Print Thread
Hop To
J
jmac4 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I did some trading for the subject gun. I'm into it for about $125.00. It appears to be all original with the shotgun buttstock (Utica address, no extra holes etc). It is rough(worn bluing on receiver, dings and scratches in wood etc) but functional and bore is bright and rifling crisp. 30-30 win caliber. Gun has been used and hunted. Basically the guy wanted something I had real bad, that I didn't want anymore and this is the only thing he had that I was remotely interested in so I made the trade.

My question is should I refinish/refurbish? And how far should I go? Thinking wood needs some TLC and maybe just leave the metal alone.

Needs a deep cleaning first. Just looking for thoughts,ideas and suggestions.

Thanks

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Pics? Awfully hard to tender advice without seeing what it looks like.

That said, I have come to feel that honest wear on a vintage gun should be left well enough alone. The key word there is 'honest' for it has gotten that way by being used for its intended purpose and reasonably well taken care of. I would be the first one though to modify/re-hab an old gun if it has already been mucked with, ie: d/t'ed, sanded, refinished, reblued, etc.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

As a collector,I can tell you that if the bluing and stock finish are original, then any rebluing, or sanding and refinishing, will permanently destroy the collectors value and relegate it permanently to the category of a low end shooter.

I would simply give the metal a really good cleaning with a good grade cotton cloth, using no abasives of any nature, just using Hoppes bore cleaner, plus the copper solvent, plus the lead solvent. If there is active rust, then I would carefully use something to kill it, but not try to scrub it down to the bare metal. A little WD-40, applied with a rough cotton cloth and a litte elbow grease, has worked for me, but there may be better products. When finished, apply a light coat of RIG grease to the metal. It is a rust preventative and looks great.

As for the stock, I would not sand or refinish it in any manner. I would give it a thorough cleaning with Murphy's soap oil, then allow to dry competely, and then in a day or three apply a small amount of Liquid Gold with a rag. Resist the temptation to touch it up with a coat of stain. You will ruin it. Once the Liquid Gold is totally dry in a couple of days, a very light coat of quality gunstock wax would be fine.

Once you have done all of this, you will be able to see what you've really got, and it may look a lot better than you think. Replace any broken part with original parts, and then leave it alone! A collector will want it, but not if you alter it.

If you get to any part of the cleaning where you are in doubt, then stop and don't go forward. A collector will know what to do.

Hope this helps

Mannyrock

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I certainly agree with Mannyrock points above. It sounds like this carbine came about the wear it has honestly, through being used as it was meant to be used. It's current condition tells nearly endless stories and to sand that away or cover it up with a reblue would be tragic (in my book). Pictures would help a lot but it sounds like this gun is still a fine using carbine and has plenty of life remaining. Refinishing is not going to make it a better hunter/shooter. By the way, you got yourself a very nice variation - a great, lightweight and handy Savage carbine to hunt with - in a desirable caliber as well smile

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
With the little you have in it, I would clean it up, find a nice Lyman or Redfield receiver sight that fits on the upper tang and go huntin'. You will be money ahead and have a very good hunting carbine.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

A well used honest carbine. It's character and the stories it could tell is what makes it interesting to me.

I wouldn't change a thing.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,556
Posts18,473,040
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.