R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A big fan of Crieghton.

James Lee Burke novels featuring Detective Robicheaux
Wilber Smith easy read but entertaining

Alan Furst wrote a number of WWII spy novels that are very good

Martin Cruz Smith Arkady Renko Detective stories excellent!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best books:

1) Lonesome Dove
2) Lord of the Rings

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
David Drakes Hammers Slammers books are fun reads. Line of sight tank fire, into orbit.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Didn't read this whole thread but we listen to Stuart Woods/Stone Barrington series and Clive Cussler and the various series he puts out on audiobook format.

Also:
James Clavell (John Lee is excellent on reading audiobooks)
David Baldacci
Nelson DeMille
Nevada Barr
John Nichols trilogy
Patricia Cornwell
John Grisham
Tim Robbins
W.E.B. Griffin
Dale Brown
Michael Connelly
John Sanford
James Patterson
Jonathan Kellerman
Sue Grafton
Robert Parker
Dean Koontz
Robert Ludlum (previously mentioned)
Ton Clancy (previously mentioned)

And for those that have never read it or listened to it (easier on old eyes and fantastic for LONG road trips/Power Driving, we only do unabridged audiobooks) John Kennedy Toole: A Confederacy of Dunces) I realize that a lot of bookworms have read this but for those that have not, give it a try, it is nearly panty pissing funny humor. I usually keep 2 or 3 copies of this on hand and give them as gifts to folks that like to read and like to laugh.

Br e safe and give the gift of reading.
Patty

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would have to say Sherlock Holmes.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nobody has mentioned the author David Stone.
His main character Micha Dalton is one of the best CIA characters I've ever read.
I devoured every book Mr.Stone put out(4 books),and I'm kinda pissed he don't write faster.
Read them in order. And you'll enjoy them alot better.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Gordon R Dickson's Dorsai series.

Agreed. Simply the best military science fiction of all time. Anything by Gordon R. Dickson will usually not get put down until it's done.

The "Silmarillian" by Tolkien was excellent. Harry Turtledove's "Missplaced Legion" was good. An early subject for him but better than later works.

Grew up with ER Burroughs and liked his "Carson of Venus" and "John Carter" series the best.

Read almost any historical fiction I can get my hands on, be it from ancient times to turn of the century. If I recognize historical truths interlaced within...so much the better. Most of these authors have been mentioned in this thread allready...

It's nice being married to a librarian wink

bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out Lord Kalvin of Other World and Cabu.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out Neal Stephenson. Cryptonomicon is a great stand alone book and the Baroque series for fans of historical fiction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At one time I was a very prolific reader of sci-fi and the one of the most memorable series I've ever read was Hyperion by Dan Simmons. I haven't the last two novels but the first two were outstanding.

Here's an exert from Wikipedia ...

Of the four novels, Hyperion received the Hugo and Locus Awards in 1990;[6] The Fall of Hyperion won the Locus and British Science Fiction Association Awards in 1991;[7] and The Rise of Endymion received the Locus Award in 1998.[8] All four novels were also nominated for various science fiction awards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Cantos

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for James Clavell's Asian series. I am reading Gai Jin now and I have Whirlwind yet to read. Shogun, Tai Pan and Noble house are my favorites.
Big fan of L'Amour.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
big fan of Cussler's Dirk Pitt character, but my favorite series is Jack Whytes Camulod series, if you like King Arthur without the majic and dragons pick him up....series starts with Arthurs great grandfather and great uncle i believe staying behind when the Romeans pulled out of England and follows the story for several generations.....read the whole 8 book series in 3 months, once i started i couldnt stop....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
I read a lot of Hunting/Africa/Rifle Books. This is about 1/2 my collection

[Linked Image]

i recognize a whole lot of those books from my shelves....and see some i havent gotten my hands on yet....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I really enjoyed all of the following series at one point. No particular order.

John Sandford's "Prey" series (including the virgil flowers offshoot as well as the Night Crew)

Lee Child's "Reacher" books

Brad Thor's series w/ Scott Harvath

Vince Flynn's series w/ Mitch Rapp

Stephen Hunter series w/ Swagger(s)
( I think these got me back into reading fiction after a very long time away. I ate them up.)

I also liked the "Dragon Tattoo" series.

More recently I thought the first book of the Hunger Games Series was good. the 1st book was fun because it was different and a neat premise. By the 3rd book it got downright horrible though.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Great thread. A quick scan of a few pages and I have a reading list for 2 years!

I'm going to go for some Africa/hunting themes next. (Been on the CIA/FBI/rogue ex-cop kick for a while and I am told my tin-foil hat collection is getting a bit excessive.)

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by mog75
Anything from Pat McManus.

I gobbled that guy's stuff up as a kid!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
As a young nerd science fiction was my main read.
... I tried reading some science fiction or fantasy a few years ago and it was pathetic. Juvenile and hackneyed, it read more like a bad soap opera than the speculative fiction of earlier decades. One dimensional characters were the norm.

Jim, in the early days, science fiction was written by men who were actually ... you know ... scientists.

Now a lot of it (most of it, really) is written by all those kids who grew up reading it, but instead of becoming scientists, they became science fiction writers.

At this point I am sure everyone has read everything from M Crichton, but if not, he is definitely an exception to the above. He's a huge name in the buis, and imo deserves every bit of it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I understand some of the S&S can be pretty good, apparently Game of Thrones is a good line, but I'm just not into dragons and witchcraft and such.

The supernatural stuff in the Game of Thrones books is a very, very small part of those stories. (The series is actually called "A Song of Fire and Ice". "Game of Thrones" is merely the first book.) The vast majority of what makes those books so good has nothing to do with any S&S fantasy elements. It's just great story telling with fantastic characters written on a decidedly more realistic and adult level than anything else in this genre. Ninety percent of those books are just about various powerful families and the brutal and very violent struggle over who will rule the land.

The character of Tyrion Lannister (a midget member of the powerful Lannister family) is one of the best characters ever created in any series of books. He is also played superbly by Peter Dinklage on the television adaptation. Click below for an example.

Now that was a threat

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Todd_Bradford
I understand some of the S&S can be pretty good, apparently Game of Thrones is a good line, but I'm just not into dragons and witchcraft and such.

The supernatural stuff in the Game of Thrones books is a very, very small part of those stories. (The series is actually called "A Song of Fire and Ice". "Game of Thrones" is merely the first book.) The vast majority of what makes those books so good has nothing to do with any S&S fantasy elements. It's just great story telling with fantastic characters written on a decidedly more realistic and adult level than anything else in this genre. Ninety percent of those books are just about various powerful families and the brutal and very violent struggle over who will rule the land.

The character of Tyrion Lannister (a midget member of the powerful Lannister family) is one of the best characters ever created in any series of books. He is also played superbly by Peter Dinklage on the television adaptation. Click below for an example.

Now that was a threat

Well stated Todd, and I agree completely about Game of Thrones.

I just started Clash of Kings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Game_of_Thrones

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, I don't get HBO but have heard from others that Game of Thrones was a very good series. Will have to go out and rent the first season on DVD.

But not tonight, a new episode of the Walking Dead is on. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 02bfishn, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 16,427 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,204
Posts18,543,622
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.