Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This is probably "old news" to a lot of you regulars on this forum but it was news to me so I suspect it will be new information to others as well. I have an old Savage 99G in 250 (not D&T) that I wanted to scope with a Lyman Alaskan to closely replicate the first rifle I used as a kid to hunt deer. I searched high and low for a Stith mount for a 7/8 scope to no avail. After completely giving up I bought some reducer rings and was about to go the D&T route. My rifle has absolutely no collector value so why not?

Well, before I made it to the drill press, Lightfoot contacted me to let me know about a no drill sight he makes for 99s. It is a clever design and very simple to install. He charges about half the going price of the Stith and I personally like his set up better. After all, I'm not worried about "period correct". If any of you are in the same boat I was in wanting to scope your 99 but not wanting to drill it, you might drop Lightfoot a note. He's a great guy. - T.S.

Here are a few pics of the no drill mount-
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks for the endorsement!

Sure glad you had those scope rings! They bring a pretty penny on good ol' fleabay.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Sure glad you had those scope rings! They bring a pretty penny on good ol' fleabay.

They are one inch, and a dime a dozen.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jeff, I'll buy a dozen at that price. Is that shipped? LOL

Yes, they are one inch. I think Mike missed my comment on the reducer rings. laugh

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
never mind...

Last edited by Lightfoot; 03/11/13.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
TS, how did you get the mount to be that color?

Brian

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's the way Lightfoot sent it to me - blued. Some of the pics may look as though it's brown but it's actually blued. A very deep blue at that.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Russell,

That should work out perfect for you. And you need now is a TX hog. There are tons of them around you. Actually, I am taking out a 99 in 30-30 this week for one. Ranch owner is tasking me with a pig removal program.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
"Ranch owner is tasking me with a pig removal program."

That's the kind of chore I go looking for!!

Good luck Jeff.

Russell

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, that is a great mount. I've got the one before #1 and while I don't have it mounted just now its been on a couple of rifles and has worked great. It may not be really pretty but its slicker than snot on a doorknob. grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
"slicker than snot on a doorknob"

sick

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"slicker than snot on a doorknob"

Well, I picked it up from a boy from Mississippi. Once I learned it I've always thought that it was a good descriptive. Of course, I could have said that it was "slicker than Owl [bleep]." Perhaps that would settle better with Yankees. grin Not that I'm accusing you. wink grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No Yankee here. Native Texan. grin

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like I said, I'm not accusing you. But we do have a world wide forum. Who knows who might be listening. Big Brother? "All pigs are equal but some pigs are more equal than others." grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The past 2 years I've paid pretty good money to hunt pigs in South Carolina. Our guide said he hunts pigs with a 243, and my 250 looked about the same, so shoot them behind the ear. I told him I had to wait 20 minutes for the darned thing to turn around and show me the backside of it's ear, and it did put him down. A nice 220 pounder. This year I was messin with him about the behind the ear shot and he came back with " I didn't say you "HAD" to shoot him there, that's just a good shot to take." Then he held his fist up against a pig mount and said, "Right here, between the eye and ear, that will do it too." So, this year I shot him in the left eye, came out about an inch behind the right eye. Yep, it worked. Now when people ask how accurate is the 250 I say, "It's got MOPE, Minute Of Pigs Ear, or Minute Of Pigs Eye, either one works, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I generally go for head shots on hogs. Shoulder shots with an adequate caliber will do the trick. I just don't like having to track them. Half of all the feral hogs in North America reside in Texas. Hunting them is a popular pastime down here. The smaller ones are good eating too.

The behind the ear shot is always a good shot. It drops them in their tracks.

BTW, 220 lbs. is a nice hog. Congrats!

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will be hunting hogs for the next two days. Turkey starts Saturday here in Texas, at least where I will be hunting them in Medina county. I am lucky that I have a local place with a bunch of hogs and another place that currently has a ton of turkeys.

Hogs are funny. There can be zero and then 20 in 15 seconds.

I am bringing my 99G in 30-30 with a Lyman Alaskan carrying a post. If I can get them within 100, their going to be bacon. If I get a big boar, coyote feed.

I killed a medium size boar about two months ago with my 99G in 300 and a sow walked right past me right after the shot, five yards, without much concern. Weird animals.

So far I have killed them with a 308, 7x57, 300 Savage, 270 and 30-06. I missed one with my 348. I seen two BIG boars that are keeping me from bringing lighter bullets. All my 250s shoot 87gr bullets. I want them down for the count immediately.

G
G
How can I get in touch with Lightfoot I need one of these.? gdionne98hotmail.com

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
email on the way.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have purchased several Lightfoot mounts for my 99's. They are excellent!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,447 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,728
Posts18,475,912
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.