Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Bob, who said anything about a Kimber or custom rifle? this guy was asking if $649.00 was a good deal, so I think the money was a factor in his decision, then You say well You can always drop it in a $550.00 stock if You don't like the 2x4 stud that the Extreme weather comes mounted in, that kinda defeats the purpose of the whole idea don't you think? someone posted a pic of an Extreme weather (.308 Win I think)in an Edge stock a while back and it was one of the sharpest rigs I've seen in a long time, but not an outfit I would consider a bargain. I would definitely suggest that this guy handle an Extreme Weather and make sure he can live with it's abomination of a stock, if he can it's a great deal, Hell he might even love the clubby chunk of synthetic B&C calls a rifle stock grin...................Hillbilly.

GB1

J
jd3006 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Guys,I started this topic too get some ideas on the SC Winchesters. I've always been a walnut man and haven't seen a "plastic" stock yet that I really like. What I'd love is a EW rifle or a Remmy stainless in a nicely figured piece of real wood. Some of the painted "plastics" on here look really good but they don't come that way and the money to add extras adds up fast. I can't justify paying $500 for a stock when another rifle to add to the collection can be had for about that. The EW is a nice looking rifle but that stock does feel like a 2x4. To each his own I guess.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

J
jd3006 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I do like the stainless CDL and the Winnie but I really want fancier walnut. The plain walnut can be had anywhere.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
someone posted a pic of an Extreme weather (.308 Win I think)in an Edge stock a while back and it was one of the sharpest rigs I've seen in a long time, but not an outfit I would consider a bargain.

Maybe it is a bargain, if you consider that people pay $1200 for a Finnlite, and add an Edge for $500.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jd3006
I do like the stainless CDL and the Winnie but I really want fancier walnut. The plain walnut can be had anywhere.

JD: Well some of the wood I've seen on the SC M70's is quite nice,and some is VERY nice ;but then again it depends on what you consider "nice wood". I'm no wood expert but for the price of an FN M70 I would go and look at a bunch and see if you can wind up with a nice piece.They are out there.Are they as good as a custom blank costing a grand? No, but there are some nice factory stocks nevertheless.

I do like the looks of the stainless rifles in the FW wood stocks.Handsome rifles.

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/01/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Bob, who said anything about a Kimber or custom rifle? this guy was asking if $649.00 was a good deal, so I think the money was a factor in his decision, then You say well You can always drop it in a $550.00 stock if You don't like the 2x4 stud that the Extreme weather comes mounted in, that kinda defeats the purpose of the whole idea don't you think? someone posted a pic of an Extreme weather (.308 Win I think)in an Edge stock a while back and it was one of the sharpest rigs I've seen in a long time, but not an outfit I would consider a bargain. I would definitely suggest that this guy handle an Extreme Weather and make sure he can live with it's abomination of a stock, if he can it's a great deal, Hell he might even love the clubby chunk of synthetic B&C calls a rifle stock grin...................Hillbilly.

Hillbilly all I'm saying is that at $649 bucks the rifle is a good one and will perform for him...from there he can do what he wants...if a guy does not like the factory synthetic,he can swap it out.Does this make sense? Sure it does to get the rifle/stock you want.

Hell I can find fault with every single factory stock out there on rifles costing under a grand....from that perspective there are no "bargains".

There are no factory synthetics on rifles retailing under a grand today that I would want....if I liked the metal enough, I'd replace every one of them.

I know you don't like the EW stock....have you shot any of them?

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Neither sounds like much of a bargain to Me Whelen......................Hillbilly.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Bob, I do understand what you are saying and I'm sure the EW in stock form would be a reliable and by most accounts a very accurate rifle and no I have not shot one yet (kinda doubt I ever will unless a buddy buys one)only handled a few at some gun shops. like I said before, from the reviews I've read here and other places they are supposed to be very accurate, and I love Me some accuracy wink..........Hillbilly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I purchased one for a Christmas present for me. I had to special order it, because NOBODY had them in 7mm mag. and didn't know when they would get them. There were plenty of .270's and .30-06's, but I wanted a 7mm mag. After all the special order crap, fees and bla bla bla, it came to about $1,100 out the door at Sportsmans Warehouse. I had two of the older model 70 classics in 7mm mag. One was a dog (sold it), the other shoots itty bitty groups. I hoped to heck the new one would shoot under an inch, especially for the money. The machining, fit and finish on everyone I fondled was superb. The one I received was no different. The chamber mouth did have a bad burr on it, but a few seconds of 000 steel wool on a bore brush took care of that.

It has been under 20 degrees out here forever and I couldn't wait any longer. I mounted a Leupold VXIII 3.5x10 tactical on it with Leupold dual dove tail bases and rings (this is a rock solid platform)and headed to the mountains in a foot of snow to shoot her.

I had some old 140 grain partitions I loaded for a Model 700 7mm magnum. First five shot group was 1.25". I was thrilled! I loaded up some 140 grain Nosler ballistic tips behind H4831 and they averaged .75 for 5 shot groups. Oh yeah baby, she's a shooter, because I was FREEZING! I worked up some 120 grain ballistic tips just for fun with H414 and got 5 shot groups at .75 as well, but the hang fires were not cool in the cold temps. I had heard this about H414, but never experienced it for myself. Now I had, so the rumors are true :o) So I abandoned the 120's for now. I'm working up some 160's now for long range work, but the 140 ballistic tips out of a 26" tube are pretty darn impressive at nearly 3,300 fps.

All total, I have over 100 rounds through the rifle and it feeds like a hungry baby. It feeds perfectly with empty cases, upside down, fast, slow, short stroke etc. This is what I would hoped it would perform like. I am VERY happy with the rifle and the trigger as is. Mine is about 3.5 lbs., but I am not going to touch it, because there is no creep or over travel at all.

I like the B and C stock as well. It isn't a Mcmillan classic, but still feels good and is stiff.

I sold two Remingtons that shot even better, but I have no regrets. I really wanted a great CRF rifle and I finally have one. Winchester finally got it right with this rifle. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Flinch: There ya go! Kinda "push button",right? smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Flinch
I purchased one for a Christmas present for me. I had to special order it, because NOBODY had them in 7mm mag. and didn't know when they would get them. There were plenty of .270's and .30-06's, but I wanted a 7mm mag. After all the special order crap, fees and bla bla bla, it came to about $1,100 out the door at Sportsmans Warehouse. I had two of the older model 70 classics in 7mm mag. One was a dog (sold it), the other shoots itty bitty groups. I hoped to heck the new one would shoot under an inch, especially for the money. The machining, fit and finish on everyone I fondled was superb. The one I received was no different. The chamber mouth did have a bad burr on it, but a few seconds of 000 steel wool on a bore brush took care of that.

It has been under 20 degrees out here forever and I couldn't wait any longer. I mounted a Leupold VXIII 3.5x10 tactical on it with Leupold dual dove tail bases and rings (this is a rock solid platform)and headed to the mountains in a foot of snow to shoot her.

I had some old 140 grain partitions I loaded for a Model 700 7mm magnum. First five shot group was 1.25". I was thrilled! I loaded up some 140 grain Nosler ballistic tips behind H4831 and they averaged .75 for 5 shot groups. Oh yeah baby, she's a shooter, because I was FREEZING! I worked up some 120 grain ballistic tips just for fun with H414 and got 5 shot groups at .75 as well, but the hang fires were not cool in the cold temps. I had heard this about H414, but never experienced it for myself. Now I had, so the rumors are true :o) So I abandoned the 120's for now. I'm working up some 160's now for long range work, but the 140 ballistic tips out of a 26" tube are pretty darn impressive at nearly 3,300 fps.

All total, I have over 100 rounds through the rifle and it feeds like a hungry baby. It feeds perfectly with empty cases, upside down, fast, slow, short stroke etc. This is what I would hoped it would perform like. I am VERY happy with the rifle and the trigger as is. Mine is about 3.5 lbs., but I am not going to touch it, because there is no creep or over travel at all.

I like the B and C stock as well. It isn't a Mcmillan classic, but still feels good and is stiff.

I sold two Remingtons that shot even better, but I have no regrets. I really wanted a great CRF rifle and I finally have one. Winchester finally got it right with this rifle. Flinch

I didn't realize this thread was risen from the dead grin.. Flinch, glad to see you are having good luck with your EW. They are great rifles..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (10gaugemag, 673, 79S, 450hunter, 22 invisible), 1,949 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,478
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.