Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
WITUfan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I am hoping to build my first rifle later this year. I have had this project on the back burner for some time mostly because I haven't been able to decide what I want. At this point, I am really leaning toward either a .257 Roberts or the AI round. I honestly can't decide. I'm not thinking of the AI route because I want to push the envelope on velocity. If that is what I wanted, I would just go .25/06. I guess the cool factor or just because it is different part of it appeals to me. Regardless, I like the idea of having an accurate, light recoiling and fun to shoot round.

What would you do and why?

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
250AI. It's a skookum fit in a short action and does everything a Roberts will do.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What action are you building on? Are you just planning now, or are all the parts piled up and just choosing a reamer?

What does it mean when the primers fall out of the case?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
WITUfan,

I've had considerable experience with both the .257 Roberts and the Ackley version. The AI gets about another 100 fps but damned if i could ever tell the difference in the field, either in trajectory out to 400 yards or killing power. However, you don't hve to trim .257 AI brass, is that's important.

The .250 AI has just about exactly the same powder capacity as the .257 Roberts, the reason it will do the same things. But I've yet to have any problems with the .257 in at least half a dozen short-action rifles. The standard throat is set up for any common hunting bullet. The 115 Berged VLD would be an exception, but unless you're shooting past 500 yards you'll never notice the difference.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would avoid either one. The 257 Roberts is dead in terms of the market. While there is some interest on hobby forums in the old round you won't find ammo for it in stores.

What do you want the rifle for? If it's varmints there are better rounds like the 243.

If it's deer then more gun is better.

On the other hand many just want something to do and look forward to and guns are good clean fun.

Get the .243.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Jesus...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You can't go wrong with either. Ammo is a bear to find right now in any caliber. Components are hard to find as well. Buy whatever Roberts ammo or brass you can find and then start the project.

I am in the process of building both, a 22" #2 Douglas, 257R in a Monte Carlo style with semi-fancy claro, and a 24" #2 Douglas, 257AI in a Classic style with AA wood.

I would own either of these calibers over a 25-06.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
W
WITUfan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have a standard action LH Ruger 77. It is currently a .30/06. I don't have all the components in place, but my father in law is planning to put together another rifle and I am hoping to order the barrel when he orders his.

I have gone around and around in my mind regarding what to build. I have also considered the following: .240 Weatherby, .25/06 AI, 6.5/06, 6.5/06AI, 280 AI (almost decided on that, but I came into a 7mm RM while mulling this over) and .338/06.

I cut the .338/06 off my current list because I have the least use for it at the moment. My primary thought process is I really want something I can't just go out and buy. Shooting lefty, that is a long list. I don't mind making brass via shooting (that doesn't sound bad at all) but I'm not sure I want to take on much more than that at this time (time constraints). I have finally decided that I just want the most pleasant to shoot rifle I can make and so I decided .257 Roberts or AI. I already have a .257 Roberts (Ruger #1) - oddly it isn't really a burden to find or make ammo for it - and I really like the round.

Mule Deer, if the donor was a short action, the .250 AI would be at the top of my very short list . . .

I'm sure I'm just splitting hairs with my question. Of course, I don't have to explain myself here. I feel like I have found a support group or something. If I were to ask this question of any of the guys I hunt with other than my father in law, they would say "a .257 Huh?"

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Long action, then Roberts (not that it will not work in a short, but no reason to put a 250 in a LA).

I'd roll a 257AI, because I'm funny that way. Put a 1-9" twist tube on it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I built a 257 Bob on a Remy 700 short action last year because a wanted a light recoiling rifle in a lightweight package.I used a #1 coutour Douglas barrel at 22". It turned out 7 lbs. 12 ozs scoped. I may put it in a lighter stock later to shave another 6-8 ozs. Light recoiling and very accurate. I'm pleased with how the build turned out. The first 25 caliber I have ever owned. I did'nt do an A.I. but sometimes I wish that I had. Just a little more trouble fire-forming brass which I do for my 280 A.I. Factory ammo is hard to find but it is out there. Hornady has two great loads but I would not recommend unless you handload. Would I do the build again knowing what I know now, absoultely but I might go with the A.I. Most accurate load I have found is the 100 grain Sierra Pro Hunter with max. charge of IMR 3031 right out of the Sierra manual.
Good luck with your build.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you already have a Bob I would go with something 6mm or 6.5/06 in that long action. A 6 or 6.5x284 would be an option too if you wanted to seat way out. Just sayin since you haven't got a quarter bore barrel yet. Although I am one to talk about duplicating a good thing. I haven't got a pile of cloned rifles, but 1911 and Glock 34's are a different story.

What does it mean when the primers fall out of the case?
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Jesus...

I know! Same old Don, same old song and dance.....

I guess I would be pretty well off If I had a buck for every deer killed by the Roberts.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Well I was in your shoes a few years ago and went with the .257AI. Al I can say is never again. Especially with ammo prices. It is true forming brass is not a big deal but it still has to be done and is more costly now. If you are set on the Roberts great build the Roberts but forget the AI version.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 250Savage, 257Roberts, and the 7x57Mauser...the three most useful game cartridges ever chambered! powdr

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Get the .243.
Blasphemy!

Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd roll a 257AI, because I'm funny that way. Put a 1-9" twist tube on it.
And there you have it.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I'm with MuleDeer. I'm perfectly with my .257 Roberts, built on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action with Douglas featherweight barrel, but throated for 3" OAL with typical bullets. Metal work done by Harry Creighton (Nashville, TN), and stocked with a very nice piece of Claro from Pachmayr. Vintage mid-'70's, obviously. I've never seen the need for another 100 fps.

Clarence

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WITUfan

What would you do and why?

i'd leave it a standard Roberts.

Because I have killed a pile of game with it and know what it will do. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like the std. 257 Roberts (never owned the AI version).

But, IMO, its one cartridge (like the 22-250, 220 Swift and Hornet) that seems to need trim lengths monitored. I avoid it by having piles of brass, but it is something to consider..

AI's "trim" on the first fireform and reduce it thereafter, FWIW.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I currently own and shoot a .257R, 243Win, 6mmRem in the past I loaded for a 250 and a 257AI. I've never been able to see much difference in field performance. My current 257R is a Serengeti/Montana/PacNor combo that I'm partial to not so much because it's a 257R but rather I like the rifle. It would be just as sweet in a 6mm or 243. For me it's the rifle not a small difference in case shape or an even smaller difference in bullet diameter.

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ive got a .257 AI built by my grandfather back in the 80's. I love the gun but have no field results to compare it to the bob. I enjoy reloading but the fireforming is getting quite expensive. I managed to stock up on supplies a while ago. And have just about depeleted my stash between fireforming and loading similar components in my 25-06. About to spend alot of time and $$ restocking. But such is life.

Back about 13 years ago i was having a 280AI put together. I will say i was younger and quite dumb at that time and made a few poor life decisions and lost the build. Were it my choice thats what I'd go with had I a bob in the case.

Hunt...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,152
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.