-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This would probably get more traffic on the Kifaru forums, but oh well...

Besides the weight of the two frames, is there any real differences? They appear to pretty much be the same suspension, except the first Duplex model has a frame sheet?

I'm still on a quest for the perfect 6000" internal framed pack.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I'm no pack genius, but I've read that the Kifaru guys say the Bikini will do "90%" of the load and carrying that the duplex will. The bikini was designed as a stripped down duplex, hence the similarities.

If you have awkward loads, or extended, heavy hauls, then you'll want the duplex. If pack weight is your major concern, and you are doing general hunting and hauling (or want the newest and fanciest) then the bikini.

I'd also categorize both as external frames since the bags remove. Someone might correct me on that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If those are your two choices...My opinion from using different packs is that you want some type of frame sheet or crossbar for loads over 60 lbs. If you want to use your frame as a heavy load hauler then go duplex. If you never expect to use the frame without a bag then go Bikini. With that said I would still go duplex no matter what. Might be a bit heavier but it will do just about everything you need it to. You already know what pack I would recommend outside this conversation.

The Kifaru setups are not really "external frame" packs. Most refer to them as a "hybrid frame" and thats probably the correct term but they are definitely still internal frame packs by external design standards.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The comparison vid...

http://vimeo.com/56270240

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well... I'm actually thinking about selling my UL5200, and going the next one bigger, but with a duplex (just because it's cooler than a Timberline.) I don't forsee it seeing loads over 70 Lbs. Ever...

I'm thinking I need an external frame pack for that....

I'm Irish...

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've kicked tires for at least 6 years on the packs. My Kifaru envelope is finally almost full and ready to purchase. And with last years new additions, has only clouded the waters.

How is the Timberline Duplex NOT the perfect pack? Not being a prick, just asking your thoughts? I'm still torn, but the bikini not even on the radar. Am I missing something?

Weight savings with regular T1 hard to not look at, but I think the Duplex version really solves any problems and fills many a niche

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
There are tons of variety with the duplex. I can put a lot of different set ups as far as bags on the Duplex frame. Everything from Kifaru bags, to a light weight 10 oz. cordura day/meat bag; to a small WPS fanny daypack; to probably my favorite- the SG Solo bag.

Plus with just the cargo panel ( kifaru's) or the 7 oz with buckles Handipak from WPS- you have a dedicated meat hauler.

I have been a fan of modular set ups for years- from my external frame Boyscout days to the DD ext.; through the Dwight Schuh packs; to WPS frames and bags; to now the modern day modular offerings. And the funny think is a lot of those same bags can be swapped out easily.

The best yet that I have found overall as far as an external/hybrid for versatility is the duplex.

The bikini looks good and is probably fine, but I do not know yet whether it is as versatile as the duplex.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I don't forsee it seeing loads over 70 Lbs. Ever...

I would not go for the duplex then or any other Kifaru pack for that matter. Lots of good packs out there that will do what you need for less money. Also when you get up around the 6000 ci mark I want to have a 28" frame. One pound or less per 1000 ci is a good standard in the weight of the pack itself.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How tall is the frame on the Duplex? Compared to a NICE frame, it's a mile taller smile

I agree with the rest of your statement. But there is still slim odds that I'll kill a 180 class Muley with a recurve in September 6 miles in. If that happens, I don't want a granola and pachouli fueled backpack on me.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
There is this comparision over on Rokslide between a T2 and Highcamp bags.

Depending on fabrics there can be little gained in the Highcamp bag over the timberline once you start adding pockets to the Highcamp.

rokslide

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm pretty sure it's 26" tall, but I'll confirm when I get home. I vote duplex for the simple fact a fist full of money and various classifieds will turn up one much cheaper then new. I seriously doubt there's that much difference between them. Offer still stands to test drive my longhunter.

Best bet would probably be to buy some pos and haul it 6 miles into the middle of no where. Would surely shoot a big one then and have to figure out how to make it work. smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Brad,

Why do you thing I took my NICE 6500 this fall?? laugh

I'm Irish...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I will know a lot more about April 20 when my new Bikini and High Camp should be here but there are a few guys who have tried the bikini who don't work for kifaru and they all have said the bikini was more comfortable than their duplex frames with weight in it. The bikini is not just a lighter duty duplex but the next generation hauler. There may be a few things the duplex will still be better for but for the weight most of us can tote you will never get anywhere near the bikini's limits. Most of us will never pack over 100lbs much less find the limits of the bikini. I think Elkreaper has had over 180lbs in his prototype with no problem and he also is saying the bikini is more comfortable with a heavy load than a duplex.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,697 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,985
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.