Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 229 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 228 229
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Funny I came across this thread. I'm looking into a .243. A mossberg ATR 100 for 300 bucks. I also see a Remington Model 7 used for 600 bucks. Both are light, and small and that's why I want one, for going way back in the brush where compact is handy. I got my eye on a spot quite a walk with back pack, lunch, bullets, heaters, and such for northern Wis. whitetails. A good bullet is what I am asking about. Many say 85 gr and such work well. Most are from Texas and southern states where deer can be small. How about big tough whitetails and mulies for a bullet?? Any experience with bigger deer and what bullets? Also, anyone have a Mossberg ATR, do ya like it? It is half the price of the used Rem. model 7.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ihookem, I would steer clear of the Mossberg. Not sure but that might be the model that had 'issues'. Either way I'd go M7 anyday over it.

Lot's of guys recommend the 95 Ballistic Tip and various Partitions, TTSX/TSX, etc..

I'm going with Prairie Goat's 95 BT idea. Cheap enough to target shoot and should work fine for deer.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Ya , I hear a lot of people don't like the Mossberg. It is a bit clumsier than the Model 7.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the Mossberg's had bolt lug locking issues. The bolt body and lugs are seperate pieces and are held inline by a pin. If the pin breaks the lugs don't lock into the receiver and the bolt could shoot back at your face.

There were stories about it on here a few years ago. No doubt they changed the design but I'd pass on the Mossberg.

The Remington or a Ruger Hawkeye might be a good rifle.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Oh I'm paintin' it, screw that generic grey bullchit.

Got these on the way too, gonna have a matching gun, boots and pickup.

Can you say big pimpin'?!

grin

[Linked Image]

Hard to tell from that pic, have you hit them with ingwie's Bedazzler yet?

<grin>

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You can use most any "heavy" bullet on deer from the 243. Pick something 85 and up, don't worry about it.

The 95BT is a great place to start for reloading.
Use the 95 Fusion in factory ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many deer, pigs, coyotes, wild dogs do you think Old Sav has killed with his .25?

Inclined to believe not too many or he would know how good it actually is.

YMMV

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Back to OP for a moment, .25-06, just because......

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Well that'd be stunt shooting.... anything less than 35 cal for big game is under gunned, don't you know? Never know when that buck will CHARGE!

I am w/ MMGravy here... 25-06 just cuz.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Both are small for deer.

Consider .277"!

The 243 is good for pests and target shooting however.

The 25-06 never caught on.

[Linked Image]

You really are a retard.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

JAP Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I prefer the 25-06 for deer but there's nothing wrong with a .243. Both will kill a deer or pronghorn graveyard dead.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Simply put, a 25-06 is the slightly bigger, stronger, faster older brother then the 243. They will both win the fight, but the 25-06 might get the first or second round knockout compared to a TKO or winning by decision.

25-06 with 110 Accubond or (my preference) 100 TTSX will flat lay the hammer.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
How about the 25-06 with the 80 grain TTSX. I have heard good things about this combo!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This schit always cracks me the [bleep] up and this is yet another collection of clueless dumbphucks talking out their azz,about the things they "know" nothing about. VERY impressive,to say the least and I've never impressed easily. EPIC [bleep] hilarity,yet again and I appreciate the oblivious humor(if only because it's THE best!).

The 25-06 simply cannot/will not hang,despite it's increase in case capacity and the mandated transitional L/A shift,which by default affords more COAL latitude. That due simply to the fact,that boolits matter far more than headstamps.

Gotta kick out the 257Bee Thread below,with the espoused giddy notion of the 87gr Hornie being "something",when launched in same. I reckon my "trouble" is,I've shot more .257" than anyone I know,seen or heard of and in more than a smattering of cases and relative capacities(understatement).

Can see this Thread getting even more funnier than [bleep]! I mean funnier than [bleep] +P+.

Now if only for conversation and to hopefully entice a coupla(or more) clueless brazen dumbphucks to further showcase their stupidity,I'll offer a modest extrapolation...as per a 2.8" COAL 243AI wearing a 22" spout and the aforementioned 257Bee/87/26" and grant the moot courtesy associated with 700 L/A COAL,if only to sweeten the pot for the Windowlickers.

Anywhoo...the S/A 6mm will grant 3175fps with a 105,the 257Bee 3825fps with the 87gr AKA a 650fps "head start". Sounds "great",though in actuality it is in fact far less filling. From a 250yd zero for each,in like atmospheres/sight height.

At 375-ish yds,the 650fps "headstart" is caught,never to be seen or heard from again. Every yard downrange further,the lowly S/A 6mm gains speed in direct comparison. At 1K it has a better than 525fps retained impact velocity advantage. "Energy"(one of the most moot of designators,but one which Windowlickers relish) becomes equal at the 180-ish yd line and every yard after that,the S/A 6mm gains advantage,reaching 1K with 617ft lbs,as compared to 234# for the Ping Pong Ball. Curiously enough,the "lowly" 6mm has the drift advantage from within the 50yd line and every yard beyond that,it gains a greater advantage. It's nearly halfa foot less at 400yds,15-inches at 600,34-inches at 800 and 65-inches at 1K. The best part is,it all flys over pointy heads! 6mm drift at 1K is but 67",600 is 21" and 400 is but 8.8".

I'm ALL [bleep] ears how a .257" 110AccuBomb with a sub .420BC 25-06 launch,is gonna "knockout" that which it cain't even begin to [bleep] touch?!!? To any/all...please feel free to use the amount of Imagination and Pretend you deem requisite,to feign a first [bleep] clue. I'm at ease in the sanctity of the SAAMI 243Win,bitchslapping the L/A .257" contender's ability,to begin to hang.

Now don't be shy.

Laffin'!

(Addendum for poor/dumb 'kid)

Now ain't the .257" 80TTSX,the one on the far left here?!!? I believe I have heard of it too.

Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

(Re-addendum for Whining 'hookem):

I reckon it plum [bleep] impressive,that you cain't spell "too". As an aside,ain't it a right proper dichotomy,that no matter whatcha shoot and where...you are still gonna suck?!!? Laffin'!

Now as to the POS TC,were you bitchin' or braggin'?

THANKS for the clarification and good luck on finding a State you can "catch" a Deer in.

[bleep] Wow +P+.

(Re-re-addendum..for poor/dumb 'blast)

I'll feign my "surprise",that you skirt ALL things germane,yet feel compelled to extoll your Vagina Monolgue,in regards to your sheer and utter cluelessness.

Congratulations?!!?

What next? Do you feel compelled even "more",to delve further into your incredible Dumbphucktitude and cite even "more" things you've never done,with even "more" wares beyond your means and from even "more" places you've never been?!?

Please find me "wrong",you amazingly clueless dumbphuck of repute.

Bless your heart.

(Re-re-re-Spanish Addendum,for a Texan)

'ass,

I PLAINLY stated the 243AI to 257BEE extrapolation,while goin' the extry mile to stipulate the SAAMI 243 in the 25-06 correlation. Kudos on being an even DUMBERphuck than anyone thought?!!?

To "most",50yds ain't "far"...though I welcome your version of "distance" and "performance". Laffin'!

Feel free to denote the "cost differences" betwixt the 243 and the 25-06,as per your esteemed "experience" in the "purchase" of such matters. Laffin'! As an aside,feel free to interject your "copious" recountings,of "all" the things you've Imagined to have "done". Laffin'!" DO add pics,to drive them "points" home. Laffin'!

Here's to you being all hat and nooooooo ranch.

Wow +P++.

'kid,

You amazingly stupid dumphuck. Keep licking your fingers and placing them in light-sockets.

No wonder you are gay. ([bleep])

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Well, for what it's worth, I settled on a TC Venture compact in .243 Win. Yep, 509 after tax and a 13 dollar background check. I hope I'm not to "[bleep] stupid" for buying one. Now I just need to go out in Wisconsin a actually see a deer.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Boxer, if the moderators wont say it I will!

Your lack of intellect is only magnified by your tiny vocabulary. If you can't express yourself without immature schoolyard swearing disguised with misspellings, do us all a favour and keep your rants to yourself.

You contribute nothing to this forum and drag the discussion down to a level not worth the time it takes to click on the topic. Go away.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The discussion is about choosing between the 243 and the 25/06 in an inexpensive deer rifle.

Please explain:

What does the 243AI have to do with the discussion?

What does bullet performance well beyond the range that most hunters shot deer have to do with the discussion?

But thanks so much for sharing your irrelevant expertise with us.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After shooting both side by side more than a little bit, I can tell you which one I'd take every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Which one Tanner?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by JAP
I prefer the 25-06 for deer but there's nothing wrong with a .243. Both will kill a deer or pronghorn graveyard dead.

What he said.

I have both, have killed many deer with both. Prefer the 25-06 as the more versatile caliber. IMHO the 25-06 is still the best standard "combination round" ie. deer/speed goat/'yote/varmint.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
Page 7 of 229 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 228 229

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (163bc, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 31 invisible), 1,886 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,487
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.