Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The one which goes around the camp to protect it. What did you think? Did it work?

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are bear hunting, why would you want to fence off camp? Why not set there in your easy chair and choot 'em when they come raidin'?.....Beats the hell outta pounding the brush looking for the elusive boogers.

RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've never used one, nor have I ever seen one used. Save your money and use common bear sense IMO. I spend a lot of time in bear country and even get them in my yard at times....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by DayPacker
The one which goes around the camp to protect it. What did you think? Did it work?

They work great. Several years ago the wife and I went to the Olympic Game Farm in Sequim, WA (pronounced SKWIM) and all they used to keep the grizzlies in their area was an electric wire.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A few outfitters in the Yukon/NWT fence off there planes with the small set up that run off D or C sized batteries. I would say if a bear really wanted in they would get it but if it helps you sleep at night then go for it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of the outfitters and hunter use them here for the horses as well as to keep the grizzlies out of camp. But like huntman said, if you are bear hunting....maybe try fencing them in. You should be able to get a closer shot that way.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use one for my llamas when I'm packing or hunting. Works great except I had to add a 3d wire. They'd belly crawl under it. I haven't had an issue with bears yet, though.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
The outfitter I did a wee bit of guiding for in the NWT barrens used one and it kept the grizzlies out of the meat rack

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was just reading about them and wondered if they work. I never used one or even thought about. If your bear hunting, right why use one. It does seem like a good idea around the meat rack, but I don't think it would stop a really determined bear. Thanks for the replies and info.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That is a zap wire.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We used electric fences with just one strand like the llama picture above to keep our horses in. But it kept grizzlies out too. Couple times we noticed grizzly tracks in the snow come right up to the fence, and then rip up the ground tearing off away from the fence

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A fence will work but only if it's properly set up. If the ground is very dry, it might not because the bear won't get shocked. Also, the most important part of an electric fence is the ground. If it's dry, you might have to drive the ground rod in a hole and keep it filled with water until the soil is thoroughly soaked.

One article I read said that once a bear hits one, it learns fast and won't be back. So, they baited the bears with bacon smeared on one area of the fence. Then they dumped water on the ground all around the bait to make sure the bear was well grounded for the maximum affect.

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I worked for an outfitter in Wy that was one of the first to use electric fence around the Fall hunting camp in Grizzly country. That was 1985. We were working with Gallagher Fencing and they instructed us to set the fence up like we were fencing out hogs. The fence was only about waist high, with 3 wires. Top and bottom were hot and middle was a grounded into 18 ft of cooper rod. The idea was for the bear to touch the hot and ground together with his head and get the full 7000 volts. It worked fabulously and we slept much better. The Forest service told us that it would not work, but now they tell people it is great and that they thought it up. Typical Govt. agency mentality.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Since I had to go out in the middle of the night one night to take a whiz and accidently wandered to close to the wire when doing so,I stopped using them.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen them around some rather permanent facilities and they're quite functional (3-wire, 2 hot 1 ground). Around temporary camps? Not us, but that was with weight restrictions. With no limit and the wife along, I'd give it some thought, so that she could sleep more soundly. It's a pain in the butt though to pack insulators or step in posts.

Locally, I suggested one of the C/D battery units to a friend whose labs were digging under or jumping over his chainlink installation. Cured that issue in short order. Battery life is fairly good, because they simply charge a capacitor and the power is delivered only when the short occurs.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/14/13.

1Minute
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I have used the portable electric fence up in Alaska when we floated down rivers fly fishing. Saw bears every day and had a few hanging around camp but never bothered us .The guides up there use them and advised they work well.

Also use when fly fishing hiking camping in NW Montana in griz country.

Last edited by ribka; 03/14/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use this Kencove charger that runs on 4 D cells. I've had them going for a week without running down. I have no idea how long they'll actually last. A charger uses very little juice until it's touched. Then it dumps a whole lot in a hurry. 4 D's only total 6 volts but the charger multiplies that by 1000 times or more.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Several years ago, some friends and I floated the Karluk River on Kodiak Island from Karluk Lake down the the estuary at Karluk Lagoon. Bears were everywhere and there were a number of camps right on the first low benches above the flood plain. All of them were enclosed with those little electric fences with solar panels to charge the batteries. As far as I could tell, none of them had been molested, despite the fact that bear trails worn into foot-deep ruts ran within a few yards of them.

If I had been camping, I would have damned sure been higher on the slope, away from the heavy traffic areas. But what the hell do I know? (I do know that it was a beautiful float and the fishing was very good.)

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Have used one in several different camps last 3 or 4 years. The primary uses are to keep bears away from the airplane or the meat cache. We store all of our personal food stuff behind the wire too. Have not had the bad experience of finding a shreaded plane or lost any meat. There is no doubt that they will kick your pants if you come in contact with them whilst they are working... blush
I cannot say that I have witnessed a bear getting hit by one. Lots of proof that bears are as common as rabbits in most places I hunt though wink

bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
I used one sheep hunting in Wyoming adjacent to Yellowstone Park.
There was lots of bear sign but never had an issue on four backcountry trips.
The hassle of setting it up was outweighed by sleeping better IMO. It is the one with two hot wires on top and the lower ground wire. added about 4 lbs to our panniers.
It may not work on every bear but whatever the percentage of bears it does is good enough for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

251 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 257_X_50, 31 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,863
Posts18,478,602
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.