Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anything by Clive Cussler

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you got time to read, I got a paint brush, rake, rag, chainsaw or shovel that
will fit your hand.

Arbeit macht frei

- so says mrs slumlord

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No question about this one; the finest modern prose in the English language (IMHO) is the Aubrey/Maturin series of books by Patrick O'Brian. The uncompleted series runs for 20 books (O'Brian died part way through the 20th.) Excerpts of the series were assembled for the movie Master and Commander, which is also the title of the first book in the series.

I read the whole series once a year, and am doing so now. Even after several complete readings, I still find gems of prose that I missed before. Gems of vocabulary, too -- you almost need a good dictionary beside you as you read O'Brian. An example from yesterday: "He isn't a gremial friend..." Thoroughly delightful.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
In the catagory or millitary fiction, or perhaps millitary science fiction, the " Orphanage " series by Robert Buettner was really good, and I am also enjoying the " Confederation of Valor " series by Tanya Huff.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by slumlord
If you got time to read, I got a paint brush, rake, rag, chainsaw or shovel that
will fit your hand.

Arbeit macht frei

- so says mrs slumlord

I'd help you, but I have to be home in time to cook dinner for my wife, and the house has to be spic and span.

My favorite fiction is reading what the libs on here write as to how their compatriots are not going to try to take our guns away. sick

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've bought every book Clive Cussler has written. I pick a day when no one is around to bother me and I read them start to finish with minimal bathroom breaks. The man can weave a story.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Any of Heinlein's novels after he started targeting an adult audience.
But especially those featuring Lazerous Long and his progeny.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_Long

I identify strongly with the ethics and morals expressed in Heinlein's work. He focuses strongly on the benefits of self sufficiency and the evils of the overgrown state. I think he is the most anti-statist of popular authors of fiction.

More recently I have enjoyed the "Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind, and the very similar "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordon.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Spanish Bit Saga series by Dr. Don Coldsmith, as well as any of his other books that I've read so far. Dr. Don Coldsmith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Any of Heinlein's novels after he started targeting an adult audience.
But especially those featuring Lazerous Long and his progeny.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_Long

I identify strongly with the ethics and morals expressed in Heinlein's work. He focuses strongly on the benefits of self sufficiency and the evils of the overgrown state. I think he is the most anti-statist of popular authors of fiction.

More recently I have enjoyed the "Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind, and the very similar "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordon.

I might have to look into these books. I listened to Goodkind's "Law of Nines" on book radio and really enjoyed it.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The Ashes series by William W Johnstone is one of my favorites. I think I have read about every Louis Lamour book twice.

We fight not for glory,nor for wealth,nor honor but only and alone we fight for freedom which no good man surrenders but with his life.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep 'em coming, guys. I'm making a shopping list for my next library or book store visit. smile

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anything by Louis L'Amour

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Tony Hillerman series about the Navajo Police, W.E.B. Griffins Brotherhood of War series, Sandfords Prey novels and the Jack Ryan books by Clancy. I also liked the Elmer Kelton westerns as well as Louis L'Amore, especially the Sacketts.

I am now reading the stuff by Randy Wayne White about Doc Ford, he is a local writer from Sanibel Island and does real justice to the FL west coast.

Have read most of the Flynn novels as well as Brad Thor, then there are the Clive Cussler different series. Have read all of Stephen Hunters books starting with The Master Sniper. Pale Horse Coming remains my favorite by him.

Then there are the James Claval novels of Japan and the Mitchner books.

DAMM I LOVE TO READ!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I cant believe nobody has mentioned the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child.

also on my list are Louis Lamour and Stephen Hunter

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I'll second the Flashman books, by George McDonald Fraser, and add ...

The "Draka" novels, by S.M. Sterling. A WHOLE different thing compared to his "Dies The Fire" novels.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw the movie No Country for Old Men and enjoyed it so much I decided to read the book by Cormac McCarthy. I got into it but couldn't finish it, the writing just didn't attract me. Supposedly his other books are also good but I could never convince myself to try them. I don't know if the screen adaptation of No Country for Old Men was true to the book or if the screen writing improved on the book.

Two other of his books have also been or are going to be made into movies. Depending on what the story lines are I may try the movies when they come out.

Many of my favourite series have been mentioned here by other posters.

Jim

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
No question about this one; the finest modern prose in the English language (IMHO) is the Aubrey/Maturin series of books by Patrick O'Brian. The uncompleted series runs for 20 books (O'Brian died part way through the 20th.) Excerpts of the series were assembled for the movie Master and Commander, which is also the title of the first book in the series.

I read the whole series once a year, and am doing so now. Even after several complete readings, I still find gems of prose that I missed before. Gems of vocabulary, too -- you almost need a good dictionary beside you as you read O'Brian. An example from yesterday: "He isn't a gremial friend..." Thoroughly delightful.

That's what I love about the O'Brian books, you really do need a dictionary and perhaps some other reference books handy to read them. Surely you can read the story without the reference, but its just nice to know what all the "things" are. Whether it be deeply technical nautical references, or period correct medical terms and procedures, or just a period correct turn of phrase. The historical accuracy of his books just turns his books into a time machine and places you center stage during the early 19th century. I�m constantly referring to other books so I fully understand every detail. There�s a companion books that a gentleman wrote called �A Sea of Words� that is really cool and very helpful: http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Words-Third-Companion-Seafaring/dp/0805066152 It has really helped with the reading of O�Brian�s books. That series is just first rate beyond description�read it and it�s clear that some people are just operating on a much higher level than the rest of us.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Out of the silent planet series by C.S. Lewis. By far my most favorite series ever. And the second book in the series is my favorite book of all time. It is science fiction but man is it good.

God Bless,

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Mysteries - Dick Francis
Historical fiction - Bernard Cornwell
Science fiction/fantasy - Terry Brooks

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Over the years I have read all of the Clancy books, all of the Steven Hunter Swagger books, all of the Lee Child Reacher books,Most of the WEB Griffin series except the police series. I just finished a three book Nathan McBride series by Andrew Peterson which wasn't to bad. Currently reading Steven Hunter's most recent book, "the Third Bullet", and to be honest it's dragging a bit.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (204guy, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 36 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,336
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.