Print Thread
Hop To
N
noduck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
So i'm going on a caribou hunt middle of Sept.. Thinking of flying into Anchorage early and maybe go fishing...

Ive heard you can walk from your hotel and jump on a float plane and go fishing for the day. Is this true??? Would like to go for salmon they still running middle of Sept???? Or how bout halibut or is that to far for a day....

If anybody could steer me any directions of names or resorts that offer this.. Would be awesome... I thought I would try here first before i go on a goose chase looking for stuff..

Thanks for your time, Noduck...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There should be some silvers going up ship creek then. Its right in anchorage, it's combat fishing though.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
There are several hotels right on Lake Hood, the largest float plane lake in the world, or at least the US. Pretty sure a bunch of air-charters operate out of there - Rust's for one.

It's do-able. All you need is money.

Don't know about other places, but silvers are running in the Kenai about then. You could hook an early morning commuter down there, have a fish-guide meet you, and go back in the evening. The commuters start running about 6 a.m, and last until about 11 pm, IIRC. On the hour/half-hour. ERA or Grant.

They have web sites.

Seward or Whittier would be within reach of a drive-down for Halibut - Seward is a 2.5 hour drive, Whittier much closer (about 1.5 hours), but you have to time the drive thru the railroad tunnel to when it's open. It's about 3.5 miles, I think, one way traffic at a time only. There's charter outfits both places. I think Seward still has silvers in the bay then - a combination, or either/or salmon/halibut trip are options.

Splendid scenary either place.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most saltwater charters wrap up there season Labor Day, and trying to do a saltwater trip will make for a long day, like 4am to 10pm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As mentioned you can fish Ship Creek in downtown Anchorage, or even Bird Creek out towards Girdwood. Also, many of the fly out trips usually end around Labor Day, but you still maybe able to find one. As far as Ship Creek, horrible run last year, and it was not crowded at all in my opnion.

IC B2

N
noduck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks so far for the advice, Just thought about maybe renting a car..As well as still flying out... Trying to find all options..

I see Las wrote about driving to Seward was wondering if anybody might know of anywhere elese might be a place to check out..

Thanks... Noduck....

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Seward would be the closest to check out for Halibut. Whittier is closer, but you'll usually end up spending more time traveling on the water to get to fish.

Ninilchik would be on the list for Halibut, but it is going to be shutting down like Paul said. Homer is a long drive, but a quick flight...

I'd drive to Seward if I had a day to burn. Wouldn't mess with Homer unless you are staying overnight.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,290
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.