-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only things I do left handed are eat, write, play ping pong, and shoot long guns. I do not own any left handed long guns. I rarely see them where I shop, plus I figure if I have to sell something it's easier to move right handed stuff. I am partial to ambidextrious stocks, not a fan of the cheek weld on my guns. I think that's why I so fond of the TC Icons and anything using a hogue stock.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I live in a house with my wife and two young daughters. Somehow, they are all lefties. What are the odds? Daughter #1 is now 8yrs and has always shot from the right shoulder, as her eye-test have always shown her to be right eye dominant. The wife is left handed and left-eyed, so she shoots from the left side and has to have her own bolt gun. The youngest daughter is not old enough yet to know, but I'm hoping she's right-eyed also, as it makes gun selection easier.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I, like like a good many here probably did, started out using right handed rifles, cuz that's what our dads, grandpa's, and uncles owned. Left handed guns, especially down here, were unheard of.
It was never a issue, cuz that's the way I learned, and became familiar with. In my late teens, early 20's, I purchased my first left handed bolt gun. Shot that for a few years, till a pre 64 featherweight in .270 crossed my path for $300.00. I made the switch back to a righty rifle, and have stuck with them for the past 35 years or so.
I've never worried about how fast I can cycle a bolt. Only critter I've been "charged" by was a VERY upset gray squirrel that I hit a tad high on with open sights and clipped his ear. Damn thing chased me about 30 yrds!

Right handed semi-auto shotguns have never been a issue at all. Only thing I've ever used. I can't think of a single time where I've ever noticed a empty shell that was ejected flying in front of my eyes.

Last edited by santeerangerman; 02/20/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All my bolts are right handed except one, and I have to think alot when I use it.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I only have left-handed bolt guns, no RH. Pump rifles & shotguns have LH safeties, as do levers that have safeties. Right-hand ejection doesn't bother me. I never seem conscious of the casings. Older Savage 99s are tough because of lever safety. Hard to work for me, especially with gloves. Too bad, as the 99 is my favorite lever gun. Used to feel left out as a lefty back 40 years or so. Things are much better now. Even have a LH option for bolt-action slug shotgun-Savage 220L. I have one ordered for my Maryland deer hunts. Most of my flintlocks are RH because when I started hunting in PA flint season that was what was available. Learned to ignore flash and now see no reason to switch. After all, we lefties are nothing if not adaptable!

Ron

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I sold my 99E to my brother because of the difficulty in reaching the safety. If I ever find a 99C, I will probably jump on it. The only right hand rifle i still own is a Mosin Nagant 91 that is a beater truck gun.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Hitch, if you really want a Savage 99 look for the 99-DL model. Made beginning in 1960. It has the rotary magazine and a tang safety. I just bought one last month in the Classifieds here at 24hr. Mine is a .308. It also has a great trigger. (At least mine does!)

Ron

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grew up shooting dad's rh bolt gun, specially the .22

moved to lever actions as a teen to hunt deer

at 18 I bought my first lh rifle, 700 BDL in 7 mag, figured it was the only rifle I'd ever need

and truthfully that's probably so, but it didn't stop me from buying 3 or 4 more of em

not a rifle loony, I'm a hunting loony, just need a few tools I can use comfortably and pretty well have all my bases covered at this point

though still tightens my jaw that I let a lh .375 H&H slip thru the cracks 20 odd years ago.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't even own a bolt-action rifle - (currently) ... but I've always felt comfortable working a bolt with my left hand, reaching across when shooting right-hand rifles.

Mostly, I love lever-actions, semi-autos, and Ruger #1s.

I have some pistols that may be considered left-hand friendly with 'ambi' features - but I don't pay any special mind to them as I use one hand to hang on to the gun and the other hand to manipulate the levers.

I do however have a matching pair of Six-Guns for two-handed shooting. One right-hand Vaquero and one left hand Vaquero.
When I find myself shooting way to the left and way to the right - I figure I've got the two mixed-up in the wrong hands.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1936M71, 160user, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,189
Posts18,503,386
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.