch!
Any time you approached any of the kids in that ROTC class, they would look you in the eye, shake your hand, and call you sir. My son started caring about physical fitness, hygiene, and keeping his shoes spit shined. He did ROTC all four years in high school. He excelled on the drill team, advancing to the rank of Colonel and appointment as core commander. And he earned a full ride Air Force scholarship to college.
Sweet. Congrats to your son.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I was in JROTC for all of my high school years. We had a shooting team that I was on and became the company commander my senior year. Went straight to The Citadel after high school, but that place wasn't my gig. Joined the CG and was an E3 because of ROTC time.

We had a good program with good people running. I wouldn't change a thing.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I joined the JROTC my first year in HS for one purpose. To get on the rifle team.

They had a shooting range under the building that housed the wood shop and metal shop and you could shoot for free after school. In my first "test" I managed to make first alternate on a team of six. No bad considering I'd never shot three position with a match .22 rifle.

I would have stuck with it but my parents had already made an offer on a home that was 200 miles away and we moved about six weeks after school started. That ended my military career.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,177 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,728
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.