-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a 3-round group from last weekend, using a Hill Country Rifles custom sheep rifle in 257 Wby.

I hope to get the same results with a 375 H&H I currently have at HCR. wink

Eric

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As was the case prior to me ordering, far more good reports than bad here. I feel even better.

War Damn Eagle!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have at least six hill country rifles. Harvester, full custom including their genesis and all of my guns will shoot tiny groups. I have several other customs that shoot great also but none better.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Good buddy of mine had a Rem 700 300wsm sent there, they did a muzzle break, put a stock to it (not sure which kind but it was very light) and trued up the action. The thing shoots like a house a fire, but I think they were expensive for the work they did.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by ringworm
Wondering what the guys here who own HCR set ups think. Not the guys who have never had them do any work or bought one of thier rifles and are just pissy becasue they wont work on Kimbers.
Pics of your set-ups and the tale of the tape would help me.
I have one that hasnt been shot since it was zero'd by Matt and I am considering moving it.

I've only had mine, a harvester 7mag for 9 months, but it was sent to me with the target showing 154 Hornady SP's custom ammo going .495. Numerous reloads will do the same thing. Which rifle do you have? I'm really wanting a HCR 7-08.

I realize this is a super old thread, but I just bought a 7-08 rifle they had on their site ready to go with a Swarovski Z8 2-16x50 scope. I sold some safe queens that I didn't have time to work up the loads. I will know now it isn't the load or the rifle if my groups aren't stellar. I'm a big fan of the 7-08 for most of the stuff around here.

Plan on taking a Mauser in a .458 Lott that I have for them to do their deluxe accurizing services if they can sort it out.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had one of their accuracy jobs on a Kimber Montana in 270 WSM and it took them 6 months. When I got back it was bedded at an angle with the barrel not in the stock. Sent it back and asked them to repair it. They did and sent me a bill for the "correction" along with the gun. Gun shot about a 3" group and sent it back again. They hounded me to pay them again!!! Would not return gun and had to get an attorney friend out of San Antonio to talk with them. They agreed to buy the Montana at a discount if I would return the target. I never got the money back from them for the accuracy job and made a decision never to do business with Matt. Saw the gun a few months later at the DSC show with a new target! Some people like their work, but they are out for the buck in my opinion!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I acquired a Ruger in 257 Rob that they had "accurized".
Shoots about like std factory rifle accuracy. Nice but not great.
Never found the magic hand load. Good enough to kill deer so.....

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Texasdude29
I had one of their accuracy jobs on a Kimber Montana in 270 WSM and it took them 6 months. When I got back it was bedded at an angle with the barrel not in the stock. Sent it back and asked them to repair it. They did and sent me a bill for the "correction" along with the gun. Gun shot about a 3" group and sent it back again. They hounded me to pay them again!!! Would not return gun and had to get an attorney friend out of San Antonio to talk with them. They agreed to buy the Montana at a discount if I would return the target. I never got the money back from them for the accuracy job and made a decision never to do business with Matt. Saw the gun a few months later at the DSC show with a new target! Some people like their work, but they are out for the buck in my opinion!

Makes me wonder how their "3/4" of an inch 3 shot guarantee" would factor into this. Did they have this guarantee at the time you had your rifle done? Or was it not the deluxe accurizing service that they apply this guarantee. Still, a 3" group is pretty bad. I have never had any rifle that was that bad out of the box.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Easy Pass, way overpriced.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
They have built 3 rifles for me. All are fantastic

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by andrews1958
They have built 3 rifles for me. All are fantastic

HCR built three rifles for me, all on Winchester 70 Classic actions in .280 Remington, .350 Rem Mag, and 7mm Dakota.

Like others have said, shot about as well as factory rifles for which I've worked up handloads.

The Dakota did not feed correctly despite a few trips back to HCR until I sent it to Gene Simillion to be corrected.

At the time J Earl Bridges was their stock maker and I prefer his McMillan "Bridges" edge stock.

Once Bridges left I began to order the stocks directly from him and have never looked back.

I'm also in the hard pass category.

For my next build, whenever the itch hits, will necessitate a call to Shaen.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Texasdude29
Some people like their work, but they are out for the buck in my opinion!

Agreed. Not a fan at all.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
At one point in time there were not a lot of accuracy gunsmiths that advertised heavily. Its a different world now, there are lots of them out there and they are priced below what HCR charges.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have a Genesis. Shoots under 1/2" with some handloads. Bedding is outstanding.
Very nice wood. Nothing to critic other than the price. IMO it and some of the competition is way over priced. BTW I traded for mine used.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (160user, 1minute, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 62 invisible), 3,304 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,963
Posts18,499,212
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.