Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Partsman, If, your grandfather, was with the C.E.F., and attested with the 43rd. Batt. "The Cameron Highlanders of Canada", based in Winnipeg-note that there were TWO "Cameron Highlanders" battalions in the "Great War" Canadian Corps, - then he would probably have been wounded in the aftermaths of the battles of "Langemarck", a place in "The Ypres Salient", this was a run-up, one might say, to the living hell that came to be known as "Passchendaele", OR, possibly at the aftermath of "Hill 70", a separate engagement.

I can probably determine this from the material I have on hand, but, it would require some time to research it and I am too busy at present, however, if you know his enlistment number, I would suggest logging onto the site for the C.E.F. and someone there will be able to assist you.

Google "Canadian Expeditionary Force website" and that should get you to it. This is a volunteer effort to keep the memory of the almost incredible effort by the tiny nation of Canada, that was such an enormous factor in the over-all B.E.F. victory on "The Western Front". I am quite a "nut" about WWI, as many members of my family volunteered, Sir Samuel Hughes was a first cousin of one of my great-grandmothers and her son, my maternal G.F., an officer with the 21st.Batt., served under Sir Sam's younger brother, his cousin, Brig.-Gen. William St. Pierre Hughes, also a Canadian champion rifle shooter.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My great grand parents are from scotland, my grandfather was a boy when they came over. Went to Scotland as a small boy for a funeral,my granmother is american indian, one helluva combination.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am 3/8ths german, with the rest supposed to be celtic and part of that going back to the scot clan. Must be why it gets my blood up yo hear the pipe's.
An old scotsman my dad new would get PISSED it you called him scotch saying " SCOTT G*# D@#$& IT, YOU DRINK SCOTCH!"

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I Love good bagpipes but it makes me want to shoot the bad pipe players

Years back I was at a mountain man camp and we had two players one foggy morning with out the other one knowing both of them got up just at day break at different ends of the camp and with in a minute of each other they started playing when they heard each other they started walking towards each other and met in the center of the camp.
Both players were very very good.

That was an awesome day and one hell of a way to get your self out of bed

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by kennyd
How about AC DC? Quite a different use. I have read that it takes 21 years to learn, so I will be86 if I start now. May have to stick with recordings.

You beat me too it. Listening to a little AC/DC right now in fact.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Only a sodden and dark hearted race of people could find any attraction in their screeching sound.
grin

I resemble that remark. I find the pipes soothing. whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
Scott to the heart. Music to mine ears. Nothing sweeter than Amazing Grace played on them...

X2...The sound of them touchs your soul if you are a Scot, no other way to describe it. Don't have to describe it to another Scot

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aye, I like the 'pipes!

I have posted this before, but for those of you who have not heard it, give it a listen!

It is Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bad Moon Rising" on the bagpipes -- played by the Battlefield Band.

This band tours a lot -- if they come near you, go see them.

John

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Bagpipes are wonderful....absolutely love them, curtesy of my English/Irish/Scot heritage from my Mothers side of the family. Definitely in the blood.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BangPop
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by kennyd
How about AC DC? Quite a different use. I have read that it takes 21 years to learn, so I will be86 if I start now. May have to stick with recordings.

You beat me too it. Listening to a little AC/DC right now in fact.

There's never been a better band than AC/DC was when Bon was still alive.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
When I was 17 I visited my family in Scotland.My father's kin live on the West Coast,near the Isle of Skye and my Mother's on the East,near Aberdeen.Touring around one day,we stopped at Glencoe,where the the MacDonald clan was massaccared by the traitorous Cambells.It was foggy as it often is in the west of Scotland,and as we walked up the trail to the historic site a lone piper began to play.When we got to the top we found a memorial cairn,dedicated to The Parachute Regiment,and this is where he was playing,alone and with respect.The only other piping that every affected me like that was listening to another single piper playing in the rain at the Culloden Battlefield,where my ancestors fought the English with most of the Highland clans.You could feel the ghosts.I tried to learn the pipes when I was young but lost interest.Both my cousins played in Scottish University Pipe Bands and then in Scottish Regimental Bands when they joined up. Monashee

Last edited by Monashee; 03/17/13.

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The pipes played at my wedding grin

Mine too. The skurl gets my blood pumping.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely badass EH.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gohip
You have experience bagpipes in a foggy, or non visible distance, in a battlefield, in person, to get the real effect of them.
When I was deployed in Iraq, an insane blackout sand storm rolled in during the middle of the day. The sun disappeared, day went to instant night, and you couldn't see 15 feet in front of you. I pulled my scarf up over my face to breath, and out in the distance it began. A bagpipe started playing and it's sound seemed to cut through the mass of dark, dust, and sand. It cut straight to my core and it is an experience I will never forget and will probably never be duplicated again.
The bagpipes have to be my favorite instrument. Nothing packs as much raw emotion and power in my opinion.
Turns out an American soldier decided to take that opportunity to play his pipes. Not sure how he did it in that thick sand storm.

This stuff is why I set by the Campfire.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's another good one...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Monashee

My family traces back to a male babe in arms that was carried from the Glencoe massacre , his immediate family slaughtered. I've not been YET but will go , god willing

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Monashee
When I was 17 I visited my family in Scotland.My father's kin live on the West Coast,near the Isle of Skye and my Mother's on the East,near Aberdeen.Touring around one day,we stopped at Glencoe,where the the MacDonald clan was massaccared by the traitorous Cambells.It was foggy as it often is in the west of Scotland,and as we walked up the trail to the historic site a lone piper began to play.When we got to the top we found a memorial cairn,dedicated to The Parachute Regiment,and this is where he was playing,alone and with respect.The only other piping that every affected me like that was listening to another single piper playing in the rain at the Culloden Battlefield,where my ancestors fought the English with most of the Highland clans.You could feel the ghosts.I tried to learn the pipes when I was young but lost interest.Both my cousins played in Scottish University Pipe Bands and then in Scottish Regimental Bands when they joined up. Monashee

MacArthur blood here. From piper blood aligned with the MacDonalds.

My grandfather's ashes were scattered at Glencoe.

Alba, aye.

http://www.rampantscotland.com/clans/blclanmacarthur.htm

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by gohip
You have experience bagpipes in a foggy, or non visible distance, in a battlefield, in person, to get the real effect of them.
When I was deployed in Iraq, an insane blackout sand storm rolled in during the middle of the day. The sun disappeared, day went to instant night, and you couldn't see 15 feet in front of you. I pulled my scarf up over my face to breath, and out in the distance it began. A bagpipe started playing and it's sound seemed to cut through the mass of dark, dust, and sand. It cut straight to my core and it is an experience I will never forget and will probably never be duplicated again.
The bagpipes have to be my favorite instrument. Nothing packs as much raw emotion and power in my opinion.
Turns out an American soldier decided to take that opportunity to play his pipes. Not sure how he did it in that thick sand storm.

Tip of the lid. Powerful words. Thank you. Thank you.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I could never make up my mind whether the troops followed the pipes into battle...or chased them.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by eh76

I enjoyed that...thank you.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,172
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.