Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on this handgun. Thanks Links99

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Horrible DA only trigger; you won't be doing much fine shooting with it. Low end gun & you get what you are paying for.

MM

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They do have a godawful trigger pull.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
yeah, trigger is not the greatest but mine has been 100% "go bang" when I pull it....not a bad pistola for less than 400 bucks.....mine lives in a dusty ole truck....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For what it is, a lightweight inexpensive but very serviceable gun I consider them a good value. Precision shooting? Double action only semi autos as a RULE are not the best suited for that role, they are last ditch defensive pieces only. For bulleye shooting or hunting lots better choices than even the BEST DAO autopistol. For a carry or truck gun, nothing at all wrong with the choice if it fits your hand and your wallet. I sure like the looks, feel and shape of them 1000 times better than that of a Glock.

So long as you have a gun and can and will use it when the time comes, this one does what it is supposed to do by all accounts. not everyone can afford a new Sig etc. or wants to carry a 3lb pistol around all the time.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My cousin bought one cheap brand new. He said that if he wasn't worried a kid would find it he would have thrown it in the trash can at the range.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wouldn't buy one unless I got a crazy deal on it, like ~$200. It's low tier. It's a .40. It's a compact.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Links99
I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on this handgun. Thanks Links99

When the Sigma�s came out, they had a number of problems; S&W basically screwed up. Right around 2004, S&W went back to the drawing board and corrected all of their manufacturing shortcomings on the Sigma. In 2005 S&W�s marketing company invited me to a torture test they were doing just outside of Oklahoma City where they put 10,000 rounds through the new Sigma .40 and 9mm pistols. I wasn�t able to attend, but I spoke to some who did and both pistols performed VERY well. Every one of the newer Sigma�s I�ve seen works and works perfectly. For what you pay, the Sigma is a VERY good pistol; probably the best value in a full sized auto these days. The trigger mechanism is just like all the other trigger cocking pistols out there, but the Sigma�s trigger pull seems to be a bit stiffer. Still, once you get used to it, the trigger pull is still better than most DA revolvers, so it�s not like it�s impossible to shoot one well; just takes a little practice.

S&W really got it right. I used to warn people away from the Sigma, now it�s at the top of my list for a low budget pistol. You may not get the nice sights, nice trigger pull, and the good lucks. But you certainly get all of the reliability of a top name pistol.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It's DA and not a striker gun? What?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
As an aside, some years back I attended an Armorer's course for the S&W M&P pistol. The Factory rep conducting the training that day told the class that they were selling S&W Sigmas to the Afghanistan police forces by the boatload. This was about 2007 or so.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
The Factory rep .....told the class that they were selling S&W Sigmas to the Afghanistan police forces by the boatload. This was about 2007 or so.

Laughin' here laugh and not surprised; they gotta sell them somewhere.

MM

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had one of the first Stigmas. Up to that point, I thought my Llama Omni was the worst gun I had ever owned. This was proven wrong in short order. Accuracy was terrible!, and it would occasionally simply decide not to fire. I was so proud of it at first, I got one of S&Ws newest designs, chambered in the newest caliber. I came out better than most on mine, I traded it before the values dropped out of sight, and recovered a little better than half of what I had in it. Some guys weren't so lucky. The dealer that traded me out of it still had it when he went out of business five years later. I knew a lot of guys who got stuck with them, and can never recommend Stigmas to anyone under any circumstances.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
interesting how the review of this pistol runs all the way from "great pistol for the money" to "sh*tcan it"....might have to do with early vs later models....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a later model and I have no complaints. Goes bang when you pull the trigger, which granted is not the best in world. For the price, it is hard to beat. A couple of my buddies have shot mine and went out and purchased their own afterwards. Once again, for the price, it is a very viable option.

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The newer ones do go "bang". I bought two 9mm's a few years back when the local place was running a special with a rebate. Got a pair of stainless guns with four 16-rnd magazines for about $575 plus tax. They ride in our cars. I don't like the triggers, but I can hit stuff with them.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have an earlier one that I bought used. Trigger is a little heavy, but it functions OK.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
It's DA and not a striker gun? What?
I didn't say it was a DA gun, it's a trigger cocking striker fired gun. I compare the trigger pull to a DA revolver, because there are some similarities.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
The Factory rep .....told the class that they were selling S&W Sigmas to the Afghanistan police forces by the boatload. This was about 2007 or so.

MM
I don't know what your experience with them is, but the ones made after 2005 are damn good guns for the money. If I were a cop, it's not what I would choose, but if I didn't have a choice, it wouldn't bother me; they work.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glock is ubiquitous, but in terms of quality a Glock or Sigma is all the same to me. Ditto for the S&W SD, Ruger SR, and a number of others.

Same same.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM
I don't know what your experience with them is, but the ones made after 2005 are damn good guns for the money. If I were a cop, it's not what I would choose, but if I didn't have a choice, it wouldn't bother me; they work.

My experience with them is shooting them; yes, they seem to go bang, & if I had no other possible choice, I'd use it too.

But, thankfully, I am not in that position so I don't have to use one.

Friend of mine has one, & while he's not a great shooter, he's also not the worst either.

We were at the range a while back & he was shooting his 9mm Sigma, which I have shot on several occasions, & a couple other things akin to Saturday Night Specials.......as I remember, a Kel-Tec & some small S&W 380, a Bodyguard I think.

At 25 feet, some of his shots were completely missing an 8.5x11" piece of paper with any and all 3 guns.

I had a Beretta 92 with me & I let him shoot it even though his hands are a bit small for it.......he emptied 2 clips into about 4-5" & said he felt better about his shooting than with the junk stuff.

I can shoot the Sigma somewhat acceptably, but only at a relatively slow rate of fire & would use it only for what I would consider center of mass shots & at rather short ranges..........the trigger is so bad it pretty much precludes double taps or a head shot at much more that point blank range, IMO.

So though I'd take one if that's all there was, I wouldn't CHOOSE to have one that I would want for defending myself.

One can easily buy a much better gun used for a comparable or maybe slightly higher price.

Piss poor guns may have their place, but I'll pass for now.

MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,005
Posts18,500,074
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.