Print Thread
Hop To
D
dell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I prettymuch know what this gun is now, and what it is worth in this bad of condition. But what was it when it was new. and when was that?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l536/delltait/100_2494.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l536/delltait/100_2495.jpg[/img]

GB1

D
dell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for the help fellas!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I suppose you could always ask on a muzzle-loader forum.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not much help, but I would guess in new condition, that was never much of a shotgun. The hammers are plain and flat, no indication of any real craftsmanship on the gun anywhere, so I would consider it more of a low end field grade gun that was made to function with no thought to looks or feel.

English guns were very trim in their fit and furniture, and their attention to detail was extensive. This appears to be utilitarian, who knows the manufacture, but it's day as a fowling piece is long gone...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
dell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by GunReader
I suppose you could always ask on a muzzle-loader forum.

Ok I'll sure do that. Admittedly I haven't spent time and seen what goes on here. But the name of the forum would indicate to me that most any gun related question should be alright to be asked here. Like the Q/A columns in the gun magazines. If this is not the case, then IMO the name should be changed.
Thanks for the reply shrapnel! I agree with your assessment of the guns grade and quality of workmanship. But I'd still like to know about it. So far I have only found one on an auction site that looked similar. And the only info was that it was Belgium made.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It looks like a Belgian gun to me, and likely made as either a late 1800's colonial trade item or a gun to be sold for the lowest price.

It would make a nice wall hanging.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
dell-
I forwarded some of your photos to a pretty knowledgeable BP person. His opinion was that the gun was probably of Belgian origin, and was an economy model at the time of original sale. Unless the barrels are unpitted on the inside, then it has deteriorated beyond rational hope of restoration and is of value only as a wall decoration.

Some more information may come from a google search on the words "belgian muzzleloading shotgun", without the quotes.

Good luck.
--Bob

D
dell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks all, for the help on this one. With out being able to find any markings, other than the proof marks that I showed. I didn't know where to start searching for info on it. I'll search for belgian muzzleloading shotgun and see what I can find.
I slathered on some snake oil in hopes of a more pleasant patina color, sted of the red orange rust we wiped off of it. Now it is hanging above one of the windows, I'm not going to waste safe space on it. But I think it looks kind of cool hanging there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any writer who spend much time on the field of worthless BP shotguns would starve - no one cares about the field except you, and you don't seem to know much either.

Here is what I know, they call them wallhangers, and even hanging on a wall they don't draw much attention.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It would make a good Fire Place Hanger, Sell it to Cracker Barrel

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bea175
It would make a good Fire Place Hanger, Sell it to Cracker Barrel

Probally the best idea. They'd offer you a big stack of pancakes and some maple syrup.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i have a couple of old B.P. shotguns and smooth bore rifles hanging in my gun room and i really like them. i dont think all of them would pay for one breakfast , but i stll like them.and have the wall space for more old guns if i can find them.hell i just enjoy guns. rio7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (22kHornet, 25aught6, 280ACKIMP, 222ND, 270wsmnutt, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,380
Posts18,527,505
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.