Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Crimson trace and open sights.

The crimson trace on my sig 220 will work to 30 40 yards in daylight easy enough maybe further never really shot or tried past that.

No bulk, precision adjustments pretty good way to keep the handy pack able gun ans still aim with aging eyes.

One other option, have a local eys doc. Set you up with two different contact lenses. One for close vision ( reading ) the other with minimal power but enough to better see your sights clear.

No glasses, and you can use open sights again with no problem.

Something you have to keep in mind with projected laser sights is that they are not legal for hunting in some states. I don't remember what Georgia's laws state since I didn't live there very long but Alabama is very clear about them being illegal.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also normally prefer the DA grip frames, but the Ruger Bisley is an exception. It works well for me.

Ruger ran a number of 5.5" Bisleys in .45 Colt, some with extra .45 ACP cylinders. I think those are a good bet, unless you go to the expense of a Freedom Arms, or a Bowen Nimrod.

Hard to find, but the Colt Anaconda was made in .45 Colt, and I think Dan Wessons were, too.

If you're happy with loads that run 1000 fps or so, then S&W Model 25's in their various configurations are a good bet.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I like the 5.5 inch 45 LC Redhawk.

Mine shoot great and I prefer the double action grip frame for recoil contol.

Yeah, and since the first time you posted a picture of yours I have been beating the bushes trying to find one. Hasn't been a successful journey thus far.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I am thinking red dot now over scope as most shots are under 50 yards but my eyes don't focus on the sights like they used to do.

I have a Burris FastFire II on my Ruger Hunter and it is as accurate as the scope I had on it. I like the Fast Fire more.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Look for an S&W 25-7.......there were only 2,000 made. I know of one that was butchered and chopped byt he owner and I own one as well so that means there are only 1,998 possibly left for you to find! grin

Matte blued finish, smooth double action, 5" barrel, and non fluted cylinder...what's not to like? LOL

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

The crimson trace on my sig 220 will work to 30 40 yards in daylight easy enough maybe further never really shot or tried past that.

No bulk, precision adjustments pretty good way to keep the handy pack able gun ans still aim with aging eyes.

One other option, have a local eys doc. Set you up with two different contact lenses. One for close vision ( reading ) the other with minimal power but enough to better see your sights clear.

No glasses, and you can use open sights again with no problem.

Something you have to keep in mind with projected laser sights is that they are not legal for hunting in some states. I don't remember what Georgia's laws state since I didn't live there very long but Alabama is very clear about them being illegal.

NY too. Nothing that projects a visible beam/spot onto the target.

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

This is very good advice, and I have in fact done exactly this.

I had laser corrective surgery done in 1994, and by 2004 my vision was really starting to suck. I didn't mind too much as I could still see my iron sights with my myopic right eye, but as the target got blurrier over the next few years the range at which I could confidently shoot at game with my handguns shrank.

I finally got my eye doc to prescribe some contacts for me, and as it happened my left (non-dominant) eye is -1 diopter, while my right (dominant) eye is -2 diopter. I quickly discovered that if I put a -1 contact lens in BOTH eyes, I had decent distance vision with my left eye for target acquisition, and I could see my front sight clearly with my right. Voila! My hunting vision had been miraculously restored!

Nonetheless, I'm looking at various red-dot handgun sights; the new tiny reflex-type sights look REALLY promising. I hate handgun scopes, they've always been a PITA for me to use, but I can see a red dot working great for this application. It doesn't hurt that I've been using rifle-mounted red dots for years and am very comfortable with them.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Lasers are not legal in many states for hunting. In Iowa, a laser that projects to the target is not legal, allowing Holosights to be used.

Jimmy,
I just picked up a Ruger Bisley convertible in 45 Colt with the additional 45ACP cylinder. I took it out last weekend and tried some loads. I'm delighted with it! At 25 yards it shot 1.3" 5 shot group with both 4227 and H110. Also with the ACP cylinder I pushed the envelope just a bit, but well within the Ruger's capacity, with 9.4 grains of Longshot behind a 230 XTP for another 1.3" group. I had not shot a single action for about 3 decades, but really liked the Bisley grip. The gun did not turn in my hand as do the plow handled singe actions.

My best groups wiht the Bisley last week, were lower powder charges, but that still means 1400 with H110, 1300 with 4227. and 1150 with the 230 XTP.

The only guns that have shot better than that for me at short range have been my Taurus Casull 6" and S&W PC X frames. I wouldn't recommend a X frame. They are just too heavy. As for a Taurus, I've had two RB Casulls, and both have been good shooters. The one I have now is a great shooter with a good trigger. With me behind the trigger (handicap there!) it's shot many one ragged hole, and some not so ragged, groups at 25 yards, 1" and under at 50 and 3" at 100. A good shot could have really done something with it, I have to believe.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"Hard to find, but the Colt Anaconda was made in .45 Colt, "
You can find them, but bring your wallet. I had one and sold it too soon last year,"only" got $1500 for my LNIB w/ sleeve. The last 2 on GB went for $2600-2700!

Last edited by Cruiser1; 03/12/13.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by frogman43
Look for an S&W 25-7.......there were only 2,000 made. I know of one that was butchered and chopped byt he owner and I own one as well so that means there are only 1,998 possibly left for you to find! grin

Matte blued finish, smooth double action, 5" barrel, and non fluted cylinder...what's not to like? LOL

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have one also and I agree it is a fine gune to hunt with.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I think I would like to try one for deer hunting next season, I think I want a double action, over 6 inch barreled gun to keep the noise down a bit, I want to mount a low power scope on it as well. Looks like Ruger has one but its a 4 inch gun I think? I shy away from Taurus but have never had one of their bigger revolvers.

I have both a 5.5" Redhawk and a Freedom Arms Mod 97 5" and it's the Mod 97 that leaves the safe all the time.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A 5.5" Redhawk sounds about like what you might enjoy. Cruising the Ruger forum might find you what you are after.

The suggestion of the 5" Smith Model 25 would be a super sweet one to. The one shown is a beauty. Deer should be honored to get double lunged by that!

A nice little Aimpoint Micro on top for easy shooting and a few thousand rounds of pre season practice and you would be ready for anything!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well

I would get the Redhawk if I could find one...

but really think about the Blackhawk...

maybe a Bisley?

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (19rabbit52, 160user, 1Longbow, 163bc, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 38 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,654
Posts18,533,853
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.