Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by batch
In these posts I've not seen mention of the Colt Lawman Mk 3. I may have just missed it, though. A good friend in Colorado had one and he loved it. The grips didn't fit me well but the revolver was accurate, in his hands. How do they compare to to the other Colts? It seems to me that they should be directly comparable in quality but perhaps less time spent on polish.

They are completely different than the older Colts. DFariswheel is a Colt expert on the Colt Forum. He explains it better than I ever could. What follows is his explanation.

"The big difference is, the Trooper Mark III was the world's first revolver designed to be "machine fitted".
That is, the parts were made to very close tolerances and the revolver was assembled by pulling parts from a bin until a fit was achieved.

The Python is a product of two centuries ago.
The direct ancestor of the Python was designed in the late 1890's and perfected in 1908.

The Python is manufactured by making parts over-sized. A Master fitter assembles the parts by carefully stoning and filing until a perfect fit is achieved.
This requires a LOT of time by the most highly paid workers Colt has, and this level of hand labor and finishing accounts for the Python's high price.

The Trooper Mark III, and it's later versions, the Trooper Mark V and King Cobra have nothing in common with the Python, being totally different designs.
While the Trooper Mark III has a modern transfer bar ignition, (Colt developed the first modern transfer bar system, which virtually every revolver maker in the world has copied) the Python has the older type revolver system of hammer block safeties.

The Python has the only "bank vault" lock up ever used in which the cylinder is tightly locked in PERFECT alignment with the bore at the instant of ignition.
This insures the bullet enters the bore with no deformation, and along with the Python's tapered bore accounts for the Python's reputation for the best consistent accuracy of the double action revolvers.
The down side is the cost of the revolver, and that the action MUST be in absolutely perfect adjustment to work at all.

The Trooper Mark III uses the modern system in which the cylinder is NOT tightly locked at ignition.
This allows the cylinder to align itself with the bore.
While this costs less money to build, the bullet doesn't enter the bore perfectly, and is distorted, degrading accuracy slightly.
The action is cheaper to make, but accuracy isn't what it could be.

The basic difference is, the Trooper Mark III is a modern, super-strong revolver made for the mass market.
The Python is a relic of another age, like a Rolls Royce. It's essentially an true custom-built, hand fitted and hand finished revolver.

The Python is like Lamborgini sports car. It's expensive, and you have to treat it like the expensive speciality item it is.
You can't treat it like a cheap pickup truck, and batter it to death by mistreating it.

If you want a good shooter revolver that's at least 1/2 a step above other brands of revolvers, and want a real tank of a hand gun, the Trooper Mark III is it.

If you want, and can afford the finest hand made production revolver in the world, the Python fills the bill."

Last edited by ColKlink; 03/10/13.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColKlink
DFariswheel is a Colt expert

Thanks for posting that. I am a fan of his and a fan of Colts, but I had missed that write up.
It explains a lot about the frustration I have with new revolvers.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was researching to buy a Smith M15 when I came across a discussion of Colt DA. In the discussion dfariswheel was describing Colt DA function, including tightness, accuracy, timing, and so forth. It sounded interesting, so I took a list of his timing checks to a local gun shop. Surprising me, I found one in perfect time - I had assumed from all I'd read that all Colt's Detective Special would be out of time and non-functional. It fit me well and was in good shape so I bought it.

One unexpected benefit came as I showed my new purchase to my wife. She said, "You're not selling that one. If you don't want it, I'll take it."

There's a lot to be said these days for the cheap entertainment of shooting - and not having to chase brass.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jaywalker; 03/10/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jaywalker
Surprising me, I found one in perfect time - I had assumed from all I'd read that all Colt's Detective Special would be out of time and non-functional.

I've heard and read that too and after having bought and sold a bunch of Colt revolvers over the years and having looked over many, many more I've only seen a few that were out of time and those had been abused/shot to hell. The myth that Colt revolvers are fragile is just that, a myth. Nice Det. Special, you'll love it, they are great guns.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by boatboy
BTW also
Smith doesnt have a lot to apologize about with their autos
IMHO
Hank

The 39 was a great pistol, but the 59 was an abomination in my opinion. Many of the first generation S&W autos got the reputation of being Jam-A-Matics, but I have to say, I�ve never had a malfunction of any kind with a model 39. I have experienced malfunctions with the 59 but that was over 25 years ago and I couldn�t begin to tell you what the problems were. The ergonomics of the 59 were just horrible though and it was aesthetically hideous. Whereas the 39 was a rather good looking pistol with truly outstanding ergonomics.

Still, the 59 couldn�t have been all bad. The SEAL�s used a number of 39�s and 59�s during Vietnam with and without a suppressor. If they were as bad as everyone said they were, I doubt the SEALs would have even given them consideration.

S&W�s 3rd generation guns were just awesome. Had S&W had the 3rd gen guns ready for the US pistol trials, our soldiers could have been carrying S&W�s instead of Berettas. 3rd gen guns were superbly engineered and manufactured. Back when I worked at an indoor range we thought of them as the Energizer Bunny. When the Beretta�s and Sigs were broken from too many rounds, the S&W was just getting warmed up; they were just brute strong and over-engineered. And we noticed when you did managed to crack the frame on the S&W�s, often it was in a place that really wasn�t critical, so you just keep shooting them.

It was a sad day when S&W dropped the last of the 3rd gen guns, but times have changed and the future is in polymer guns whether we like it or not.

The M-39 was my first semi auto larger than a 22 LR. I didn't care for it, sold it replacing with a 1911 and never looked back

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I have 2 colts, 1 is an 8 inch Andaconda, the other is a 6 inch King Cobra. I had a 4 inch version, I also had a 6 inch mark 3. Love em.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (007FJ, 160user, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 219DW, 64 invisible), 2,936 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,222
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.