Print Thread
Hop To
D
dell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I'm wondering what type of performance has been seen on game, with the savage calibers,and silvertips. I haven't shot a deer with one of these. A coworker really liked them in his 270. Said the combo killed a deer deader than any ought six ever could. I picked up a box of older Western 303 silvertips. And two boxes each of later Winchester Western, Silvertip and softpoint, 300s. I think I could find the guy and get some more of either 300. I bought what he brought to the show. Said he had more at home. I got the idea from reading the boxes that the earlier westerns may not have been designed to be as frangible as the later ones were?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love the Silvertips. In .300 that's all I hunt with. Pretty much bought up a lifetime supply a few years back. The 150gr Silvertips are what my Dad used and that was good enough for me. The last deer I shot with one had about a 3 1/2 inch hole where it went out the back side of the rib cage. Deer dropped DRT. grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dell
I'm wondering what type of performance has been seen on game, with the savage calibers,and silvertips. I haven't shot a deer with one of these. A coworker really liked them in his 270. Said the combo killed a deer deader than any ought six ever could. I picked up a box of older Western 303 silvertips. And two boxes each of later Winchester Western, Silvertip and softpoint, 300s. I think I could find the guy and get some more of either 300. I bought what he brought to the show. Said he had more at home. I got the idea from reading the boxes that the earlier westerns may not have been designed to be as frangible as the later ones were?

I have several boxes of 190 gr. 303 Sav. silvertips of the Winchester brand. The red and silver box. I find them to be second to none on deer. I have killed 4 with them. Two neck shots. 1 from the back of the neck with an exit under the chin grapefruit size. And one from the side of the neck with no exit hole. Both DRT. The other two were lung shots and they both went less than 25 yards. TIFWIW.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have shot 3 deer with 303 silver tips, 1 with a 300sav. silver tips and 1 with a 250sav. all did a great job!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing that I should have stated and forgot to put in the above post is that you're not gonna get 1/2 groups at a hundred yards with them. Not to worry though. They shoot minute of deer just fine and kill things dead. Not sure how much deader critters can get with more expensive "premium" bullets. I've always found that they've stopped breathing by the time I start gutting them.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I always thought that Silvertips were dual purpose: one purpose is for the game animal you're hunting , the other is for the odd vampire you might encounter whilst out and about. (Those tips are silver, no?) Me, I'm waiting on them to bring out the Goldtips, and my-oh-my wouldn't Platinumtips be the cat's ass?! Uncle Sugar seems to go in big for Depleteduraniumtips a lot these days. When are we gonna get some? grin

It's nice to have favorites. We all do. The fact of the matter is they pretty much all work ok. I think the psychological factor of having a favorite and knowing in your heart that it's the best bullet for the job counts as much as anything.

(When forced to use factory ammo in a .30/30, I seek out 170 grain Silvertips, mainly because that's what my old man swore by and they worked for me a few times too.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/12/13.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uncle Sugar seems to go in big for Depleteduraniumtips a lot these days. When are we gonna get some?

Been there, done that. They poke little bitty 1 1/2 inch holes in really thick armor. Other than that they're good for nothing. Unless you're hunting tanks they're worthless. For live game I much prefer Silvertips or standard cup and core bullets. And don't ask me how I know how a Depleted uranium sabot round will shoot from an M60A3 tank main gun, go through a paint conex and a concrete maintenance bay and out and about on the German landscape. Four days later we found the projo. Officially it never happened. wink grin

D
dell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks fellas! Good info all. Also got a box of 300 Rem. Bronze Points. Hope to get a tag and try something out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I always thought that Silvertips were dual purpose: one purpose is for the game animal you're hunting , the other is for the odd vampire you might encounter whilst out and about. (Those tips are silver, no?)

Geez.. silver is for werewolves, it only makes the vampires madder. grin

Used silver tips in non-Savage rifles back in the day until I had one fail to penetrate a shoulder and I chased it a looooong ways. My bad, didn't put the bullet where it belongs. But I use Partitions now just to cover those "oops" moments. grin

Last edited by Calhoun; 03/12/13.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those tips are silver, no?

Aw, come on! I thought that everyone knew that those tips are really aluminum. grin That's why they can get iffy if you try to bust up a shoulder. Quite often they just flat explode and don't penetrate when that happens. They work great on soft tissue but they're not that great when they hit heavy bone. Way old school tech but they do work great if you put them in the right place.

IC B3

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Skidrow

And don't ask me how I know how a Depleted uranium sabot round will shoot from an M60A3 tank main gun, go through a paint conex and a concrete maintenance bay and out and about on the German landscape. Four days later we found the projo. Officially it never happened. wink grin

Did you have a fellow by the name of Billy in your crew?

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you have a fellow by the name of Billy in your crew?

No. He was on my other brother Darrel's crew. grin They were doing a misfire drill with a live round up the tube. wink grin The misfire drill worked just fine. grin "on the way."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is a bag of 23 loose Super Speed .303 Savage I just found. Previous owner said he thought they'd be correct in a bear box maybe. Anybody know which box? Also, anybody know if the Super Speed loads should all be 190s?
[Linked Image]
I'm kind of on the fence on actual collector boxes. I've been accumulating a few over the last couple years. I try to at least buy a few at a time in order to bring the price down, so here is another one that's Savage related:
[Linked Image]

Brad

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
When I think back on the piles of what is now 'collectors' ammo that I shot away...

I shot up a bunch of Savage ammo once, to get the brass. It shot like crap as I recall. (.30/30's and .250's.)

Those Super Speeds would go in any blue and yellow 30's-50's ammo box. Or, put them in your gun and shoot them. 'Til you get done searching out a mint empty box to put them in you might realize that their true worth is in how well they shoot.

By then Winchester and Western were only making the 190 grain load, no? Remington was offering 180's as well as 190's too, I believe.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was thinking I'd pull the bullets and reload them with new powder and primer. I was more interested in the time frame so thanks for the response. My experience with shooting old ammo as is has been sketchy as far as consistency goes.

22 HP I'll be keeping as is and unfired of course.

Thanks for the Destroyer reference the other day...song brought back some good memories from a time way back.

Brad

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If it were me, I would shoot those .303's as-is. Super Speeds were darn good ammo and from the looks of those I'll bet they'll still work fine. They were all non-corrosive, too.

Yes, I too would keep those HP's as they are.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (270wsmnutt, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 257Bob, 58 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,364
Posts18,527,270
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.