Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Where do you work? Birmingham? Are you a Hawk guy?

laugh Complicated question!

I was a Hawk guy (my baby boy is named Gunner Hawke for a reason). I was medically retired back in 2007. I work in Huntsville, AL now. My job now has little to nothing to do with blackhawks, per se. My job is analyzing Army aviation resources and streamlining programs.

I met Travis at another job where we were fielding an automated logbook program to Army Aviation Units called ULLS-A(E).

I know ULLS-A(E) but surely not as well as you do. I worked on Hawks for three years in the big sand box.

Ah, then you know the company that Travis and I worked for. It was initially called Westar but was bought out by it's parent company QinetiQ. Travis and I were on the teams that fielded ULLS-A(E) and then we each worked as support in theater for those units. He is still working with the company but on a different project. I moved on to another company.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
To answer the OP's questions about Handguns and survival. You don't make aviation in any branch without having high ASVAB scores. Your GT score has to be over 110 in the Army, I can't speak to the other branches. Mine was 127.

Mine was 147, and I wasn't an aviator. I did take off in aircraft alot, but never hung around long enough to land.

We basically got the same score. When I took the test the highest your GT could possibly be was 130. It was changed to max out at 150 shortly after.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
How long was your basic rifleman training before MOS training? Mine was 9 weeks in the Army. I'd say that both the Army and the Marines make the point that we are riflemen first, MOS second. I can't speak to the other branches.

To clarify, my comment about the choice of not being captured is taken in that light. Make no mistake, I'd fight until I was dead. Surrender is not an option. The fact that surrender is not an option is why I said what I said. Either kill them, make them kill me, or fight until I can't. When it get's to that point, that last bullet ensures that surrender (willingly or unwillingly) doesn't happen.

Like I said, the enemy our guys face in Afghanistan do not keep prisoners. They make examples and no way in hell are my kids going to see their dad having his head sawed off under the knee of those scum.

I lost several very good friend in Iraq. One (David Coullard Sgt)was KIA with 6 other members of his STA Platoon. Another (Dexter Kimble SSGT) was killed in the CH-53 crash that killed 34 in Iraq.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=HugAJackass] I'd love one day to sit and converse with you. I'm sure this guy would learn a lot from your experiences. smile[quote]

Would be great to meet but all you'd hear were war stories from an old flyin dinosaur. grin

Last edited by FlyboyFlem; 03/11/13.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember that crash. I never doubted good men were lost in that one.

You may remember the two hawks that crashed into each other and lost 30 guys in November of 2003. Those were my guys...

We've all lost some good men.

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
[quote=HugAJackass] I'd love one day to sit and converse with you. I'm sure this guy would learn a lot from your experiences. smile

Would be great to meet but all you'd hear were war stories from an old flyin dinosaur. grin

Them's the best kind! laugh

Turdlike, by default.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
2003 I was working in Al Asad Iraq so besides what happened in or around there I didn't hear much news.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Kimble Was a fresh Boot in my squadron in Hawaii. Then shortly after he arrived I was transferred to Tustin CA. Then about a year later who shows up at my squadron in Tustin? Kimble, he was a good guy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2003 I was working in Al Asad Iraq so besides what happened in or around there I didn't hear much news.

HA! I worked at Al Asad as an ULLS-A(E) Contractor in 2009. They still had the hulls of destroyed Iraqi aircraft on the flightline. I lived on Tower Rd in Tripoli Villiage directly across from the Tower.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kimble Was a fresh Boot in my squadron in Hawaii. Then shortly after he arrived I was transferred to Tustin CA. Then about a year later who shows up at my squadron in Tustin? Kimble, he was a good guy.

Sorry for your loss, man. I don't know why it is, but those brothers in arms that we lose stay with us more than anybody else.

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I cut out the Iraqi flag from the tail section of one of the fusalage's up there. Use to ride all around the base on a Royal Enfield Bullet 500 I bought at the stadium from a hiji. Where you lived when I was there was open space. They were just starting the chowhall down the hill. I heard it burned down shortly after opening.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, it was all new stuff when I moved in, and the base had been built up quite a bit. The MCX was huge and the Olympic sized pools were a welcomed thing. I quite enjoyed Al Asad.

Turdlike, by default.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sorry forgot to answer your question about combat training. I was I believe the third or fourth class to go thru MCT (Marine Combat Training) basically a dumbed down version of SOI (School of Infantry. It was 30 days long and you went after bootcamp and before A School. At that time even if you were an Infantry MOS you still went to MCT which made no sense and didn't last long.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Depending on when and where Take a knee was stationed or deployed I may have sent him on his way either out the hell hole or off the ramp a time or two.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 03/11/13.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know a little about Marine aviation,my Son in laws' old outfit.Got a guided tour out at Miramar before he shipped out as they were rotating to the sandbox every 6-8 months. grin

[Linked Image]

Woody
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a few buddies that were in 465 but that was back when they were in Tustin. When was your son in law with them? I worked for them a little in Al Asad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've gotta say it again...

Those 53's are MONSTERS!

Turdlike, by default.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wait till they unvail the Kilo model!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stressing my thinking cap but I believe it was 2006. That was at Al Asad also.

Last edited by FlyboyFlem; 03/11/13.

Woody
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I left Al Asad in 2004. What did he do?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (2ndwind, 3040Krag, 270cowboy, 358WCF, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 52 invisible), 1,655 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,021
Posts18,520,787
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.