Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm not much of a handy man but I just "successfully" made my own modified case guage that screws onto the hornady oal rod. I ended up just drilling an appropriate size hole in the base of a once fired 264 win mag case, ordered a tap to set the threads and "walla".... a modified case guage in 264 win mag.
The case is a little snug in the chamber so I'm not sure i've mastered the technique yet. But I am excited to know now I have everything I need to make modified case guages for any cartridge I want.
The one thing I wrestle with is whether or not to full length resize so the case fits in easily (but then the bullet wont slide thru the neck), or don't resize (so the bullet slides easily thru the neck) but the case is a little snug????

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats. Don't resize the case. Snug is good. If you want, try putting the case in a drill and polish it with some 00 steel wool at medium speed.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I'm not much of a handy man but I just "successfully" made my own modified case guage that screws onto the hornady oal rod. I ended up just drilling an appropriate size hole in the base of a once fired 264 win mag case, ordered a tap to set the threads and "walla".... a modified case guage in 264 win mag.
The case is a little snug in the chamber so I'm not sure i've mastered the technique yet. But I am excited to know now I have everything I need to make modified case guages for any cartridge I want.
The one thing I wrestle with is whether or not to full length resize so the case fits in easily (but then the bullet wont slide thru the neck), or don't resize (so the bullet slides easily thru the neck) but the case is a little snug????

Where did you get the tap? The only place I could find one had a minimum order of $30 and I only needed one tap. Thanks

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Congrats.
Could you share the thread size please.

Thanks

RC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
5/16 X 36, or 9/32 X 36 I've been told.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
5/16-36 tap, seller jtsmach8xzw, 7.95 + 4.00 shipping (eBay ...jts machinery and supply co.), I think the drill bit I bought was 9/32nds ( I just took a modified case with me to lowes and found a bit that fit it the best).
Update on how it worked.....
Unsized, once fired case got stuck in chamber ( I pushed it in fairly hard to see what would happen. Had to put bolt in to grab it and pull it out).
SOLTION: full length resize, trim.
New problem: now bullet wouldn't slide thru neck.
NEW SOLUTION: repeatedly seat a bullet, then remove it with w kinetic hammer puller (4-5 times). Then wrap drill bit with course steel wool and spin it in the neck till bullet slides effortlessly (about 4 times, checking after each 30 seconds or so of drilling).
NOW, "WALLA"... Works like a charm, easy to insert/extract and bullets slide back and forth effortlessly.

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 03/23/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RBH

Thanks for the info. I just ordered one for my self. Been wanting to make my own for some time. Made one for a 338-06AI using a 1/4" all thread seems to work OK but doesn't lock.

Ed

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

How did you hold the brass?

How did you hold it square to the drill/drill press?

I believe the best option is to use once fire brass from the specific rifle.

Dave

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
RBH,
You don't have to do the kinetic hammer thing....just put case in sizer and bring ram up until just the neck goes through the expander ball and stop go no further.

Me? I do my own too but I use once fired from the rifle I plan on using only thing I do is knock out primer and trim and polish......of course after drilling and tapping.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Tom, thanks for the heads up on the expander ball. I'll try that on my next one.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RDW

How did you hold the brass?

How did you hold it square to the drill/drill press?

I believe the best option is to use once fire brass from the specific rifle.

I just put brass head in a vice, lightly tightened, drilled slowly by hand with my free hand helping to hold the brass still and tapped by hand slowly, holding the brass the same way. Prolly not the most square but seems to work. Though gripping the brass with the vise may have contributed to its tightness in the chamber...?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
thanks for the info!!

RC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RC
I have used a drill press and those soft plastic inserts for a vise placed in a small drill press vice to hold the cartridge. These small vises work great for hand drilling also. Mine cost about $12 at Harbor Freight but many home improvement stores carry them also. As well as the soft plastic inserts. Start with a drill bit just a tiny bit larger than the primer hole and drill progressively larger holes till you get to the desired size. If you try to use too large a bit it will be more likely to gall and twist the case out of the vice. A few drops of cutting oil will also help. Good luck.

PS As an alternative you can drill a hole the size of the case in a block of wood then saw the block in half and clamp the case in the block with a pair of locking pliers (vise grips).

Last edited by Prwlr; 03/24/13.

Ed

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (222Sako, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 1,900 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,003
Posts18,481,389
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.