Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Digging around in the basement of this old house I bought and found a box of "Remington UMC" brand .22 Special cartridges. OLD,VERY OLD..!! Copper Cases and RNL bullets,looks to be about 40gr in size.
I read how these would chamber in a .22 Mag,but would question sanity of chambering something this old in my M77 and seeing if it blows up. I was wondering if there's a rimfireBUFF out there who is looking for something of this vintage.I have certainly never seen a rifle that fires these,not even in another's collection...... If someone is interested, virgillloydyahoo.com and I'll send a pic of the antique stuff.I certainly won't go chambering these and trying them out. The looks of the box alone is something older than anything my 67 years has seen. I would like to see what the rifle looks like if anyone owns one that uses this ammo...

History is my teacher: VietNam was my lesson.!
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's the same as a .22 WRF from Winchester.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A photo of the box and rounds would help us determine the approximate age.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by model70man
It's the same as a .22 WRF from Winchester.

That.

I'm still shooting a 1890 Winchester chambered for .22 WRF. Grandfather's first gun, vintage 1910.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forty-five grain bullet at about 1450 FPS, just Remington's name for a .22 Winchester Rim Fire (WRF).

The box and cartridges would make a neat display on a back bar or shelf.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Not too familiar with this site....How do I attach a PIC... I do have pics thatshow the bullets and box....VERY OLD has "Remington UMC " as brand and in a box type I haven't seen since I was a KID.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Bet that's a cool little rifle..!

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Cool idea.. I do have Knife displays and such to put with it...Harley collectible knife sets and such.. May try to figure out how to make it look good... Age of it would lend to the effect.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Seems to be the consensus... If I can figure out how to put a pic of it on this site,I did one pic showing the LR,Spec,and Mag in one pic with the special between the two, and the odd looking bullet shaped like old cowboy loads used to be.. The bullets almost appear to be semi-FP made from round nosed lead.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Love your PHOTO...my favorite person.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
4th from right:

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To post a pic:

Locate an online image hosting site such as Photobucket and open an account. Once done click on the "upload" icon. Click "browse" and it will open the documents file in your computer. Select the photo or photos you want to upload and enter.

With that done, each site has different ways to transfer URL info and you'll need to follow their instructions. PB allows you to click on the upper right and then the "links" in the drop down menu that follows. Copy the link and paste it here. Sounds more difficult than it is....if you have a youngster handy they can show you in about 1.338384757923 seconds.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
That is ONE BEAUTIFUL piece.!! Love the barrel length. They really made nice stuff back in those days.... Stamped-out in Japan or Portugal these days. Figure out a way to get my 19 rounds to you or else trade me some .22 Lr's and you can have a box of ammo atleast as oldas this gun. even have Copper Casings,and RNL Bullets.!
virgillloydyahoo.com

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
YEP... except mine are Copper-Cased with RNL bullets. Label says .22 Remington Special Smokeless on the box top and UMC insignias on the sides. Different looking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad has an old Winchester bolt in. 22 WRF. He got it somewhere when he was young and the rifle had some years on it then. Ammo was hard to find pre-internet, but not so much now. Even the new boxes are "retro" just fyi.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Appreciate the offer but I have thousands of WRF rounds and some are like what you describe albeit in W-W boxes. Aside from that, I'm unloading antique ammo at every opportunity these days.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Let me know when you get ready to "unload" the rifle in the pic...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry, cold dead hands and all that....key word above "ammo".

I am..........disturbed.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
4th from right:

[Linked Image]

Dan Re: the third cartridge from the left. Maybe I'm confused but by case length it appears to be a Long but the bullet is too large(big?) All the Longs I shot had 29gr bullets just as the Short. Or did the Stinger have a longer case?

What is the cartridge on the far right?

Last edited by websterparish47; 03/11/13.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,635
Posts18,512,118
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.