Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great write-up and comparison.

Thanks for taking the time Joe.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Any reason one couldn't replace the two position safe with a Gentry 3 position M-70 safety?

I'm so used to the M70 safety.....

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
It's the lure of a light rifle at an affordable price. Real world prices of a Forbes in any configuration should max out at $1500. You won't get a complete rifle from Eddie or Kampfeld for that kind of money -- nor should you. Two peas in different pods. A full blown custom versus a production gun....

That's right!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thx for the report BW, I look forward to getting my paws on one as well. I kind of anticipate that I'll like the balance no sure about the grip as it appears sort of closed for my preference. Though when I shot JB's NULA/06 I really liked it and shot it well.

Have you shot it any more?

Glad to see you weighing the bolts. I've done that a few times and far as I know you're the only other fella I've known who's comp'd the two.

Keep us in the loop. Is there an x-tra low made for rings?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Did I read correctly forbes is considering a 338 Lapua ? Better hold onto that one or you will be picking it up after every shot !

Last edited by Aviator; 03/10/13.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great write up! I cant see anything bad with another choice in the factory light rifle market.The groups to me seem very good for taking a new rifle throwing together 2 loads and ending up with those 2 groups.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice write-up! I'm not sure I could stand the grip, if it's as similar to the NULA rifle grips as I think it is.

Other than that, which is just personal preference, it looks like Mr. Forbes has a winner on his hands!

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
BW, as others have said, thanks for taking the time for the great write up.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I really enjoyed this writeup. I have one just like this one, same scope, weighs exactly the same too. I just got back from the range this morning. I just picked a couple loads out of the Nosler manual and shot them today. One group with 200 NP and R-22 was 5/8", one was 1.25". 180 NP went a little under an inch for a couple groups. These were just random loads with nothing special done. I think it will shoot pretty good. The gun didn't feed from the magazine very well, but I smoothed out some rough spots and it's working much better. Scheel's had these on sale for $1200. I think it's worth it.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by crittergetter
None of the Forbes rifles interest me at all.I just don't see all of the so called hype for these rifles.I'd much rather have a rifle custom built for me by Kampfeld Custom or Eddie F.

Ok....?

So you can spend more money wait longer and get a rifle that's made up of parts you personally choose?

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks for the write up. Sounds like a nice well made light weight rifle.

Is it too soon to order the 1-8" twist stainless 22-250?.....grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Any reason one couldn't replace the two position safe with a Gentry 3 position M-70 safety?

Good question. The way the Timney trigger works I'm not sure.

The only thing I really don't like about the Forbes is the Timney Trigger and slot cut in the stock to accommodate it ala 700...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The stainless barrel/alloy receiver models seem a little strange. I would think most folks wanting stainless would go all stainless. I guess we'll see how well they sell.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
You know people, I'm only writing what I observed, weighed and measured. I'm not a spokesman for anyone. Just thought I'd do a little extra for a rifle that has a little bit of interest here. There is nothing to say an occasional Forbes could be a rodeo like a Kimber. They are rifles in a $1200 to $1400 price point that have some specialty features. They are not full blown customs at $4 on up! No one forced me nor will they force you to buy something. If a Tikka in the $500's suit you, great! I have a couple too.

It is not surprising that it only took to page 2 for the first detractors to show up. If you like heavywights - all the best to you.

Rifles like the Kimber Montana, Forbes 24B, Weatherby Ultra Lightweights, Remington Ti's and the like are speciality items.
They serve a niche need whereby some of us pursue a particular weight class.

I am happy we have all the options we do have! We all realize there is a battle raging over the 2A that would limit our access to the options we all prefer.

I purposely shot 4 shots to show as a "group" as some get snooty over 3's. Now I see two groups wasn't enough. There are more coming as time and weather permit. Its obvious that nothing will please everyone so I'll not even try.

Meantime, don't forget to email or call your local politicians and let them know what you think.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd guess the stainless barrel option is a result of the high demand for a stainless gun that they didn't anticipate. With barrels coming from Shaw, they were able to supply stainless barrels right now, but getting a stainless action into the mix will take a little longer - like next year.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Good question. The way the Timney trigger works I'm not sure.

The only thing I really don't like about the Forbes is the Timney Trigger and slot cut in the stock to accommodate it ala 700...

There was some indication (I forget now who told me) that Titan Machine may eventually come out with their own safety version. No indication as to what it may be. I'm sure its a cost consideration over buying Timneys - even in some volume.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by djpepper
I'd guess the stainless barrel option is a result of the high demand for a stainless gun that they didn't anticipate. With barrels coming from Shaw, they were able to supply stainless barrels right now, but getting a stainless action into the mix will take a little longer - like next year.

I hear ya. Maybe something they will phase out after the all stainless are available.
If I decide to buy a Forbes Rifle I'll wait for all stainless. One all SS 270 please!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'd be happy to have a stainless barrel and cm action. Sounds like a great rifle as long as the chamberings offered works for the person doing the buying.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Nice write-up! I'm not sure I could stand the grip, if it's as similar to the NULA rifle grips as I think it is.

Other than that, which is just personal preference, it looks like Mr. Forbes has a winner on his hands!

prairie,

The stock for the Forbes is made by Melvin. They are the same dimensions as are on his own. So yes, the grip is identical.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Thx for the report BW, I look forward to getting my paws on one as well. I kind of anticipate that I'll like the balance no sure about the grip as it appears sort of closed for my preference. Though when I shot JB's NULA/06 I really liked it and shot it well.

Have you shot it any more?

Glad to see you weighing the bolts. I've done that a few times and far as I know you're the only other fella I've known who's comp'd the two.

Keep us in the loop. Is there an x-tra low made for rings?

Thx
Dober

Dober,
The "low" version is what came as standard. I don't know if Titan makes an "extra low". Next time I call, I'll ask. Titan makes the Talley themselves as I confirmed this talking to Gary at Talley. As I wrote above, Talley makes a picatinny rail and their steel QD for the Forbes.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (222ND, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 71 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,515
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.