Print Thread
Hop To
R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I finally found a good, used torque screwdriver a shooting buddy owned and was willing to sell at a reasonable price and so, I bought it.

I realize each rifle is an "individual", but I'd like to get a general idea of the amount of torque to put on the 2 pillar-bedded action screws from those fellas with experience in this area of knowledge.

I've got a Vermint model CZ453 (with a factory heavy-barrel and single-set trigger) on which I had my gunsmith pillar-bed the two action screws, the ones just in front of and just behind the trigger guard. I also had my gunsmith glas-bed the receiver and re-float the heavy 20-inch barrel.

The rifle shoots pretty darned good with Wolf Match/Target ammo, but now, I'm ready for the final "tune-up"... i.e., finding "THE" perfect pound/inches to put on the 2 action screws.

Please tell me what your experiences have been on this area of expertise since I have no idea what to begin to try.

Thanks, guys... wink

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
well ron i don't have a 453 but i do have a cz 452 american. i haven't pillar bedded it or anything like that as it shoots pretty darned good as is. i have found that 20 in/lbs will get you in the ball park and you can vary up and down by 2 in/lbs until you find the sweet spot for your particular rifle. i installed dip inc. torx action screws just for this purpose as i didn't wanna slip with the driver and mar the finish.
good luck,
whitearrow

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a 452 varmint and I agree with whitearrow. However, I went to the range with the rifle and a bunch of ammo and tested and tested and tested. Turned out my rifle prefers 18 in-lbs rear, 22 in-lbs front.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
deffinetly take a bunch of your selected ammo to the range and if you can shoot (5) 5-shot groups per in/lbs setting and measure and average the groups you should get a good idea of what your rifle will do. I just threw out 20 in/lbs because that is where i have found that my factory stock americans shoot sub moa at and as always ymmv. I would start at around 12 in/lbs and go up by 2 in/lbs until you get to 26 in/lbs and see how it all shakes out.
good luck,
whitearrow

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pilar bedding makes it metal to metal. Torque is important metal to wood. This keeps the metal from digging into the wood or at least the same each time. I use a FAT torque wrench. Metal To metal I set it at 45 in . IMHO there is no sweet spot. Just be consistant. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your gunsmith did a good job of bedding, I would snug them tight by feel. Multiple torque settings help when you have a bedding problem and don't want to remove the stress. If you are itching to use your torque wrench then I would say no less than 20 in/lb and no more than 30 in/lb, keep the values the same for the action screws.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (219DW, 222Sako, 204guy, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,297
Posts18,487,051
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.