Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Navarro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I need some help on making a decision on getting an aftermarket Trigger for a Ruger Mdl.77 with a tang safety. This rifle caliber is a 270 and currently has about a 7-9 lb. trigger , needless to say way to heavy.
What kind would some of you recommend , Timney, Rifle Basic or some other choices ?
This rifle will be just a plain hunting Rifle and it's for my son, and also would You recommend Bedding it. The rifle shoots pretty good ,it's second hand but very clean and has a older Leupold 3X9 on it at this time.
thanks Navarro

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Did you try and adjust the trigger pull yet? The tangs have a screw on the trigger that adjusts weight.

The other option is a new sear from Rifle Basix.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take it to a smith and let him work on the trigger, or let him put a timmny in it. I have that exact rifle, except I rebarreled to 240 wby a few years back for kicks. I like the timmny in it. With it being for a kid, dont let him set the trigger under 3 Lbs.............

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The trigger in the old tang safety Rugers is as good or better than alot of the aftermarket triggers. I have worked on 7 or 8 of these for myself and friends and have gotten 'em all down to around 3lbs with no/minimal creep and minimal overtravel. I also like to bed them and float the barrel. Many people say that Rugers shoot better with the pressure point under the barrel, but I haven't experienced that on a single on that I've worked on.

The screw in the trigger has little/no effect until the trigger/sear engagement has been reduced (internal adjustment - no stoning). The overtravel is adjustable internally as well.

Too bad you not closer, you could have a look at any of mine.

Navarro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the information , and I will try to get the trigger adjusted first and then go ahead and bed it also, before I try to put any aftermarket trigger on it.
thanks again
Navarro

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Ruger triggers are very easy to touch up, both on the addjustable tang-safety M77's and the newer non-adjustable M77 MKII's.

Get a Dremel and some very fine Cratex wheels and start polishing (not grinding). Add a tiny dab of silicone grease or graphite to the contact points when done.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
What TXRam said, all the way.

I have two Old Models myself, and have worked over a number of others. Factory triggers will work down to about 3 lbs with a little stoning and trial and error adjustment. Mine are glassbedded thru the rcvr area and 3" of barrel and free-floated thwe rest. Both the .338 and the '06 shoot less than 1.5MOA - the .338 considerably less with minimally resized handloads, headspacing on the shoulder as well as the belt. The '06 gets factory or FL resized loads, only, due to a a slightly misshapen chamber. This brass is discarded after firing.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
"Stoning" may be needful on the new model 77's, but the tang safety models have a neat trigger adjustment setup inside the stock. Leave the trigger spring screw alone. The sear engagement and backlash are adjusted on the 'tuning fork' looking deal in the trigger block. You have to loosen a lock screw in the front of the unit, then you can set both sear engagement and backlash. Takes more than a teaspoon of sense...a good test for your gunsmith if he knows how to do it. Cheaper and better than most aftermarket trigger lash-ups!
slabsides

The Wise said: "This cannot be done". The Fool came, and did it.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've had a tang safety Ruger for over 30 yrs. The trigger adjusted better than the timmy's I've tried. It might need to be cleaned. Easy to do, open design.
Don't forget to tighten the middle action action only finger tight. E

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

303 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1minute, 117LBS, 2five7, 42 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,321
Posts18,505,838
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.