Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider
They obviously work for 'ya Al.....seen pics of your sheep shot between the eyes! If I could shoot like that on a hunt I wouldn't use anything else either. Wouldn't want you shooting at me I know that much. Please understand I'm not bashing NF at all. They obviously have a heckuva product. My 52 year old eyes aren't good enough at dark thirty to reliably see all those hashes, dots, etc. I'm weird I guess.

With the illumination turned on, the reticles are easy to see in low light. The batteries last hundreds of hours on the lower power settings in my experience.

Thanks,

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
To answer the OP's question- yes they are worth it. Positively and without a doubt.

Nightforce rules the roost for just plain working. Even some of the recent S&B's have started having problems. The 2.5-10x32mm is, in IMO, the best hunting scope made for 0-600 yards. The tracking, durability and reliabilty is simply unmatched.

Wow, there's a certain copy and paste participator here that will roll around the floor clutching his chest when he sees this.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
It's unfortunate JG. Failures with the S&B tac scopes used to be almost unheard of. The new contract ones don't seem to be holding the rep.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wish I could get a 3-15 NF for under 1500 bucks.... I'd love to have something track like crazy.

One thing I notice about scopes with issues tracking/staying zeroed, is their tendency to shift POI during a string of fire with the turret adjusted. That, is the most frustrating GD thing I've ever experienced with a rifle in my hands.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Yep. If people actually tested their scopes, i.e. mapped the adjustments out a full 30-40 MOA or 10 mils, and grouped it enough to actually see POI shifts day in and day out, they'd toss'em across the yard.

Was discussing this with my pard tonight. They mapped those two Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR's that had bad tracking issues at a hundred, and both were off right at 9% at 30 MOA.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd love it if Nightforce could come out with a 40-42mm version that kept the good adjustments, skipped the illumination and fancy reticles, and kept the weight down. What I want is the adjustment reliability, I don't need the part of the weight that accounts for it being able to survive combat use by Marines.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tanner
Wish I could get a 3-15 NF for under 1500 bucks.... I'd love to have something track like crazy.

One thing I notice about scopes with issues tracking/staying zeroed, is their tendency to shift POI during a string of fire with the turret adjusted. That, is the most frustrating GD thing I've ever experienced with a rifle in my hands.

Tanner:

I will be selling one in the future if you're in no hurry. I have a S&B 3-12x50 PMII ordered and will be delivered in about 4 months, then my NightForce 3.5-15x50 will be up for sale - probably for $1400. Just giving ya a heads up!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 03/23/13.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman
I'd love it if Nightforce could come out with a 40-42mm version that kept the good adjustments, skipped the illumination and fancy reticles, and kept the weight down. What I want is the adjustment reliability, I don't need the part of the weight that accounts for it being able to survive combat use by Marines.

Agreed. 20 ounces and a 40mm objective. I could like that.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

It already exists... Albeit not a NF....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Much less expensive as well!

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

I'm not sure that you can get perfect mechanical reliability without the whole thing being durable. Which means weight. Personally I'm not interested in scopes that can't survive use....

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Formidilosus

Which specific scope do you have on that rifle - it looks like a super sniper, I've had a few friends recommend SWFA scopes but have never really looked into them - maybe I need to re-think this.
Also I have to look at the Bushy HMDR you mentioned as well. I'm about to start practicing on Pdogs well beyond 300 in the Kansas / colorado winds so good tracking is pretty much a must. The entire game here is to get ready for longer shots on speed goats.

The new nightforce competitions are pretty nice - yet even more pricey.

Thanks
Spot

It already exists... Albeit not a NF....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I'm not sure that you can get perfect mechanical reliability without the whole thing being durable. Which means weight. Personally I'm not interested in scopes that can't survive use....

No middle ground? Marine proof down to unreliable adjustments is one step?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm not packing a 30 ounce scope around the mountains. Regardless of how reliable it is, it's borderline unportable.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm not packing a 30 ounce scope around the mountains. Regardless of how reliable it is, it's borderline unportable.

Even if the total weight isn't bad, an extra pound of scope on top of a lithe sporter kills the handling.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Exactly. It's more where the extra 10 or 15 ounces is located rather than the issue of the extra weight. Strapped to the top of a lightweight rifle, it makes the entire package really top heavy and awkward. The other issue is when you are packing it in your hands, as when you're sneaking through the lodgepole blowdown, that weight adds up fast.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 2.5-10x32 is only 19oz, which ain't the end of the world...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The 2.5-10x32 is only 19oz, which ain't the end of the world...

But 32 is the end of that scope.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Like I said, a Nightforce 2.5-10x40 at 20 ounces would be great. I'm not interested in the 32mm, I looked through one and was not terribly impressed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm definitely with you fellas. I have a hard time liking the 32mm, but a 40mm at 20 ounces would go straight onto my To-buy list.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 35, 44mc, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, 10 invisible), 1,568 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,996
Posts18,481,156
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.