Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 700LH
Placement is what counts
So if I shoot you with a dry pea from a drinking straw, and I hit you directly on your temple or over your heart, that would end the fight? grin

Not if shooting a pea brain, no it wouldn't matter

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 700LH
Placement is what counts
So if I shoot you with a dry pea from a drinking straw, and I hit you directly on your temple or over your heart, that would end the fight? grin
Back when we were kids my brother dropped like a rock when he took a BB fired from a Red Ryder square between the eyes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BarryC
A handgun is a weak sister to a rifle. You can get penetration with a pistol, but you don't get penetration coupled with the secondary projectiles like you do with a rifle.

It can take time for something to lose consciousness just from bleeding, but when major parts of the nervous system are destroyed by being mashed or severed, it's a totally different story.

If you don't get penetration with a pistol, you have nothing.

On your correct point about "penetration..." this is why the "frangible" bullets from companies like Glaser Safety Slugs are not as effective as the hard cast bullets TRH has been touting from Buffalo Bore. The frangibles don't give you the penetration to vital organs you need.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, I am trying to reload some SD rounds and want decent ammo

Reload, not $30 a box specialty ammo. That ammo is made with non canister powder, try to make that on your bench.

Impressive though, but is an exception to the rule. The round would have the full diameter meplat which is a good thing, getting it in deep enough is the hard part

Last edited by Armednfree; 03/10/13.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go big or stay home wink

The beatings will continue until morale improves
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by captbutch
Go big or stay home wink

Tough to CCW the BFH 30-30. So she has to go smaller.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Bump for Mr. Lee

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just my 2 cents worth.

My experience is that 148 grain full wadcutters over 3.5 grains of Bullseye and Small Pistol primer for about 875 fps out of a 2" barrel and 158 grain hardcast RNFP over the same charge & primer for 800-825 FPS with a wide meplat like used in Cowboy Action shooting poke a big deep hole at moderate controllable velocities if that is of any interest.

I believe these to be quite adequate for serious social interaction at close quarters.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Thanks for the Two Cents.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having read the whole thread I think y'all have convinced me to rethink the ammo in my LCR. I keep Remmy Golden Saber 125gr brass jacketed HP's in it. Wad cutters? Probably do as well as a HP that didn't expand. grin

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by shreck
Having read the whole thread I think y'all have convinced me to rethink the ammo in my LCR. I keep Remmy Golden Saber 125gr brass jacketed HP's in it. Wad cutters? Probably do as well as a HP that didn't expand. grin
Better, even.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
As the OP, let me just say THANKS for the info. Seems to me a great of you agree on the 158 gr SWC or the 148gr WC, both pushed to around 800+ fps.

I can load that up!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thread needs more pics smile

[Linked Image]

158-grain hardcast over 4.7 grains of Unique. These should fall out of the barrel somewhere close to 800 fps out of my tattered but tight 4" Model 15.

Do their meplats seem adequate for a SD .38 Spl load? Was planning on only using them for rabbits and rocks, but this thread got me wondering...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My carry .38 & .357 loads.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Blackheart
All I know is 148 gr wadcutters out of a snubbie don't stop a big, pissed off raccoon worth spit. I wouldn't feel well armed with that combo.

Like anything else, shot placement....

I"ve killed quite a few deer,pigs,javelinas wiht the mundane and very mild 32-30. One doe with a cowboy load in it on top of that. Probably 700 fps at the MOST....
Four of those 148 gr wadcutters hit center mass on that coon and traversed the chest cavity. It didn't stop until the fifth shot penetrated the brain pan. I guess it can be tough to place shots precisely on a slobbering, rabid coon bent on ripping your leg off. It wasn't me doing the shooting but a lifelong best friend and yes I believe his account of the incident. He had carried that .38 spl. Colt snubbie stuffed with those wadcutter loads for years but switched to a .357 loaded with full power 125 gr. HP's immediately thereafter.

In that instance in the coon, I"d expect the same results until you hit CNS.

As we've noted, pistols are not rifles, and stopping power is not a huge available asset with them generally.

I've shot quite a few deer and hogs with both 230 and 185 expanding 45 acp rounds. And I've shot a handful of each with 158 JHP in 357 8 inch barrel. I"ve yet to drop one on the spot or even have a relatively "quick" death from them unless I"ve chosen to head shoot them.

So the coon would have died, you indicated not quickly and thats what I'd believe from an amped up one. But then I"ve shot enough of them in the lungs with standard 22 LR to know a non amped up one generally doesn't go far or long with a hole in the lungs.

As noted, and its and old statement but true, a pistol is to fight your way back to something worthwhile...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a good stock of the older S&W ammo in 148 wadcutter. I have been using this as a carry load in my airweight. I chronod it at 700fps.
Is this adaquate or do I need to look for another load? After reading this thread im wondering if its moving fast enough....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Heavy clothing would be your enemy with that load. In tee shirt weather it is "adequate" IMHO.

Old cat turd!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,528
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.