Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Here is some very interesting stuff from KUIU. A great way to save weight. Kind of mind boggling that four pounds can be saved. That's a lot.

Please open this link.

http://blog.kuiu.com/2013/03/06/4-pounds-the-toray-advantage/

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Four pounds less compared to what? Sitka? That is if you buy the whole clothing line and use nothing else. Thats a lot of cash and may not be any lighter(or better) than putting togather your own clothing system. Its silly because there are so many ways and brands you can put togather theres no way to get a base line to say it will save you 4 pounds. Not really a great way to save weight, I think you can put something togather for far less money. I don't want to end up looking like a Kuiu runway model...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Four pounds less compared to what? Sitka?

Yes, the attempt was to compare comparable lines of clothing.

Thats a lot of cash and may not be any lighter(or better) than putting togather your own clothing system. Its silly because there are so many ways and brands you can put togather... I think you can put something togather for far less money.

What would you put together and what does it weigh and cost?

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Say what you will, I love mine and it's tested and proven. About to buy quite a bit more for this season.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
KUIU is great gear. Don't knock it until you try it.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Big_W
Four pounds less compared to what? Sitka? That is if you buy the whole clothing line and use nothing else. Thats a lot of cash and may not be any lighter(or better) than putting togather your own clothing system. Its silly because there are so many ways and brands you can put togather theres no way to get a base line to say it will save you 4 pounds. Not really a great way to save weight, I think you can put something togather for far less money. I don't want to end up looking like a Kuiu runway model...

The recent developments in highly specialized clothing/gear intended only for "backpack" hunting are fine, if, that is what you enjoy and thus prefer. They are costly, can be a bit too specialized for many hunting situations and many hunters and those who use them are just a certain demographic sector of the larger overall hunting population of North America.

However, I am with "Big W" on this and I still wear stuff that has worked for me all over BC since I bought it in the 1980s. For most BC uses, I like the plain, old, average Cabela's "Micro-Tex" in their proprietary "Outfitter" pattern and I usually hunt in Filson's green whipcords, Idebreaker earth coloured merino tops, MEC merino over top and, when necessary a "garbage bag" green Integral Designs pullover event shell. I have two MEC synthetic vests in this colour, bought on sale and they work VERY well over a wide range of conditions.

I started in Canadian Army battledress and almost all of us in the '50s, '60s and on to the '80s wore this to work and hunt in BC in any cooler weather. It worked then and would now as did the Swedish and West German woolen trousers so many of us bought from about 1980 to the late '90s.

It is kinda like the old "best" debates concerning sleeping bags, tents and so much of our other gear.....the fact is that BEST really does not exist as it is really all about what works for a given individual in their circumstances.

Fortunately, I am too old, fat, ugly and generally a miserable old geezer to ever worry about anyone mistaking me for a "model"........

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by kutenay
It is kinda like the old "best" debates concerning sleeping bags, tents and so much of our other gear.....the fact is that BEST really does not exist as it is really all about what works for a given individual in their circumstances.

That sums it up. What works for me may not work best for you and the same is true the other way around. If you are happy with something, wear it. I swear by Kuiu gear, but it's because I've worn it in some pretty shifty situations and it's held strong and kept me warm, dry, and alive. I can hang my hat on that.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you hunt ANY type of mountainous terrain, KUIU has no equal. My .02

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Chris68

Hmmm... please elaborate how this could possibly be true.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Waterproof-check
Windproof-check
Lightweight-check
Breathability-check
Tested and proved in Alaska-CHECK, need anymore?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Waterproof-check
Windproof-check
Lightweight-check
Breathability-check

So is a lot of other gear.

Don't get me wrong Kuiu makes some great stuff as well as some stuff I don't care for. But far from having no equal...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Waterproof-check
Windproof-check
Lightweight-check
Breathability-check

And all that adds up to "no equal"?

So yeah, I'd need more to back up the claim of "no equal."

All those below have been around far longer doing it very well. Kuiu has done a good job borrowing their designs and repackaging the same thing, though poor copies in some instances...

Outdoor Research
Mountain Hardwear
Marmot
Arcteryx
Patagonia
Rab
etc.
etc.
etc...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Stick around here awhile and you'll learn there are people on here with lifetimes of experience and that in some pretty extreme conditions. God gave us two ears and one mouth. Perhaps He intended us to LISTEN at least twice as much as we talk. wink

There's lots to learn on here.

The first lesson is is there is NO gear that has no equal. Some things work for some, for others not.

edit: And yes, I own a couple pieces of Kuiu. Good gear, maybe even great gear, functional, grossly overpriced, made in China.(actually what I have is pre-China production) Has no equal? Hardly.

Last edited by snubbie; 03/12/13.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
KUIU grossly overpriced?

Have you seen the prices for Arc'teryx gear?

I consider $625.00 for a jacket to be grossly overpriced. Somewhere I saw mittens for $200.00 as well as gloves.

I have found KUIU gear to be pretty competitive price wise and now own two pieces of KUIU stuff and am very pleased with them and plan on getting more.

My Westcomb Cruiser LT rain gear ran $250.00 and $200.00, which was on sale. Looking up on the website they retail for $380.00 and $250.00. I might add that I hate the Cruiser LT pants, no lower leg zippers, I have to take my boots off and on to get the pants on or off.

These two pieces will be replaced with Chugach rain coat and pants when the time comes.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Westcomb gear is outstanding in quality of manufacture and the APOC shell I have been wearing in BC winter weather since last Sept. is the best of the many highend shells I have worn since the 1960s.

It is pouring cold, wind-driven rain at the moment here in Vancouver and I will be off for my daily training walk of 3 miles, measured, wearing this garment. I also have Integral Designs, Jack Wolfskin, MEC shells and have had Early Winters, Marmot, Synergy Works, Blacks of Greenock and some others and used these in BC while working out in wilderness weather, Westcomb is the best so far.

The Cruiser pants zipper issue is personal preference, I dislike these and have them removed from my G/T and eVent shell pants, each to his/her own. However, the quality of Westcomb is second to none and better than Arcteryx, which I have never cared for.

If, someone prefers Kuiu, great, but, it is NOT better than many other brands and personal preferences as well as usage is an important aspect of these choices. Some, for example, like G/T footwear, I loathe it and after using it.

Right now, for BC-AK-YT-NWT-AB conditions, based on having been in these locales, I would choose two shells, one of Ventile for very cold conditions and one of Neoshell, preferably by Westcomb. Those two would do it all.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Well, I will just keep killing sheep and goats in this ole chitty KUIU gear. I own alot of the high end gear mentioned above, but will use the KUIU every time I go. I work outside in AK year-round, so I KNOW what works and what don't. I hike and snowshoe the Chugach Mtns. year-round also. So, for ME, I will use the KUIU. But, what do I know, Im only 44 yrs old and been hunting in AK since I was 8.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
My dad can beat up your dad...unless your dad is logcutter of course.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
laffin'. Peace, bro. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by iddave
My dad can beat up your dad...unless your dad is logcutter of course.

Dave

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunter_241
KUIU grossly overpriced?

Have you seen the prices for Arc'teryx gear?

I consider $625.00 for a jacket to be grossly overpriced. Somewhere I saw mittens for $200.00 as well as gloves.

I have found KUIU gear to be pretty competitive price wise and now own two pieces of KUIU stuff and am very pleased with them and plan on getting more.

My Westcomb Cruiser LT rain gear ran $250.00 and $200.00, which was on sale. Looking up on the website they retail for $380.00 and $250.00. I might add that I hate the Cruiser LT pants, no lower leg zippers, I have to take my boots off and on to get the pants on or off.

These two pieces will be replaced with Chugach rain coat and pants when the time comes.

Okay, I WILL concede I'm pretty cheap. laugh

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,257
Posts18,486,360
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.