Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I started a thread awhile back asking for opinions about the RedRam line
Based upon responses and what i had read in other threads,i chose SmartWool as my first merino wool selection.
The base layer gear that i had been wearing for years with extremely positive results had been Cabela's own brand-Thermastat- which regretably has been discontinued. This synthetic base layer had been the very first successful item in a long line of purchases. The medium (grey color) had kept me warm,didn't collect body odors and especially important to me-it did not shrink or draw up as most synthetics are apt to do. The uppers were a TALL LARGE.
But as the years passed the THERMASTAT began to lose its elastic in the bottom's waistline and in the uppers sleeve openings.
Wanting to try something new and wanting to see how merino wool base layer would work i purchased SmartWool tops and bottoms.
The bottoms fit well but the tops are another matter. The length of the torso material is too short. Now i'm 64 yrs old,6' 2-3" and weigh 230 and have a bit of "roundness" at the beltline.
I heard good things about Icebreaker merino wool and tried them. Again the bottoms are no problem in fit but.....again.....the tops are no joy. Same issue......short torso length.
Neither brand offers a TALL sizing.
I have never read anyone mentioning the problem i'm experiencing. I don't believe my upper body is abnormal in size or dimensions.
I have tried the L and XL tops in both brands to no avail. The XXL tops just get bigger around but not in torso length.
Anyone experiencing a shortness in shirttail length in merino wool tops?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Usually Smartwool is the answer to that question.

The good news is, you really only have Ibex and Firstlite left to try.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First Lite seems to run a little longer in length, but is a little coarser if that matters. Sign up with camofire they always have sales on the different pieces.

Last edited by Biathlonman; 03/02/13.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
10-4.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have this problem with many shirts. I have really short legs but a long torso. I have to buy tall sized tops in pretty much everything or they hit me at about the belt line. Which for under layers is a big pain. Please let me know if you find some merino tops that work.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'll do that.
I'm pretty evenly limbed. Bottoms are usually a L or XL just depends on the cut.....inseam is 33"-34".

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Try Minus33. They offer some tall sizes in some tops ( black only ) and tall sizes in the bottoms also. I'm 6-4 and around 235#. Got some of their crew neck tops in tall and their 1/4 zip tops in regular length. Both are long enough in length. Order some and send back what doesn't fit. That's what I did. No problem on returns.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am kinda in the same boat. I normally wear large/tall tops and 38/30 bottoms. Most XL tops are to big around and still to short. I recently bought a long sleeve and short sleeved Golite merino wool. Golite is made for skinny hikers types so a XL fits like a large. The XXL long sleeved top fits me perfect. Any other company their XXL is WAY too big but the Golite is long enough and not too big around.

I have had Smartwoll, Golite, Minus33 and Cabelas merino wool. Golite is my favorite for both fit and the fabric itself. Plus it was cheap as Golite always has some type of sale going on. I even get 50% off "pro deal" on Smartwool and still prefer Golite. I think I got both the long sleeve and the tee for $70.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I/O Merino is another quality option to try. A call to them would answer sizing questions.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am 6' 7" and a bit over my normal weight of 365. I got the Minus 33 midweight set for Christmas. they are available to either 5X or 6X and also in TALL sixes. I got the 4XTalls and they are perfect in every way...

They are very well made, and extremely comfortable. This kind of fit is a rarity for me, as I am long in the torso. (gettin kinda big around, too!)

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I ordered the midweight Minus 33 yesterday in L TALL and XL TALL.

I'll report back here on this thread when the package arrives.......might take a while from the sounds of this latest storm front moving but i am hyped to see their product.

Thanx for the leads,guys.....great wealth of knowledge and experience to draw from on this site.
But i am still perplexed that this topic of upper sizing as it relates to merino wool products has not been discussed. Not just from our perspective of hunting but from skiers and other sports activities that make the shirttail crawl upward and create a draft to the nether regions.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
LL Bean makes mid and heavy in tall as well

Support your local brewer.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Received my order from MINUS 33. I had ordered two uppers.....a style 705 LT and a 705 XLT.
Both are very generous in their sizing. After a couple of quickly answered email exchanges i will go with the XLT adding a second one in exchange for the one LT.
The torso length is very long......no worries over that issue.
The fit and finish and seams match anything i have encountered from more recognizeable brands. The current styling seems to have irregular cut "panels" sewn together for whatever marketing reasoning....these 705 styles of the MINUS 33 line are conventional cuts.
They are super soft,midweight 18.5 Micron Merino Wool,230 gram,2 Interlock knit construction.....the neck tag is not sewn in so no chaffing in that area
I cannot comment on weatherability due to the fact that our winter was warm and dry....currently it's 83 degs with 35-50 mph winds....trees are blooming and leafing....to soon.
I thank you guys for your inputs.....it's appreciated greatly. I believe i will be a warm happy coyote caller next winter.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Another place to look for merino wool is Filson. It's more expensive than the Smartwool and Minus 33, but at 6'4", their tops and bottoms had plenty of length for me. Now if I can just find them now that I've moved to a new place...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Another brand to look into is KUIU, Have been very pleased with there fit on everything. Icebreaker and Minus33 work great too.

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
R
R
I have the merino top and bottoms from C4E and have been very happy with them. I am 6'3 215 and they fit fine.

Last edited by rjs34; 04/21/13.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
+1 on the C4E. They are longer so they stay tucked in. They are the 190gm2. My other favs are the SmartWool Micro Weight at 150gm2.

7mm-375Ruger
Stiller TAC 300
Broughton 5C 9tw @ 28"
Jewell Trigger
Greybull Precision stock
180VLD @ 3145fps

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,134
Posts18,483,931
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.