Print Thread
Hop To
B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Bought a new, blued Kel Tec PF9 a week or so ago for $280 and want to ship it off to have it hard chromed for some better protection against corrosion. Needed to break it in and make sure it worked first though.

Initial impression, man this little thing is a handful! After only one magazine full downrange, I realized I was going to have a problem. I wrapped the base of my right thumb with about 10 turns of masking tape, since that was the only thing available on short notice (pay by the hour and the clock was ticking!). After 190 rounds, the tape was bloody.

Shot darn close to point of aim, had 3 stovepipes in the 1st box and half (of 50's), no stoppages after that. I also brought my aluminum frame Taurus 1911 in .45 and a Ruger SR9 (9mm). Ran 10 rounds through the SR9 near the end, and it felt like a .22!

I ended up liking the trigger pull better on the PF9 than on the other two! It felt like I was shooting a S&W revolver double action. Smooth, predictable break, and could even watch the hammer arcing back. I like it!

A quick camera shot midway through, shot at 21' offhand in somewhat dim light.

[Linked Image]

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Mine is reliable, but it wears on the hand when shooting. The texture on the grip is pretty hard on the skin. I found it a little better with the magazine extension thing on the magazine.

It certainly puts a lot of defense in a little package.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
It certainly puts a lot of defense in a little package.

That it does!

I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the sights are, especially in comparison to its little brothers, the Kel-Tec P32 & P3AT.

Just measured the trigger pull, 6 lbs, 5 oz.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am glad you like it! Sherri, my wife, just loves hers, too.

I find it quite Interesting how some guns hurt some people and not others. Sherri can shoot the PF-9 all day long as well as the P3AT Kel Tec we own. Me? That damned little P3AT smacks the already arthritic first index joint of my trigger finger HARD and I am more than done after one magazine full. Same with the PF-9. On the other hand, Sherri cannot shoot my Colt Delta Elite worth a darn due to recoil, and I shoot it well and a lot. Some can shoot a plain 1911 all day, without a semibeavertail grip safety and bobbed hammer the slide AND hammer cut me to ribbons starting with shot number ONE and I am hurtin and bleeding from then on.

Keep shooting that PF-9 until it is sufficiently broke in the load it with some HP's and put it away. I agree completely that they are an amazing combination of portability and power. I am not sure that a full 9mm much smaller or lighter than this would be so great of an idea. Might be a about minimum size and weight for that caliber about now with the PF-9.

I wish I owned some Kel Tec Stock, they are doing a lot of things really right.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I've followed you and Sherri's delving into Kel-Tecs and remembered what you said previously. It is interesting how differently guns work for some and not others. I had no trouble at all with trigger bite on mine, but man that sucker wore out the inside of my bottom knuckle joint!

While looking at Ghost Connectors for my SR9, I ran across RTK Triggers for Kel-Tecs, amongst others. They claim to eliminate trigger bite, look pretty cool, and come in different colors too. Thought I'd throw that out for you. Since I've never experienced hammer bite, and don't know how it happens, and haven't used them, I have no idea if it works.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the idea, I will look at the RTK triggers, for sure!

HAmmer bite comes from firing a 1911 in original form. The hammer and original style safety each grab a part of my hand web and pinch them together into a bloody mess. I have XXL size hands and part of my hand flesh sticks up above the original style safety where the 1911 mechanism - slide and hammer in particular- just shreds it.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That SU-16 from Kel-Tec is really sweet too! Light as hell, storage for 2 mags, plus one in the mag well, folding stock.... what's not to like!?

Really appreciate you sharing yours, Mark! That thing was SWEET!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
I have XXL size hands

No kidding! bhemry, if you haven't had the honor of meeting safariman in person, then prepare yourself. The dude would have given Goliath pause... grin

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
That SU-16 from Kel-Tec is really sweet too! Light as hell, storage for 2 mags, plus one in the mag well, folding stock.... what's not to like!?

Really appreciate you sharing yours, Mark! That thing was SWEET!

I'd really like to get my hands on one of those SU-16s. I believe it'd make a darned good behind the back seat rifle.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
No kidding! bhemry, if you haven't had the honor of meeting safariman in person, then prepare yourself. The dude would have given Goliath pause...

LOL, I'll take your word on it HAJ. grin Would like to meet him someday.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You'd be truly blessed. I was.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, I am humbled. Thanks for the kind words. We enjoyed getting aquainted with you and Heather as well.

As soon as she decides on a campfire handle Sherri plans to join this forum and send Heather aka Red Dot a congratulatory PM and hello.

Hope to see you at next years hogapalooza!

MARK

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She'd love that, bud! She really liked Sherri smile

Turdlike, by default.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
to the original post. I put a Hogue rubber wrap on mine. It really helped.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,829 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,495,014
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.