Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Question.
I know I have to fill out paperwork to get my guns into S.A., my PH said he will send me the paperwork a month before my departure date.
My question is: Do I need to fill out paperwork to get my guns back into the country?
Thanks in advance
Mike

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
All you need to get firearms back into the U.S. is Customs Form 4457. This is free and once filled out for a certain firearm is good forever. It proves you had the firearms before leaving the U.S., so you can legally bring them back in.

Theoretically, if your firearms are stamped "Made in the U.S.A." you don't have to do the form. A sales receipt from a U.S. store with the serial # also is legal. But some customs agents don't know all the rules, so getting a 4457 takes care of any hassles. You can get one at the nearest customs office, or even a TSA office. It's easiest to make an appointment to bring your guns in.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Exactamudo.....best way is the little white form 4457

I was unable to do this once so had a copy of my 4473 ( the form you fill out when you buy the gun) made and used that.

Customs lady told me that wasnt good enough... ( WTF?) so I asked for her supervisor, who luckily knew what his job entailed, and cleared it instantly.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
When coming back from Argentina once I was informed by the young customs agent that my 4457 for my two shotguns wasn't valid, since it was a couple years ago. She firmly believed a 4457 had to be filled out EVERY time you traveled out of the country. Same deal: Her supervisor set her straight.

On the other hand, I once took the sales receipt for a Ruger No. 1 .375 H&H as proof of ownership on a trip to South Africa. The customs agent in Atlanta was a husky guy in his mid-30's. He took a look at the receipt and said, "You sure got a good deal on that No. 1!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
All you need to get firearms back into the U.S. is Customs Form 4457. This is free and once filled out for a certain firearm is good forever. It proves you had the firearms before leaving the U.S., so you can legally bring them back in.

Theoretically, if your firearms are stamped "Made in the U.S.A." you don't have to do the form. A sales receipt from a U.S. store with the serial # also is legal. But some customs agents don't know all the rules, so getting a 4457 takes care of any hassles. You can get one at the nearest customs office, or even a TSA office. It's easiest to make an appointment to bring your guns in.

I go to customs as they are used to seeing folks walk in with a gun case. Tried going in to TSA once and caused a big furor as they'd never seen anyone walk in with a gun case. They gave me a case of grief so I walked out.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We don't have a customs office closer than 90 miles from here. We do have a TSA office, and all I have to do is call and make an appointment. Have done it several times with no problems--but even then I don't walk into their office unnannounced. Instead I go in and somebody goes out to my vehicle with me and records all the info. It's pretty simple.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mike,
Have you thought of using a rifle service?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thanks everyone for the usefull info, I will get on line and find the nearest customs or TSA office and do this next week.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Marius,
I am unfamiliar with a rifle service. Is this a way I can insure my guns also?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A rifle service applies for the temporary import permit on your behalf. So, you can be assured that everything will be in order by the time you land at Johannesburg. The one I always recommend to my hunters, will meet you as you come through the doors at Johannesburg airport and take you where you need to be. You will also be assured that the paperwork is in order and no hassles of incorrect filled in forms.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I see. I talked with my PH and he said he is going to meet me at the airport and that he would handle retreiving our guns. Sounds like he may be providing me a similar service.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great.Best of luck on your safari!

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The Customs Form 4457 is not just for guns, you can use it for any type of valuable personal property that you are taking out of the country. It provides proof that you did not acquire it outside of the USA and therefore ensures that you do not have to pay import duties on it. Though it's not required, I would consider getting one if I had a very valuable camera or other piece of gear that I was taking on a hunt.

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 21, 1234, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,399
Posts18,527,916
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.