Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict the Forbes will not be a big seller....Although big among many serious rifle people like you find on this board me included I own 2 NULA rifles, the majority of the rifle buying hunters Havent ever heard of Melvin Forbes or his Rifles and they are perfectly happy with the Rem. 700 or Tikka or Savage ect ect that they already have....I know all the advantages to owning a Melvin rifle but most aren't willing to put down $1300/1400 for a lightweight rifle that shoots under an inch, I bought a factory 700 SPS a little over a year ago put it in a used HS stock and it shoots amazing 1 hole groups with reloads..My Model 28 in 300wm does too...I think factory rifles have caught up in the accuracy dept. and lightweight is just not worth the extra $$$ to most of the Rifle buyers . Just my opinion !

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The forbes is sooo close, yet so far away from being something I'd put in my safe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I'm thinking a 700 long action, #2 barrel (24") and an Edge would be around 6.25lbs. I may be wrong? $349 for the action, $600 for the edge, $330 for the barrel and installation comes to $1279. That doesn't include bedding or a Timney trigger.

It'd be tough to hit $1400 at 5.5 lbs....

The Kimber Montana 84L is closest thing I can think of....and it's 5lbs 10oz....

5.5 lbs vs. 5lbs 10oz is only 2 oz .... not much, units are a silly thing.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come on Calvin............don't leave us hangin.......... grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Aviator
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict the Forbes will not be a big seller....Although big among many serious rifle people like you find on this board me included I own 2 NULA rifles, the majority of the rifle buying hunters Havent ever heard of Melvin Forbes or his Rifles and they are perfectly happy with the Rem. 700 or Tikka or Savage ect ect that they already have....I know all the advantages to owning a Melvin rifle but most aren't willing to put down $1300/1400 for a lightweight rifle that shoots under an inch, I bought a factory 700 SPS a little over a year ago put it in a used HS stock and it shoots amazing 1 hole groups with reloads..My Model 28 in 300wm does too...I think factory rifles have caught up in the accuracy dept. and lightweight is just not worth the extra $$$ to most of the Rifle buyers . Just my opinion !

Agreed. Not available in enough cartridges and options for the loonies. Too expensive for the one rifle crowd. The hard core guys aren't buying until it's all stainless.

I hope it does well, but in this economy? I see a lot of really nice higher end rifles languishing in the racks or in the classifieds, despite the current buying frenzy on most everything else.

Time will tell.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Agreed. Not available in enough cartridges and options for the loonies. Too expensive for the one rifle crowd. The hard core guys aren't buying until it's all stainless.

I hope it does well, but in this economy? I see a lot of really nice higher end rifles languishing in the racks or in the classifieds, despite the current buying frenzy on most everything else.

Time will tell.

Said it very well here.

I think some of the reasoning for higher end sticks remaining stagnent is the 'black' rifle craze. At the gun show on Saturday/Sunday no one had any 'walking-around' money to wheel and deal, and nobody was a' horse tradin'. My hypothesis is many folks shot-their-nut, so to speak, buying a black rifle thinking it would be the last they'd get. Now that things have calmed down, most don't have a secret stash anymore. Now that isn't entirely true for the hardcore loonies, but most I know have a few slick sticks already.

Just my 2 cents.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by Aviator

Time will tell.

I don't disagree with either of you. My hope is that Forbes understands their market position and strives to fill that niche. If they can be profitable selling 10-20 rifles a month, stay there. That will fill the niche and keep supply/demand in check.

Being a hard core bolt rifle loony, I have my opinions of potential success and failure. Had I been calling the shots, stainless would have been the only option from the start. I would have rolled the 20B out first instead of the 24. Maybe initially offer six chamberings?

They're building a quality rifle. I hope they can continue to do so, while balancing demand, QC and profit. If they can do this successfully, they'll be around a long time. I have no idea about their financial situation, budgets or overhead, but my hope is that they don't have to compete with Remington, Ruger, etc to be successful.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few comments:

Yes, the higher-end hunting rifle market is down, while the AR/tactical rifle market is up. I know one long-time custom maker of syn-stocked rifles with a fine reputation who is investing in a new tactical stock, just because of that. He was making 100+ rifles a year not long ago, and still makes some, but decided to go with the flow. I know other custom rifle makers who've had to lay off employees.

Despite that, so far the Forbes company has had a hard time keeping up with orders, which is why the introduction of the Model 20 action has been delayed. This despite not yet offering the stainless 24, though it's coming.

Somebody made a comment about 3" magazines for short-action rounds. The NULA Model 20 has always had a 3" magazine, with the chamber throated for the magazine length. The Forbes 20 will have the same magazine, just as the Forbes 24 is basically identical to the NULA Model 24.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Whether the Forbes will be a big seller or not has to be thought of in context of the size of the company. Robust sales for the Forbes probably would make a bean counter from a big name company start mopping his forehead. The Forbes 24B and any other
future release will be a competitive price point with the Kimber Montana and maybe a couple others if still being made.
Coming out with the 24B and the 30-06 family of calibers allows them to pick the "low hanging fruit" of the most commonly used.

Competition is a good thing as it gives the consumer choices and puts pressure on the manufactuturer to deliver the goods at a competitive price.

The Forbes rifle is simply another option to consider.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
To me, it seems like the Montana has everything the Forbes has and then some, save the bedding job. You can get the Montana for $1100 and with that you get the stainless barrel and action, an outstanding trigger, and CRF. If the Forbes is 5.5 lbs and the 84L 5 pounds 10oz, then that is a difference of 2 ounces. Skim bedding a Montana is a breeze if a dummy like me can do it.

I'm not here to smash on the Forbes. I am sure they are a wonderful rifle, I just can't see it being any better than a Kimber. Just my 2 cents.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Is it just me, but I think Melvin did a pretty cool thing here. Time will tell, but after seeing one , I think I will have one at some point. I like to think of it this way, that NULA I always wanted just became very reachable. I say kudos to Mr. Forbes, Titain and ER Shaw.........job well done.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeffrey,

The construction of the stock of the Forbes is so far beyond the Kimber's it's over the horizon, and the same is true with the precision of the action. And I woild be willing to bet one of either rifle that the accuracy of the average Forbes will be far superior.

If you believe CRF is essential to a lightweight rifle, be my guest.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If it was not for the fire there is a good chance I wouldn't have picked up on the Forbes Rifle or at best only seen it mentioned infrequently. On the other hand, it is hard to pickup a shooting or hunting magazine that doesn't have a Kimber add.

First off people have to know you are selling and in this case the linage. For the most part when at the range, the majority never heard of a Nula when they ask what I'm shooting, and I live within an hour and 15minutes of where they are made. Which is always the next question: Who makes them? Nula's are definitely a word of mouth product with a few infrequent plugs from the shooting mags.

Seems to be most here assume Nula and the Forbes rifles are well known established names. For the average shooter they are not and the Forbes is riding on Nula's coattail.

Last edited by battue; 03/19/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mule Deer,

I don't think CRF is essential, just nice. I feel that both rifles far surpass the realm of necessity, but then again I suppose necessity is relative to the buyer and their own needs.

If you say that the Forbes stock is that much better than the Montana, I have no doubt that it is. But, the Kimber stock seems to be pretty good. All three of mine shoot just fine, good enough that I couldn't justify putting a few hundred dollars more into them to improve accuracy.

I'm sure the Forbes is a wonderful rifle, and I will not question anyone who decides to put their money into one.

Take care,
Jeff

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
http://gunsmagazine.com/a-tale-of-two-rifles/

Here is a link to a recent magazine article comparing the Forbes and the Montana XWR. Mike

Mike027
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That article is the Montana Rifle Co, not the Kimber Montana that I was talking about. Sorry for the confusion.

I would never put money on a factory Kimber against a Forbes in the accuracy department. All three of my Kimbers improved greatly with bedding and a trigger tune. Luckily both jobs are simple to complete, at least in my experience.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
CRF certainly isn't essential, but my only failures to extract have been twice on 700s and twice on a Nula. Each time brass shavings from shooting had collected under the extractor and caused the problem. I've shot many more rounds out of CRF rifles than I probably ever will out of 700 variants.

Keep them clean and it's no big deal. Don't and CRF seems to be the winner.

Last edited by battue; 03/19/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
So if you shoot a lot and forget to clean your extractor, that CRF might be essential. smile

One reason I like CRF is because it allows you to unload (with a blind magazine) without putting a round all the way into battery, unlike a puch feed.

I forgot to mention the three position safety in my last posts. Again, not essential, just nice, and functional to boot.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The construction of the stock of the Forbes is so far beyond the Kimber's it's over the horizon, and the same is true with the precision of the action.

And it truly is.

The Kimber 84L I had left me wanting and I let it go. I found it of pseudo quality.

The Forbes I examined was true and worth the extra $$$.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man I`m liking the looks of these and they come in left hand too smile 270 Win or maybe a 280 Rem is what I would be considering.

Thanks to bigwhoop on an excellent review of the gun, I have no doubt from you initial groups that it will be a shooter those loads are really close right now already.

Last edited by gerrygoat; 03/19/13.

Gerry.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (1234, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 33 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,045
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.